Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best 28mm achean/trojan minis?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
Best 28mm achean/trojan minis?
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
Hi guys, thinking about getting me some trojan war minis. From what i've seen Warlord, Eureka and Foundry Dell have ranges.
Are there any others?
Wich Line does the best minis?
Are they compatible with each other?
Thanks in advance and happy festivus!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Best 28mm achean/trojan minis?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
Old Glory and Redoubt have extensive numbers of figures and Blacktree have a selection also.

I use OG, Foundry and Blacktree they all mix perfectly well together (same height range and bulk/proportion)especially if you swap shields between manufacturers.
I have many of the Redoubt figures also but they are noticeably bigger in both height and bulk. They do work with Foundry et al but I inset their cast bases into my mdf Impetus bases to bring them down to the same height range as the rest of the manufacturers.

IMHO the Foundry range is by far the best. You can also mix in figures from their Egyptian and Sea Peoples ranges for variety.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:35:52 PM »
Foundry are the best. The others mix nicely, Redoubt, Eureka, and BTD but aren't as nice. I'm a huge fan of the Cutting Edge line that Warlord sells, but they are  true 25mm and won't mix well. If I was playing a big game w large armies or doing the actual siege, Cutting Edge all the way. They are great figures.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
I wanted some Acheans for a couple of TtS! Armies last September.

After looking at all the options, I sent for Eureka, they are fabulous figures. I don't regret it in the slightest. 

I've seen both other rangers and the Eureka are the best, imho. There is also the advantage that you can get them individually.

plus, they paint up really nicely.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
I'm currently prepping some of the Eureka light foot, and while I don't have any of the other ranges to compare to, I am liking the detail and poses (but then I'm an Alan Marsh fan). What basing are you needing - multi bases (Hail Caesar, etc) or skirmish (OGAM, etc)?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 11:06:39 PM »
Foundry are the best but also the most expensive. I bought Foundry for
all the key leaders and figures then went with Redoubt for the common troops.
They blend together quite well.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 01:09:27 AM »
Newline Designs are also okay and mix in well with Foundry. Their website seems to have changed recently so I can’t see any pictures.

https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product-category/newline-designs-28mm-ranges/newline-designs-28mm-ranges-biblical/newline-designs-28mm-ranges-biblical-mycenean/

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
Eureka miniatures also has some very nice personality miniatures of that era (which I have used for my Trojan command)
http://www.eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_865&products_id=13388

I have a mix of BlackTree, Redoubt, Old Glory and Foundry. Foundry are by far the best, Redoubt do good chariots, BlackTree have a few good ones, but most are hidden in the back ranks, and I binned most of the Old Glory as they are mostly just awful. Foundry are certainly worth the extra cost.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »
Hi Wulko
I have literally hundreds of these in my collection.
Imho no range really stands alone, I have a mix of all brands available.

The Foundry ones are probabley the best Range currently, however they dont cover all troop types, but their character figures are superb .. they are perry sculpts after all...

The Redoubt figures are still amazingly good , and with the the most different troop types and extras that no body else has , prior to the Foundry Range they where IT ...
n addition I think the Redoubt Chariots are much nicer than the Foundry ones ..

The new Eureka Miniatures are wonderfull & fit perfectly well with the Foundry and Redoubt figures , and offer a lot more new  variants .

I would concentrate of these figures , with fillers from Elsewhere, hang the expense ..!!! .

Casting room Miniatures also have some nice bits and pieces as well ( Amazons ) if you want to go down that route

I do have some black tree , but was quite disapointed & would not buy any more..( even if they were free ) their  style limits them to their  units  only, you cant mix .

Maybe some fillers from Newline as well.

Hope this Helps

Cheers

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 08:15:50 PM »
Following (and hoping for photos).
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86533.195

Here is mine and Erik’s thread with mycheneans. It has been screwed over by Photobucket. It is mostly Foundry with some additions from redoubt and Black tree.

Steer well clear of Redoubts Myrmidons they are horrible. Their Dendra armour guys are good but only two poses. The cavalry is ok as well. I waited ca. Six months for my order so would not really recommend.

I really like the ones from Black Tree they paint up really nice and are quite dynamic in their poses.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/3152/

Some of my stuff, hopefully to inspire! I'm a fan of the BTD as well, so don't shy away from them!

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
One problem I had with redoubt was the current quality of their casts. They do some great figures but the amount and thickness of flash on my last order from them put me off buying any more.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 01:19:07 AM »
Hi Wulko

Look maybe I was a bit harsh on the BTD figures.

Having looked at the Displaced Miniatures link from DR Zombie , they are quite  all right I guess, I just prefer the Foundry & Redoubt to the Black Tree figures , and have no concern about the price .

I do hear that the Redoubt experiance is a' bit  how  ya going' at the moment ( new management   ) I believe, but a 6 month wait is indeed outrageous that range is also almost 35 years old ...so maybe the casts are not great , however all the ones I received were 100% ok .

Dont discount the Redoubt Range , that would be a mistake.
They offer a vastly more complete range then all the other manufactuers combined ..

There are lots of  troop types that only they have .
For example Cavalry , Dendra armed Infantry ( 3  poses ) that makes a  very nice spear phalanx , 4 horse chariots , casualties,  charater vignettes , Myrmadons . etc etc

In addition the Myrmadons are Fine ,exclusive to Redoubt &  Iknow I  have some painted up by a Pro Painter & they are not very  good .... rather are Gobsmackingly Awesome...lol
Maybe I shall post the pics ..
Also depends what you want,  a saga style war band( 30 figures)  just buy the foundry , an army ? ( 300 + ), go shopping and load up  if you are in to it ..I was.

Cheers

,  .

Offline Emporium

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
I have a Fairly big btd and foundry achean army, they mix well but foundry's are One step beyond. The characters are awesome, don't miss the Iliad's Heroes,the Huge Ajax and Aeneas above All!