Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689701
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Rolls Royce Armoured Car...  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Perry Rolls Royce Armoured Car...
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
Has it been dropped from production, I can't find one on their website?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
Re: Perry Rolls Royce Armoured Car...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
I haven't spoken to the Perrys about this so can't be sure ... but it may be the RR armoured car is being re-modelled. I know there were some questions on forums about the accuracy of the kit,
EC

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
Hi,

Asked about this today should be back on the site in about 2 weeks.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:51:02 PM »
Thanks for that chaps.

:)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:24:44 AM »
If they don't get a take-down letter from BMW, I'll be surprised. They're getting very litigious about people using the Rolls Royce name for anything, even historical models.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
Maybe (out of fear of litigation) they altered the name in their listing?

It seems apt.  :)

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline molecatcherjohn

• Student
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
Hi, does anyone have material on the later, early WW2 variants of the Rolls Royce? Details of the wheels and open turret would be helpful. I'm just modelling a new turret for the mod 21 and thought while I was doing that, I would add the later details.

Also, can anyone highlight the differences that might appear in the Fordson chassis? Or refer me to any site/documentation that can help?

Many thanks,

John

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »

that's all i have in stock  ;)

wich Fordson ?

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:53:27 AM »
on the Fordson :

seem's that the turret was fitted with what seem's to be a BOYS ATR and a MG ... and diferent wheels ...

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:04:57 AM »
I may have bought the last one...I got it mid December (2018).  Its a real nice piece for the 8th Army.

That's good Perry will continue production of the kit...well worth the buy.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline molecatcherjohn

• Student
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Patrick, the turret on the 1924 model looks quite wide. Almost as if it overhangs the body underneath, which doesn't match the earlier model (I think). Was the bodywork modified and widened for the 1924 model or should it be the same as earlier models? I see a note at the bottom about "due to lack of good reference material" so might it be right to think that the only major change was the addition of the open turret?

Also - anyone - the major difference on the Fordson chassis seems to be the length of the bonnet, which extends further than the original vehicle. Does anyone agree with that, or are there other major changes as well?

Many thanks,

John

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
If they don't get a take-down letter from BMW, I'll be surprised. They're getting very litigious about people using the Rolls Royce name for anything, even historical models.

What is life becoming

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »
My understanding was the principle, if not sole differences, between the 1921 model and the 1924 model was the turret and some had a shallow dome above the drivers head to increase head room. The original 1924 pattern horse shoe shaped turret featured a cupola. Photos suggest that,if anything, it was somewhat narrower than the body and narrower than the 1914 and 1921 pattern mitre shaped turrets. See here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88719.0

The RR cars seen with 13th Hussars had the turret removed and replaced with a non-rotating version,I believe as much for liveability as anything. That was fitted with a Boys AT, smoke mortar  and a rear mounted Bren. Again I’m not sure the photos bear out the view that the fixed turret overhung the hull.

Many if not most of the 1921 pattern pictured during the war were ex-RAF. Many if not all seem to have had a new hatch cut into them and a Scarff mount fitted.

The armoured superstructures were, with some minor adaption, just bolted on to new chassis. There were no factory built, new, Fordson variants just old hulls on new chassis. Similar things were done beween the war with Peerless Hulls and Crossley cars. The Crossleys were refitted onto Chevrolet chassis.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:10:54 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
i agree with Carlos, same was done with Laffly 50 ... no modification of the armored superstructure .

for the turret, my opinion is that, as for the french saharian vehicles, the heat in a closed armored vehicle is unbearable ( around 80° celsius in the Berliet VUBD close in Sahara ) . so the choice of an open turret ( as most of the use of the vehicle is "police" use ) .