Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia  (Read 63668 times)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
I didn't mean state troops but Russian mercenaries.I don't know about in Russia but we consider Russians and Cossacks different and I thought there might be a few Russians mixed in with the Cossacks.I know I'm probably wrong but until my books arrive I will ask here. lol
Mark

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
This is very interesting.
A period I know nothing about.
Thanks to all those who have added information.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:26:39 AM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
I have an army that could stand in for the Russians in 15mm. Just painted them up last year from figures that have been in my lead mountain for close to 20 years.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 01:22:05 AM »
So do you think the Cossack foot soldiers from the TAG range would be alright? I don't think there would be cavalry at least in Ermak's expedition.Would there be Russians or just Cossacks on this expedition?
Mark

I am thinking the provincial streltsy with green stuff mail or padded jerkings might do. Subject to what Andrei and Cuprum can suggest.

The only issue might be that those sets are a little smaller in size than the rest of the range, IIRC. I got some of them by mistake a few years ago.

Cossacks were runaway serfs who settled in colonies along the rivers in Tartar country. Those who formed the largest colony (along the Dnepr) were Ukrainian and therefore dressed in the Polish style with shaved heads and long moustaches. Those who settled on the Don and Volga were ethnic Russian and would have dressed like Russians with long hair and beards. Again I defer to any information from Andrey or Cuprum on these points.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:25:08 AM by huevans »

Online cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »
Huevans correctly explained the origin of the Cossacks. It can also be added that the Cossack subculture was originally built as an exclusively military society and military democracy, since they lived in territories that were not formally belonging to any state (until the 16th century). These territories in Eastern Europe were called "Wild Field", they were constantly raided by various nomads, mostly Crimean Tatars. Tatars tried to destroy any settlements on this territory, and people to seize and sell into slavery. The Cossacks themselves, and on their own initiative, regularly made military campaigns against their neighbors. Most often they were campaigns to Crimea and Turkey, but they had to attack Russia and Poland. Sometimes even in alliance with the Crimean Tatars. Cossack at that time could be anyone who wants to accept the Orthodox faith and will be accepted into the Cossack collective at the general meeting. Among the Cossacks met Europeans, Turks, Tatars, Poles and even Jews. Cossacks often took the wives of captives, brought from campaigns - mostly Turkish women and Tatars. Therefore, among them, eastern features can be seen. Also, the Cossacks very often acted as a hired military force - professional, well-armed, but sometimes poorly managed.
After the entry of these territories into Russia, the Cossacks, in the main, retained their traditional way of life and became a military class. The Cossack was required at the first request to fight with his own horse, weapons and uniforms, and for this state provided him with extensive privileges. In the same way, the Cossacks were resettled to other remote border areas of the country where the probability of border raids was high, forming new Cossack territories (Siberian, Semirechensk, Trans-Baikal Cossack Hosts).

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
The main part of the detachment of Ermak is made up of Cossacks from the Volga. It should be remembered that the Cossacks mostly procured clothes and weapons for themselves, and basically they were military trophies. And mostly of Asian origin - the Tatar and Turkish, in the case of the Volga Cossacks also Persian. Just robbed and Russian merchants. In general, they looked pretty colorful!
Thumbnails from the TAG can be used completely. But I would advise you to make a possible conversion - with the help of "green" stitch mails, paper hats, cotton jackets, etc.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 06:12:44 AM »
And I want to express my opinion on the use of horses in the campaign Yermak. Of course, at the initial stage, the movement was along rivers, but in the process of conquest, a sufficient number of trophy horses were used, which they used. After all, we had mountains and forests in the Urals, and with the advance into the depths of Siberia, the landscape changed. And especially in the winter, when the rivers were freezing they had to travel by horse, sled dogs and skis. And the clothes of the Cossacks used indigenous peoples, as in this figure:

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 06:24:49 AM »
And indeed, the use of skis in the Russian army of that time should not be forgotten. There were whole "ski trips":

Online cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »
In Siberia at that time, it was much easier to move along rivers than in the taiga, since there were practically no roads. All settlements were also located exclusively along river banks (except for temporary camps). In addition, in the mountains and the taiga it is simply impossible to fight effectively on horseback. In winter, the movement is also conducted on the surface of the frozen river, and that's when horses were used.

Equestrian armor for the Cossacks was absolutely unnecessary in this campaign, in addition, the Cossacks at that time generally preferred the tactics of the foot battle, realizing the advantages of firearms.

Skis in battle were never used. Cossacks Ermak in winter fought twice - for the first time the Tatars killed a small party of fishermen (but this episode is difficult to call a war), and the second time the Cossacks committed a night attack on the camp of Mametkul. These are the only episodes where horses could be used.

Andrew, the campaign of Ermak is well studied - no need to produce excessive entities  ;)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:54:20 AM by cuprum »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 06:59:12 AM »
There is a great book with translations of contemporary documents and chronicles (like the Remezov's Chronicle) authored by Young  from 1975.

Here is my Yeremak in 1/72 scale before receiving armor from the Tsar.

My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Online cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »
Quite good :)  But in battle, he still probably wore armor.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »
Some redo reconstructions:

Khan Kuchum

Yeremak

Cossacks fighting Mansis

Mansi warriors

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2018, 07:27:20 AM »
Probably yes that's why I'm working on the armored version , as well as some cossacks and Mansis.

As for the boats, do you think that zaporozhian chaika could pass as struga?

As for more diversity in Muscovite forces check Mansurov's reinforcements and campaign from IIRC 1598.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:30:50 AM by M.P. »

Online cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
I think the Cossack chaika is fine. We need only take into account that it should not be very large, since boats often had to be dragged from one river to another by land.

Will the esteemed public have an interest in a 28-mm crowd-funded project on the theme of the Yermak campaign?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:02:55 AM by cuprum »