Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WWI German MGs in East Africa & Copplestone question  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Matty_Groves

• Lurker
WWI German MGs in East Africa & Copplestone question
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
Am new to the period....sucked in by Brigade Games range & the new Lardy rules, could anyone help me with a couple of questions (first of many!):

1) Would the Greman HMGs in East Africa have been painted? Perhaps just dusty metal?

Offline Matty_Groves

• Lurker
Re: WWI German MGs in East Africa & Copplestone question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
Oooops!

2) Do the Copplestone Askaris look ok with the Brigade Games ones?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
1.- I do not know.

2.- yes they do, if you do not mind that copplestones are little taller than brigades.
The problem is that brigade games are for WWI while the Copplestone askaris are suitable for earlier types. East Africa CO askaris and Wissmatruppen.
So, usually they are not used together, in the same era.
Beware the German officers made by Copplestone are large enough.

3.- you may also use tiger miniatures, they also have a comprehensive range of colonial germans and their askaris and they cover many gaps in the above ranges.

4.- Another source could also be Battle Honours. Although I have not seen this range "in flesh". I have all the previous ranges.
argsilverson

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
It's worth noting that there are two packs/ types of Copplestone askari. Schutztruppe and the earlier Wissmantruppe types. The Schutztruppe seem suitable for the Great War. Oddly enough both the Brigade or Copplestone schutztruppe have Mauser m98 rifles not the  single shot m 71 rifles more common in the early part of the war. The Brigade askaris are amongst the larger sculpts and they size up reasonably well with the Copplestone RCW figures in my collection, the Copplestones are a bit taller but not much and basing solves any minor discrepancy.

At the smaller end of the range are the KAR and Nigerians, which are quite wee by comparisoncloser to the Brigade Turks. The Nigerians are my least favourite sculpts in the range. The fixed bayonets look like machetes and the facial detail is pretty bland. Still they are the only game in town. I'll admit I prefer Copplestone on the whole but the Brigade askaris and German troops are quite nice figures.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline yancey5

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
I have used Brigade Games figures together with Foundry Belgians, Tiger Miniatures, and Battle Honors KAR and South African dismounted cavalry and have to admit they mesh together quite well.  The Brigade Games figures are the best, in my opinion, the Battle Honors have detail  but not to the extent of Brtigade figures.  Foundry Belgians also work well for French Tirailleurs without the packs!  Tiger figures I have found seem to big a bit larger than the others I have mentioned but not to the degree of being way out of scale, although Tiger offers German askari artillery and pack animals which the others do not (as far as I can see).
Brigade figures are more "muscular" than the others but that's a postivie thing.
Good  luck!

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
Try Here:

http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/uniformen_der_schutztruppen.html

Or Here:

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonialuniforms/

I would have thought that the HMG's were the same as for Europe either oil blackened or painted field grey

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »
I use the Brigade Games and Cobblestone Figures interchangably with my Adventure Game Armies in the period and they work great together. (as well as the Foundry Darkest Africa Range of figures as well) I do find the Tiger miniatures a little more beefier, almost out of proportion in some way to the other two manufacturers but they make figures I really need (artillerists, pack mules) the plus to this is that they are kneeling and don't look too bad.  I am curious about the Askari Cavalry on mules that Tiger has released and wonder if they would look ouf of proportion to the mounted Brigade Games I have in my WWI East AFrican Armie.