Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 126486 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones Project (pg3 House Lannister)
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
Shields look pretty damned good to me. Show us the next batch then  ;D
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones Project (pg4 more Lannisters)
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »
Thanks for the comments, hopefully with some practice (and a smaller brush) my shields will get better.

Shields look pretty damned good to me. Show us the next batch then  ;D

Just typing while you posted  :D

The first of the Lannister foot are ready...originally I was going to use these figures for a different House, but ended up repainting them halfway through the process.

As you can see, I got a bit bored of red, and increased the proportion of yellow in the uniforms. I’ve also varied the shades, to suggest that some of the tunics are newer than others...I’m working on the basis that even for a rich House like the Lannister’s that there isn’t a warehouse somewhere stocked with uniforms, and some may have faded through wear....anyway that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Also, there are no sigils on the tunics...I couldn’t face so many lions, and besides these are just the plebs....unless they are fighting another House with a red/yellow uniform everyone knows who they are (perhaps they have an “away” kit for fixture clashes?)

The next bunch will have some chaps with shields, suitably painted with lions, so I will mix these in once I stick them onto movement trays.

Group shot

Glad I went with snow bases now....provides a good contrast with the more vivid colours of the “southern” Houses.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:36:15 AM by AKULA »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2019, 11:40:44 AM »
 lol lol Wow, they look really good en masse. I also like the way that you have varied the colours to make some look more worn than others. So many wargames armies look like they have just been issued brand new kit and have just come off of the parade ground - I prefer gritty, dirty and worn as per real life. Nice work.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
Yup, the red and yellow is a great look for Lannisters. The whole force really came together well, and fast!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »
Yup, the red and yellow is a great look for Lannisters. The whole force really came together well, and fast!

Thanks, I’ve been grabbing the odd hour here and there, but I’ve really found the Perry plastics so quick and easy to paint to a tabletop standard.

:)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Quick update, as I’m working on a whole bunch of different strands of my GoT project at the moment.

I picked up some movement bases at the York show, and am getting these ready for the various Houses.

Next, I’ve rebased the Sienese that I picked up from Laf’er TheBlackCrane and added them to my existing House Lefford retainers.

Also, I’ve added another minor retainer to the Lannister forces - House Sarsfield - a mix of existing figures repurposed and some officers painted from scratch. Have got with a plain pennant rather than the full arrow sigil, in part because it’s only a small force, and partly because I wasn’t happy with my attempts!

Finally, I’ve painted up “Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun”...or ”Wun Wun”.

A very imposing figure against a typical 28mm mini - available from https://elladan-shop.de/

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
great project - looking fabulous

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Nice forces, they look great on their movement trays. Love that you've got more than one or two models from each minor house.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Thanks both,

Nice forces, they look great on their movement trays. Love that you've got more than one or two models from each minor house.

The trays have given me the discipline to think in multiples of six....trouble is, one base doesn’t look very ominous so I think the minimum unit for my forces is two bases..ie a dozen foot.

Cavalry will eventually be on bases of three.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Crikey, that Wun-Wun is *huge*!

Excellent work on the Westerlands retinues!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Crikey, that Wun-Wun is *huge*!

It’s about 5” tall, so a decent chunk of resin.

Elladan also do plenty of other character models that people might find appropriate

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones Project (pg4 Unsullied)
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2019, 01:26:52 PM »
A quick test piece for the Unsullied.

The head is from a fireforge Byzantine spearman, with a bit of plastic added, and the torso/arms/weapons are a Victrix Hypaspist.

I’ve added green stuff to the shield and legs - going to make the trousers less baggy on the next one.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2019, 11:00:38 PM »
I think that's a solid proof of concept. Looking at the original model, what about trousers tucked into the shin armor? Or just a tiny bit of green stuff to give the impression of tight hose underneath the armor?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2019, 11:23:39 PM »
Agreed, a solid test! Excellent job on the helmet too!

Would it be worth filing down the legs beforehand with the trousers? Or would that make the model a bit too unstable?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
Thanks both for the useful feedback, will look at for the next batch.