Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aliexpress "moss mats"  (Read 7933 times)

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Aliexpress "moss mats"
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for Aliexpress finds, but I can't find it so here goes...

This arrived today and the quality's fantastic, the photo doesn't do it justice really. It's a 1mx1m coarse felt mat with a random scattering of ochre flock and 5mm static grass. It looks way more naturalistic in the flesh than in these photos. Very little shedding as well. I bought two of them and it'd be very easy to blend/stitch them together to make bigger mats. Cost? $13.68 including postage per section:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-100cm-Artificial-Green-Plant-Wall-Moss-Turf-Simulation-Lawn-Green-Plant-Scene-Window-Display-Fake/32954174966.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.956a3f9dmRAgbL

Says sold out but it seems to be available from other sellers at about the same price. At the same time I ordered some more funky mats with 3D features but these haven't arrived yet.

Have fun
Finn

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: Aliexpress "moss mats"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Looking very good! Any pictures/ link of the ones with 3D features?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Ironically I came across them when looking for cacti models and I was a bit worried it'd either be astroturf or something that would fall apart after a sneeze. I'm waiting for a couple of these (there's about 20 different options):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cactus-artificial-flowers-fake-plants-spruce-moss-for-decoration-garland-grass-stone-skin-simulation-lawn-bonsai/32962071623.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.212a4c4dKNxgrl

They're twice as expensive, but still pretty cheap. I went for one with irregular bumps and one with a field-ish pattern of ridges. Fingers crossed!

Have fun
Finn

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
Thanks, looking interesting will await your expert report on arrival  ;)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
These look really good! Do you have any photos with minis stood on them? That would be very helpful if it's not too much bother.

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Well everything I have to hand is not going to fit in too well, but this should give you an idea of scale at least. I think it'd work really well for boggy ground or anywhere with black or volcanic soil.

Have fun
Finn

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
Really cool ! thanks for sharing !

I think they would work very well for viking stuff, for instance. I see other models perfect for normandy too !

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
We have some of these mats in my work, I had dismissed them as the fabric they are made from seemed to separate especially around the raised areas.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:47 PM »
Well that's now on my buying list!

Edit: And purchased
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:59:26 PM by beefcake »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 12:58:41 AM »
Interesting, might try one. Best bit is the Google/ Weibo translation. Pure genius:

This product is not the quality of the product, the parents shake off the hair before installation, the installation does not affect the installation effect! )
(This is a high-simulation lawn with silky hair. The foam is originally very light. It will definitely be a little bit of hair loss. Parents should first use the planting bucket before using it. It does not affect the effect. This, it won't be lost all the time, but we haven't done any fighting in the factory, so we need the buyer friends to receive the baby and then use it again, so that it won't lose hair! Be careful!)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
 lol That's gold!
Does that explain why I lost my hair at a young age, my parents friends did not receive me hence the hair loss?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:44 AM »
 lol lol lol

lol That's gold!
Does that explain why I lost my hair at a young age, my parents friends did not receive me hence the hair loss?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 02:03:41 PM »
I have some similar products that I gave a solid spray of a matte varnish to keep from shedding.  Not recall who made but I got them at a craft store going out of business sale so around 80% off.  For many of the items, I enhanced them with some overspray of floral paints (not so dense as other paints) and they looked even better from a pretty good starting point.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »
Might have bought one! ...

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Yay my shares in Moss Mats PLC have doubled!

Anyways, the other mats arrived and it was sunny today so I thought I'd update with some outdoors pictures which show the colours more accurately.

I think the first ones to arrive with the "yellow" background are probably the best, but the others are interesting. The one that looks like fields in the Aliexpress listing look nothing like them (not sure if it's partly because they're squashed in the post and could be fluffed up).

Top to bottom: one of the yellow mats, the green 3D one, brown mat, brown 3D