Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689289
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy skirmish rules - a useful list  (Read 91324 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Fantasy skirmish rules
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
Excellent thread, can it get stickied as this us a question that pops up on a regular basis?

Yes it can. I was waiting to see how much interest there was but it's shaping up to be quite comprehensive.

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Fantasy skirmish rules - a useful list
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
I see Age of Sigmar has now been mentioned, if only in passing, (which it failed to do through my mind earlier, for some reason).

Crom! would also seem to be a noteworthy inclusion, assuming PDF-only rules are eligible.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
I am missing Open Combat from this list:

https://www.secondthunder.com/

Another generic medieval/fantasy system.

Milo.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
Fanticide is another game which received a moderate amount of attention when released a few years ago, with a substantial range of figures produced by Eureka Miniatures, before - in spite or because of its differences from the norm - disappearing  into the fantasy landfill. I have no idea what its current status is.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fantasy skirmish rules
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »

D&D Battlesystem Skirmishes:  THE game to get if you want to expand D&D rpg combats into fully fledged skirmish games. (Also the thematically similar, but more complex WotC version 'Chainmail')

well, not sure how I missed that ... possibly what I'm after, and the rulebook looks to have been beautifully done, illustrations-wise.
thanks for the mention.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
World of Twilight is a great skirmish game with lots of characterful minis.

http://www.worldoftwilight.com

Burning Sands is a fun RPG meets Skirmish game, great for getting your Conan fix.

https://cromsanvil.co.uk/chronicles.html
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 09:15:02 PM »
Saga Age of Magic is on general release 22nd April

Offline Blazmo

• Student
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:52 AM »
Popping back in with two more additions. The first is Unbridled Fury which aims to be a generic wargame suitable for any setting but started out as a fantasy game and mainly emphasizes settings based in that. Also, don't be fooled by the fact it's 178 pages as there isn't much text on each page and the creator and community appear to have been inactive for a while now. Another is Fury of Elizium, which can be run as a skirmish game but mainly emphasizes larger scale battles.

EDIT: I think Quick Intermediate Level Skirmish is also worth mentioning as, while the core rules are generic and only 8 pages long, there are a great amount of supplements for it, some of the fantasy genre, that greatly expand upon them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:43:31 AM by Blazmo »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
World of Twilight is a great skirmish game with lots of characterful minis.

http://www.worldoftwilight.com

Beautiful title page, but how do you get past it?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Scroll down and there are 4 options: The World, The Cultures, The Game & The Shop :D

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »
So there are. No wonder I have problems understanding rules.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
"Erin" from Alternative Armies is also worth a mention.  Simple Celtic Myth skirmish game set in the Invasion Cycle. Has supporting figure range but does not require them.

Offline Blazmo

• Student
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Another wargame that I initially thought was specific to Arthurian settings but is actually more generic than that is the Dolorous Stroke. The author mostly makes RPG supplements and I have yet to actually try the game myself but from what little I have been able to gather it seems focused on extremely small scale skirmishes and uses a pack of cards to represent each character's health. I don't think there are any rules for minor enemies but there do seem to be some suggestions for them on the internet, which I can't find right now.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:45 PM »
I'm glad to see World of Twilight and Relicblade mentioned already. Both well worth checking out.

The Woods by Oak bound Studios is another game rooted in folklore. A 2nd edition just came out.
http://www.propworkshop.co.uk/thewoods/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Another wargame that I initially thought was specific to Arthurian settings but is actually more generic than that is the Dolorous Stroke. The author mostly makes RPG supplements and I have yet to actually try the game myself but from what little I have been able to gather it seems focused on extremely small scale skirmishes and uses a pack of cards to represent each character's health. I don't think there are any rules for minor enemies but there do seem to be some suggestions for them on the internet, which I can't find right now.

Yes, it works really well for any hand-to-hand-focused set-up with a few figures per side. It's an unusual game in that it works well with just one or two figures per player.

On minor enemies, this is probably what you're looking for.