Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: building buildings  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: building buildings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:41:24 AM »
very nice write up and article, enjoyed that very much

Thank you for sharing it, and look forward to seeing you finish it in a future blog post.

Offline SeventyFour

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »
Thank-you for posting a link to the Bert's Garage project. If you're interested in other posts on building N-scale buildings using old-school techniques - like those used for Bert's Garage - I've got a few others I actually finished :-)

Branch Line Station
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2015/05/model-nomics-101-e-l-moores-branch-line.html

The Dilly Manufacturing Company
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2016/09/e-l-moore-in-21st-century-dilly-behind.html

Grizzly Flats Depot
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2015/01/e-l-moores-legacy-in-21st-century.html

Mt. Lowe Observatory
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/search/label/Mt%20Lowe

The Frankenberger Gallery
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2015/08/e-l-moores-legacy-in-21st-century.html

Offline SeventyFour

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
looks great. I didn't realize how small it was (scale) until I looked at the "family photo" and coin for comparison.

glad to see your reference library tomes getting put to good use.

btw: really like the 8 Ball Locomotive Works / Dilly Manufacturing building, too.

Offline SeventyFour

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! Close-up photos with a digital camera seems to lose all sense of scale - and makes all the inaccuracies pop out :-(

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Nice work.

Offline SeventyFour

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 05:03:22 AM »
Thanks!

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but new to me.  Rather than start a new thread as was suggested I thought there might be some value in hooking it to this so others would have the context  about which I am asking questions.

Nice job done using the Bristol Board.  I'll be working in a larger gauge/scale (S from Model RR? / 28mm wargaming figures) and didn't know if anyone had any wisdom to pass along regarding the materials, or alternates.
1.  With Bristol Board, is there a rule of thumb about what weight of board you should be using based on the size / scale of the projects you are building?
2.  Is there an upper limit at which time a different product becomes a better recommendation?
3.  To what extent does interior bracing on the walls help prevent warping?

All asked based on my location.  Even though we do run the air conditioner in the hot and humid summer there is still some level of humidity with which to deal.  I've seen a lot of folks who do cardstock buildings based on the idea that when they get damaged, they can just print new ones and assemble the replacements.  I'd rather build them once and not have to worry about them.

4.  Is Foamcore a better alternative?  I've seen that warp as well by the sheet, but didn't know if the smaller cut pieces glued together, with or without additional interior bracing were less susceptible because of the stability gained by being glued together into a structure.

5.  Any good references (books, links, websites) that you might recommend?

Thanks!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »
There's an absolute avalanche of scratch builder's on here.
A quick look at the workbench and tutorials boards would be helpful.

Personally I'd say that old adage Is a fossil and pretty much irrelevant. As virtually every material warps reguardless of thickness.
The simplest solution is to keep the base board edges with under 2cm from the edge of your buildings if your going to be working with card.( and to some extent plastic or foam core.)
As for bracing it's down to every individual build. A good simple indicator of where something is likely to warp . Is where it flexes when a gentle preasure is applied from both ends of the cut piece.
Bracing doesn't need to be bulky it can be subtle and used as a feature as in the picture of the garage. The garage is made out of cereal packet card three layers the roof is thin plastic card with decorating tape as tar paper.

Im sure you'll get plenty of advice when Tony finds this thread. Until then take a look on the WW2 board ( there's some very good threads on there.) My ww2 Homefront thread has alot of pictures of card buildings and heavily converted mdf buildings All have hidden and minimal bracing. The terrace houses and fish shop have only five internal braces including the end walls.
Also the farm house tile has both card and mdf buildings arranged to brace for potential warping of the base board.