Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 03:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695789
  • Total Topics: 118719
  • Online Today: 366
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What in your opinion has to be included in a set of Pulp Rules?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
I'd like to poll the members of the forum as to what they think absolutely has to be incorporated in a set of Pulp Miniatures Rules. First of all, a little bit of background: I'm in the process of putting a set together to go along with a Pulp Project I have in the works, and I'd be interested in releasing these commercially. Just so you know, my project is more focused on 1930s-era Gangsters and Nazis as opposed to Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon style space adventures.

So, in the interest of market research--and sharing the same market research with other rules writers/publishers on this forum--I'd like to ask you what features do you absolutely need to see in a Pulp ruleset to make you a hardcore fan?

I would ask, if you choose to add in your comments, that you avoid saying that rules should be "like this other ruleset that you enjoy." If you enjoy another set of pulp rules, I'd ask that you specify what features of those rules you enjoy and why.

Thanks in advance.
Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: What in your opinion has to be included in a set of Pulp Rules?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
*Lots of skills so you can make characters that are not alike and have a nice own feel. Making scalable models with different levels helps defining henchmen and characters. For example, henchmen can have 1 skill, leaders 2 skills and heroes 4 skills.

*Good and explaining examples
Often rules can be difficult to 'see' when reading. An example can explain everything in few words. The use of photos is recommended.

*Some rules for using vehicles.
A lot of rules sets don't have (good) rules for vehicles. In Pulp these are quite important IMO: get away cars, nazi tanks, etc.

*Scenarios
Scenarios are a good example of how the rules work and how a game can run. It also gives the players nice ideas.

*What dice will you use? In small scale gaming, the use of 1D6 doesn't have my preference. There are only 6 outcomes and it does not allow fo good modifiers. D10, D12 or 2D6 are in my opinion much better. For larger scales the number of D6 make sure the dice don't have that much influence but with fewer models a D6 can get frustrating sometimes.

*Indoor rules for playing in tunnels, caves and/or outposts (think Wolfenstein) with downloadable maps. I can understand this is a lot of work to do and requires lots of knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. but I think it will add a lot to the rules set. Playing a nice Wolfenstein-like or Indiana Jones game in either a nazi base or a tunnel system with rolling boulders, pit traps, etc. will be loads of fun and will be something novel too.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
Weird science and/or some kind of vodoo magic. Nothing too spectacular but a little bit is fun.

Make sure you have a fast flowing system. Fast paced action is asked for.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
Lots of stylish hats a villains that wear Fezes  ;)
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
Only basic rules for gameplay, the rest will be made by good gamers like Grimm and the HamburgConnection.... ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Would be nice if there could be simple, open rules that allow you to do anything like picking locks, searching places, using items found during the game. For instance, would be nice if you could search for weapons (which might have a limited ammo supply), maps, etc... or jump from one car to another, use a rope to swing down from one floor to another,... That sort of cinematic stuff.

And the hero's definitely need to have an edge allowing them to defeat hordes of henchmen without being much worse for wear.

As for character types: you need your "named hero" types (on both sides) and your faceless hordes (henchmen and minions, nazi goons and soldiers, etc...). Some preprogrammed archetypes are welcome too: adventurer/archeologist, professional soldier, superspy, mad scientist, criminal mastermind, etc...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
Would be nice if there could be simple, open rules that allow you to do anything like picking locks, searching places, using items found during the game.

Doesn't need to be needlessly complicated. Eureka's free "and one for all" swashbuckling rules are a nice example of this, being action based and actions can also be interaction with objects (like picking up a tankard from a table and throwing it at someone, grabbing a girl's hand and dragging her along, ...).
They are available here as a free download and worth a look maybe: http://www.eurekamin.com.au/andoneforall.php

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
Solo play would be cool...

and free beer.... ;)
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Grün

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
Hords of easy to kill mooks or henchmen

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
Scenarios ! (these give a idea of number of figures used and what type of game is being aimed at ) , and a solo option  ::)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:41:01 PM by Mosstrooper »

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
When I decided to get into Pulp-themed gaming, I did a fairly comprehensive overview/comparison of all the then-extant Pulp Gaming rules/systems (.45 Adventure, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., Rugged Adventures, Astounding Tales!, Necromunda, etc.). While I liked the simplicity of Rugged Adventures, ultimately, I settled on .45 Adventure because of its tremendous adaptability.

I think adaptability is key to rules for Pulp gaming because "Pulp" means so many things to so many different people. It sounds like you want to have a relatively realistic/historical rules set, but you'll be missing a big part of your potential market if you leave out fantastic, over-the-top elements (Robots, Rayguns, Eldritch Horror, etc.).

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
A points system, helps with creating your own heroes/villains/monsters/machines/etc and keeps things sort of balanced.

A reaction chart, like in Tusk, would be excellent for solo play.

Aircraft/ships, rules don't have to be complicated, all you need is their move, morale and weapons.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:02 AM »
Thanks for all the comments so far. They are all very useful.

I'll just make a few notes...

Malebolgia: The rules I presently have written use d10s.

white knight:
The Skills system is pretty much ready to go.

Thanks again, and please keep the comments coming.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
I seem to recall somke weird SF/Fantasy roleplaying game where you could earn "possibility points" you could use these to re-roll dice throws, make several moves at once, use a skill that you don't have or simply to get hints from the GM etc.  I always thought this idea worked well and it did allow characters to do memorable daring feats (think indiana Jones escaping several death traps at once AND retreiving his hat). Perhaps you could call something similar "hero points" and allocate them to heros and villains alike? Just an idea

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:55:20 AM »
Hmmm, that sounds rather cool. Earning hero points by performing heroic feats is actually a great system to make sure people don't always take the 'easy winning' route, but will rather take the cool route that seems hard and may even lead to certain death. This means that you either a) need a GM who says you've just earned a Hero Point or b) an opponent can declare when you've earned one.

I also like your idea on spending them. So:
*Activate a special skills/move
*Reroll Dice for an action
*Take an extra activation (or use X extra Action Points or actions if these are used)

I think this fits pulp very well and adds a lot of fun and flavour to the game.