Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Late 17thC Spanish Militia  (Read 3198 times)

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
Late 17thC Spanish Militia
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
If I go ahead with a project based on Cartagena (1697) I’ll need a force of Spanish Militia to oppose the Foundry pirates.

There are two packets of matchlockmen with ‘uncocked’ hats in the Foundry Marlburian range, but each packet is in the same pose. Having a force with just two poses is far too ‘Old School’ for my tastes.

The Dixon Grand Alliance range looks like an ideal source of recruits, but are they compatible enough to mix in with the Foundry figures?

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Late 17thC Spanish Militia
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »
Very compatible.

This regiment is a mix of Foundry and Dixon. IIRC most of the musketeers are Dixon and all the officers / colour bearers are Foundry figures.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
Hi Doc !

For my part, I chose the classic tricorn infantry to be able to play also Clive and Dupleix in India in the eighteenth century. In the Foundry "Malborought" range, you can notice that the references GGM003, 4, 5 and 7 are mixes of all the other infantry references, so you can buy these 4 blisters and you will have a pose of each poses available ! To complete I recommend the range "Malborought" from Casting Room miniatures that is compatible and with different poses in each blister. It also allows you to have more officers and different artillery crews!

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
Front Rank has some nice Monmouth rebellion figures.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
I think I’d go for MB15 and MB22 for pikes, MB18 and MB21 for shot and MB1 and MB400 (from the Casting Rooms range) for supernumeraries. I’d avoid the horizontal pikes. If using the Dixon figures as well there would be plenty of variety.

They might not be fully reflective of the particularity of Spanish uniforms of the period. On the other hand a reasonable mixture might be more appropriate to a militia unit on the other side of the world.

I’d give them mostly uniform coats but a mixture of hats, breeches and stockings.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
I note the Dixon Miniatures are split into three ranges: Grand Alliance and Louis XIV Armies with GA codes and a League of Augsburg range with LA codes. Obviously I appreciate that the Louis XIV figures are French, but are there any other significant differences between the figures?

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »

Hi! I think you can mix some Foundry, Dixons and even English Civil War/Thirty years war for militia in the Spanish Caribbean.    I have some Casting Room miniatures, and they are a bit bulkier than Foundry, and the sculpts are not as nice...

I painted a unit of Late XVII c. Spanish Militia (but for European battlefields)

Cheers!

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Warfare Miniatures also has a very nice range of militia, which I believe are compatible in size with Dixon (and perhaps Perry ECW). They include quite a variety, some in coats, shirtsleeves; monmouth and floppy hats.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:14:16 AM by delbruck »

Offline twicethecaffeine

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
chema1986 - that is a lovely and uncommon unit. Great work.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
I can vouch for the Front Rank late C17th range. They’re big but beautiful.

I’d say the North Star (ex Copplestone) 1672 range would be well worth a look too. Lovely figures.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
Chema1986 - beautiful job.

NS are great figures which I’d like to use for another project, but I think they are a little too early in style and relatively large in comparison with the other figures I have in mind.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Foundry have a Marlburian range which includes figures with unlocked hats.

These fit well with the Dixon ranges you mention. From that company there are some differences in uniform - French units look different from English and Dutch. They are designed with this period in mind.

Warfare figures are also spot on for the time in question being for the Nine Years War/Grand Alliance.

The North Star figures are for an earlier war and if you're fussy the costume had changed slightly in terms of the coat and hat and less armour was worn (if any) by pike. Nice though they are you should give these a miss and pick from either of the three above.

Personally I'd go with Dixon. They should be a perfect match for your pirates.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
You should give Dixon a miss because they're ugly little squabs with some awkward poses, squiffy anatomy and no necks - very much wargames figures in the old munchkin style. An entirely different quality and look to Will Hannah's brilliant Foundry cutthroats range.
The Warfare Miniatures figures are a lot nicer - but slight in stature.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course  :)

What I would say, is that if you're seriously concerned about 'historical accuracy' you may wish to reconsider your choice of genre.
If (per your other thread) you settle on the excellent Foundry range for your pirates, you should probably reconcile yourself to the fact that they (like almost all miniature pirate ranges) are entirely non-historical, informed only by fanciful notions of 'what pirates looked like' in popular culture - from Peter Pan and Treasure Island to the Pirates of the Caribbean via Black Sails.

The Foundry Cutthroats include figures wearing mid-C16th burgonets; characters dressed as swashbuckling cavaliers; and figures in frock coats and tricorns straight from the mid-C18th. And all points in between. Not to mention a number of figures costumed as pure fancy dress pirates, Captain Hook style. In other words (again, like almost everything piratical in wargaming) a complete confection that plays fast and loose with costume, weapons and armour styles from a timespan of around 200 years...

Under the circumstances, fretting about whether figures portraying generic uniformed troop types from the 1670's will provide awfully inaccurate opponents for the 1690's, feels a wee bit redundant.  ;)

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
While I believe that some of the figures in the Dixon ranges you mention were sculpted by Mark Copplestone, I also believe that Trevor Dixon added to them with some sculpts of his own.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
While I believe that some of the figures in the Dixon ranges you mention were sculpted by Mark Copplestone, I also believe that Trevor Dixon added to them with some sculpts of his own.

I had heard that too Paul. I was told when Copplestone first did his Glory of the Sun range (Now North Star 1672), I should look at the Dixon Marlburian range because some of them ought to be compatible. But when I look at that range, I don’t really see anything that looks like the distinctive Copplestone style or quality... they all look very much like Dixon’s own work, which is, as I say, very old style - Minifigs, Hinchliffe and Lamming era. Great in their day of course, but nowhere near the quality of most wargames figures over the last 20+ years.
But it’s a matter of personal taste I appreciate. I know some people love the old school look :)