Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An opportunity beckons...  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Westy38

• Librarian
An opportunity beckons...
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
Right then. I've got the opportunity to gain the following conversion kits which were formerly sold by Kingfisher. They're all scaled for 20mm, mainly for Warrior and consist of the following...

1/ Warrior upgrade set.

2/ Command vehicle conversion.

3/ Artillery observation post conversion.

4/ Warrior up armour set.

5/ Warrior ARV.

6/ Warrior interior set.

7/ Fuchs conversion.

I'm very tempted but before I, possibly, commit would like to know what people here think. Is there still a market for such things ? A long time ago I got the AOP conversion and up armour sets and they go rather nicely with the 1/72 Revell Warrior MICV kits.

All answers appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Weston.
www.underfireminiatures.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: An opportunity beckons...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
I am 28mm only on moderns.

Offline Seret

• Student
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
Is there still a market for such things ?

Well yes, but I think if you're going to be hard-nosed and commercial about it, you've got to recognise that it's a much smaller market than in the past. How much smaller? The closest thing we have to actual data is the Great Wargames Survey from WSS, and that shows:

"We asked respondents to indicate preference in order, so each size or scale got an average score. No prizes for correctly guessing number one: it’s 28mm with 7.75. 28mm Heroic, listed separately to accommodate certain well-known miniatures, got 7.11, very closely followed by 15mm with 7.04. There’s then a small gap before we get to the next three, very close together: 20mm/72nd scale with 5.94, 6mm with 5.88 and 10-12mm with 5.58."

So it looks like 20mm is about the size of the 6mm market. I understand that data is across all periods, I wonder if you could get in touch with Jasper and get the data broken down just for the period in question?

Having said that some traders seem to do ok providing niche conversion kits in 20mm, such as S & S models, but they also do other scales.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:02:15 PM by Seret »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
I'd be surprised if the smaller market doesn't get even smaller as time goes by. The generation that started off by playing with Airfix plastics and making model kits, is giving way to that who began with Games Workshop and know no other figure size.

I notice too that many of the 20mm figures I played with thirty years ago, are still the core of product on sale today.

I was surprised that it got a higher share than 15mm though, which to my mind is 20mm's main competition.

Offline Westy38

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:21 AM »
Well I went and did it ! Kit will be landing on Friday and I'll be getting stuck in over the weekend.

Bill Weston.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
Congratulations, I hope it works out for you!  :)

While we're on the topic of opportunities, have you considered the Korean War in 20mm, given that it might get a bit of a boost next year?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolt-Action-Korea-Peter-Dennis/dp/1472836677

Offline Westy38

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
Well. The masters, moulds and lots of spares have been sorted out and tomorrow the following will be posted down to Griffin to be moulded. All being well they will be on sale in late December/early January.

Here goes...

Bill Weston.