Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC 2018: Burgundavia's 3-wheeled, 3d-printed truck (Feb 8 - 1st print)  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
How does this work exactly, i.e. why would a standing print turn out better? Knowing so little, I don't know the effect of the different arrangements. Is it because it will be in fewer pieces and therefore be more likely to align properly?

Theory is this: the most common nozzle size is 0.4mm, but usually you print with 0.1mm layers. That means you can get finer details vertically vs horizontally (in theory).

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Just like the laser material deposition stuff I used to work on - although that didn't always work so smoothly back then.
I badly want to see this printed now  :D

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
A closed cab sliced just above the wheel rim and the bottom half of that cut flipped over on the print bed would give a good result.

Ok, resliced. I did a second cut at the window height so I didn't end up with a giant overhang for the roof line of the front of the cab.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
That roof will have a lot of visible lines on it. It might be better if you can print it vertically.

Looking forward to the results!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
This is looking wonderful so far.
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
 8) 8)

I haven't decided on how I am going to sell it. Would you interested in the 3D model or a printed copy?

I dont mind a kit that I would need to assemble, that way I can tinker more freely.
Just so long as it is not a file as I do not have a printer.
 ;)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
I dont mind a kit that I would need to assemble, that way I can tinker more freely.
Just so long as it is not a file as I do not have a printer.
 ;)

That is what I was thinking - offering up either the file or a printed kit for you to assemble as you desire.

this is by far the best 3d work in the comp. (Not saying mine and Beefy's work is horrible, but this is inspired.) I am more than happy to give advice to the beat of my ability in order to get the best print results. In fact I will be mentioning this to Eureka Nic next week as he is starting to take an interest in 3d and this will appeal to his sense of whimsy.

Thanks! I have been working on a side on another whimsical vehicle, the Helms Bakery bread truck. I looked at it for this, but given it was mass produced and succesfully served for 30+ years, it really didn't fit the theme

As for seeing it printed, the replacement board is sitting in customs in Richmond. Hopefully it will clear early next week, as time is ticking down rapidly.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Love that truck.  I'd roll in that every day!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: BSC 2018: Burgundavia's 3-wheeled, 3d-printed truck (Feb 8 - 1st print)
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:24 AM »
And we have our first print:

So I accidentally printed with brim instead of skirt. Oops. I was tired (the print ran for about 3 hours overnight). Also the green colour was my wife's choice - she wanted it for sailing parts, so I am using it for test prints and things that will be painted. I have a nice sedate grey for final projects.

As scurv and others who 3d print will notice, my 3d printer is far from dialed in on quality. Given that this truck was the second successful print I have ever 3d printed, I am not surprised. Notably I am missing a part cooling fan and my belts need tightening (and replacing with metal core belts). It is also under extruding quite a lot, plus the Creality version of Marlin is ancient. I have a better board arriving, likely not here for the end of BSC.

Assembled(ish), it looks like this:

The Model A is a Lledo truck, the unpainted figure an Infinity Ariadna and the painted figure a Copplestone Back of Beyond Chinese.

So the truck is too big. I am going to shrink the final product by about 25-30%. Also, I have a tonne of small changes to make to the truck to make it print half-way decently. My short list includes
* Thickening parts to print correctly. The fenders didn't even print and the back corners of the cab don't have enough support
* Breaking up the roof and printing it vertically (I knew I was going to have to do this, decided to print it like this anyway)
* Removing or making some details bigger
* Redoing the bumpers entirely - they didn't even print
* Recutting the cab up - the very top most piece didn't even print correctly

I also didn't print the boxes, I know they will need work. I am out of town for a few days on vacation, so lots of time to tinker on the next draft before I am back next week to showcase that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:51:25 AM by Burgundavia »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »
cool! 

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
What are brim and skirt?

Looks cool, and if that's the quality of a second print I'm impressed.  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
What are brim and skirt?

Brim is what you see on my print. The part sits on the bed but is surrounded by a solid plastic.  A skirt it a couple of lines of plastic laid on the bed around the part, but not touching the part.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
It sounds like you have a few small problems to iron out with the printing side of things but it certainly looks promising.
 8) 8)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 03:44:42 AM »
Spent some time working yesterday and today to clean up some of the printing issues I found with my first draft. First up, some pieces were a bit too thin to print properly.

Back corner issues:
First up – the back corner of the cab. As the backside of the cab is curved, it thins quite a bit at the very back corners.

When you bring this into Cura to slice it for printing, the problem becomes obvious.

The solution to this is to thicken the back wall of the cab, which I did by adding a flat piece to it:

Once you bring that into Cura, you see that the narrowest part is now at least 1mm thick, so the piece shouldn’t be so weak.

I also looked at fenders and the top of the windshield, which I wrote up here:
http://www.warbard.ca/2018/02/10/bsc-2018-correcting-some-too-thin-errors/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
Brim is what you see on my print. The part sits on the bed but is surrounded by a solid plastic.  A skirt it a couple of lines of plastic laid on the bed around the part, but not touching the part.
Got it - thanks.  :D