Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 09:35:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697131
  • Total Topics: 118809
  • Online Today: 421
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anybody try SD's Triad System?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Anybody try SD's Triad System?
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
Well, the subject says it all.

Anybody try these paints out yet?

What'ca think?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Anybody try SD's Triad System?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
I use CDA which are great paints but have not used them in triads other than ones I have created myself. I will probably pick up the odd ones I am missing from the triads at some point and give them a go. As far as CDA are concerned I wopuld recommend them. Much cheaper than Foundry too.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »
Do you mean the CDA paints in general or the actual combinations?

I use CDA along with lots of others but I haven't yet tried the Triads.  Though I have most of my paints sorted into "sets" of some sort.

Next time I need some paint I'll probably pick up some CDA Triads.

You can see what Steve did with some of them here LINK

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the link!  Interesting.

I also have a bunch of CDA paints. 

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the link!  Interesting.

I also have a bunch of CDA paints. 

Then you may already have some of the Triads  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
I have millions of CD pots, but can't make any of the triads! I'm short of one on all of them! Typical, eh? I've never really thought of doing this, I usually work from a single colour as my "middle" and make the darker and lighter versions by adding other paints to that. Triads almost seems like cheating.  :) Would make things quicker and simpler though (at the expense of giving Black Hat a lot more of my money, and me having to find more storage space for paint - they're falling off the table as it is).

*Stop Press* This just in: Turns out I can do Triad 10! Yippee! Oh, I don't really like that one much. Never mind, eh?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:30:19 AM »
I know Black Hat Mike is going to hate me some more for saying this again, but I still have a couple of pots of CDA paint, and I still find them resolutely shiny upon drying - which I really dislike.

I usually work from a single colour as my "middle" and make the darker and lighter versions by adding other paints to that.

Moi aussi.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
I know Black Hat Mike is going to hate me some more for saying this again, but I still have a couple of pots of CDA paint, and I still find them resolutely shiny upon drying - which I really dislike.

Same with P3.  Doesn't bother me for the final finish because I varnish, but some colours make the placing of highlights difficult.  After recent recommendations going to try adding Tamiya Flat Base.

I usually work from a single colour as my "middle" and make the darker and lighter versions by adding other paints to that.
Moi aussi.

Me too.  In fact I do a lot of intermixing as I go.  It's great fun.  But having the "sets" I mentioned helps with units for "repeatable" colours.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
P3 differs between paints. Some are somewhat shiny and others are not. I really like them for their coverage and richness in color. The 'liquid pigment' thing they have is perfect for glazing.
I have never tried Coat D'arms before, but I might do so. Not the triads though. I hate the style.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »
P3 differs between paints. Some are somewhat shiny and others are not. I really like them for their coverage and richness in color. The 'liquid pigment' thing they have is perfect for glazing.

I find P3 and CDA similar.  I often use them together.  (But then, I intermix all my paints - regardless of manufacturer.)

I have never tried Coat D'arms before, but I might do so. Not the triads though. I hate the style.

???  Having Triads or any colours "matched" in sets surely does not determine which style you have to paint in?  And it makes intermixing easier.  Happily I have never seen any painting "style" I hate, or even dislike.  It's the execution and quality of the painting that counts for me.  But I do seem to read this "Hate "Foundry" style quite often.  Puzzling to me.  How someone can "hate" the painting of such brushmasters as Kevin Dallimore, Steve Dean, Tom Weiss...etc

Anyway, I'm sure having Triads available is going to be a big hit.  Always wanted to try the Reaper Master Series triads but it's just too expensive unless they get a UK distributor. :?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
No, you're right. The triads don't need to be used for the "foundry-style". That was a bit dumb and too quick from me. In fact, now I'm tempted to buy them because of you :D
Why I dislike the painting the "foundry" way? Basically because you can see each different layer so well...I just think it looks a lot less than with blending. I really do understand why people use the triad-painting style because it's much faster than painting with 10 thin layers blended together and it looks ace for gaming due to the high contrast. And yes, Dallimore, Dean and Weiss are fantastic painters and they're the best in painting in the "foundry style", I personally really don't like it. Their brush control is superb, absolutely, but I just wish they'd use the brushes differently ;)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »

I find P3 and CDA similar.  I often use them together.  (But then, I intermix all my paints - regardless of manufacturer.)

I have never quite understood the P3 "liquid pigment" thing, as all P3, Foundry and CDA paints are made from the same base LMP formula by HMG - they vary in pigment density, colours, etc but they are the same paint under the bonnet....

Mike

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 12:10:57 PM »

I have never quite understood the P3 "liquid pigment" thing, as all P3, Foundry and CDA paints are made from the same base LMP formula by HMG - they vary in pigment density, colours, etc but they are the same paint under the bonnet....

Mike

I just assumed it was a marketing thing.
I use Foundry paints too - should have mentioned that.  And when I'm using paints from P3, CDA and Foundry on the same figure you can tell they are from the same factory as any differences are very subtle.  Whereas Vallejo and others are quite different.   

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
I don't know whether it is marketing or not but the paint does really behave differently from Valejo or Citadel's in that the regular paints don't separate easily making blending and glazing so much easier. Vallejos can really separate harshly with pigment going all over the place which can be really frustrating. The P3 metallics on the other hand are mostly shit in a bottle. Only the darker metallics and Brass Balls are okay (and only after shaking them more than Bond's vokda-martini)
I am really interested in trying the Foundry colors but they are so expensive I'm reluctant.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »
Well... I have a bunch of just about every paint ever made...  o_o  Including a bunch of the old Ral Partha paints.   ;D 

Vallejo has some nice colors, but I'm a "paint right out of the bottle kinda guy" so I don't use them very often.  That is probably because for the majority of my 30 years painting (on and off) I mostly painted 15mm figures (and still do but mostly  18s).  In fact, since joining this forum I have probably painted more 28mm figures than I have in my whole life put together.   :o

My interest doesn't lie in winning a "Golden DingDong" award or scoring 9.9 on "Coolminiorwhat."  My interest is painting lots of minis.

To paint lots of 28's to a reasonable standard, well, that is quite a chore, at least for me.  And that is what I like about "triads."  It doesn't matter who makes them really or even if the "triad" itself doesn't work very well, because normally what I do is I take my bottles and arrange them in my own triads based on my own tastes.

So for example, for the Colonial Germans I've been painting recently the triad I used (all Foundry) were Spearshaft Shade as a base and then Dusky Flesh Shade (as the shade) and Spearshaft (for the light).

Now my stuff ain't going to get any awards, but I am happy with the result and it allows me to paint lots of mini's fairly quickly.

So I guess it is the "idea" of triads which I really like and the ability to mix and match different near colors to get a reasonable result.

Thus my interest in SD's new stuff...