Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:20:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Competing Undertakers?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Competing Undertakers?
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »
So, I just had this brain tempest (not sure it rose to the level of an actual storm  lol) that it might be fun to have a game where a duel of sorts erupts between a pair of competing undertakers.  One is transporting a fallen local hero and the other a fallen bad man and they take it amiss that they happen to be approaching the cemetery at the same time - as to the respective departed's friends and relatives in attendance.  Tension have been high so path corteges are well armed.  We've probably seen this in a movie but I can't think of one just now.

I like the idea but my challenge is finding 15 mm horse drawn hearses worthy of such a game.  While I have some stuff set aside to build one it won't be quite the same as a purpose created one with appropriate 'circus' horses to pull them.

Thus, does anyone have any ideas where I can lay my hands on purpose designed 15 mm hearses?  (I am aware - thank you, Richard - of the HO Jordan models option but have a strong preference for metal though I might go with 3D printed model if it included proper horses and my friend with a 3D printer was willing to print it, but metal strongly preferred)

Naturally, the teams of horses will have to come in one set matching white and one set matching black.  Of course.

If you like the idea, have fun creating your own variation.  And, yes, I realize most smaller towns are not going to have two undertakers but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen - especially if it generates a fun game.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
Re: Competing Undertakers?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
Yeah...I may be swiping this.  I do have two different undertaker figures...but coming up with two hearses?  That might be a rough road.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
An excellent idea for a game. I'd be interested win seeing any AAR's that result.

I don't recall coming across such a fight in a film, but it does remind me of the scene in Gangs of
New York
where rival teams of firefighters arrive together, disagree over who has the job of dowsing the flames, and, failing to reach an accommodation, get into fisticuffs while the blaze rages unattended.

One could also imagine a scenario involving condemned men waiting in trepidation on the gallows while arguments rage over the hangman's fee, or other forms of industrial unrest not normally considered for recreation. A sense of propriety prevents me from mentioning one entailing disputes over a secondary line of business based in the rooms above a saloon, such as that which formed the opening of Unforgiven, which perhaps barely scratched the surface of this presumably fecund area.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »
Love this idea and will surely use it. I will use a hearse for the hero (lawman) and a buckboard for the bad guy  :D

My collection is composed of 4ground miniatures stuff so I already have the wagons and the boot hill elements.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
This example is of course, NOT the old west, but your scenario reminded me of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mal_A4Op6mE

And of course the above youtube clip is in no way a helpful response to the OP, so my apologies in advance!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:18:30 AM by Will Bailie »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:40:21 AM »
Will Bailie, no offense at all.  Very funny.  And I'm a firm believer that humor should be injected into any game to improve it, especially historical miniatures which can be taken far too seriously by some.  And the clip actually points to part of the inspiration.  Not just that a fight might break out between the rival mourners but that it might start based on who should get through the gate first.  So a perfect addition to the thread.  Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:03:50 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »
Not quite the same, but I fancy a scenario from the start of the The Magnificent Seven where they want to bury a dead Indian in the churchyard but a bunch of rednecks are violently opposed to having an Indian buried in a christian cemetery.