Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate land battles  (Read 2937 times)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
Re: Pirate land battles
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
It's useful to know of these other options but the Foundry range has so many figures it may not be necessary to turn elsewhere.

For French and Spanish regulars, how well do the Foundry Marlburians match the Foundry pirates?

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
For French and Spanish regulars, how well do the Foundry Marlburians match the Foundry pirates?

I have some minies from the both ranges and they match perfectly !

I have some Malburians Casting Rooms minies and they are OK too !

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
I have a few books on pirates (of varying quality and usefulness) and I've been following up on Cartagena 1697.

'Pirates: Adventurers of the High Seas' by David Marley has a useful chapter on the episode with some detail about the composition of the French side.

I get the impression from several sources that historical Buccaneer forces were essentially conventional pike-and-shot.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
I get the impression from several sources that historical Buccaneer forces were essentially conventional pike-and-shot.

Yes, but maybe with more shot than usual, the Buccaneers were hunters and they are good sharpshooters !

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
The Foundry figures are pretty much the definitive pirates range (well in 28mm). Not bad at all considering they are almost 20 years old. And a huge range with about 200 different figures.

The Black Scorpion pirates are superb, but much larger (incompatible with Foundry in height, stature and style), also quite pricey, and now only available in resin, I think.

I like the look of some of the Blood and Plunder figures. Some of the poses though, not so much. I think they are also on the large size. Like 35mm, I think I read, although I could be wrong  :)

I have a smattering of other 28mm pirate figures - Redoubt, Dixon, Old Glory. None of them are much cop. All pretty rudimentary in the old style...

The Foundry figures are very good, and there is a huge range. Like you, I'm not at all keen on some of the poses in the Firelock Games Blood & Plunder figures.
There are a lot of figures in bizarre poses with both knees bent that just look strange.

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
I compiled a list with pirate manufacturers for 28mm (+/-2) a few years back: http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/2008/09/collecting-pirate-miniatures.html.
It is pretty much complete I believe as I still keep it up-to-date. The only range that I think was not mentioned yet is the recently released Pirates of Treasure Island range from EOE which has some very nice characterful minis.

Personally, my favorite range is also the Foundry one. Lots of variety when it comes to poses, weapons and characters. I like some of the minis from North Star, too, and also some Dixon and Artizan. They all mix well. Here is most of my crew (painted by Simon Bradley):

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:03:04 PM by cianty »

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
Now that’s some nice paint - love the subdued tones.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
cianty

This is a very useful resource that’s worth maintaining (and expanding?).

Great work on the modelling and painting.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
Great work Cianty : on the minies and on the buildings  :-*