Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prejudice against GW?  (Read 26018 times)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Prejudice against GW?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
I personally try and judge by painting alone, but maybe that's just me...

And me  :)

And I don't actually care who has made the figures.

Neither do I as long as they are brought up Catholic. :)

Should be difficult with GW, although they have Inquisitors... ;)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
I personally try and judge by painting alone, but maybe that's just me...

And me  :)

And I don't actually care who has made the figures.

Neither do I as long as they are brought up Catholic. :)

I brought up a Catholic once, nasty mess it made too. Never ate another one after that!

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
I go for painting first, and that is mainly based on personal preference in style, so not very objective - but I count on statistics to dilute my vote and while ocasionally I find with some surprise that the one I voted for and found to be "better" is trailing by an hefty percentage in the tally once the results appear (after voting).

If it looks to me like it's more or less the same painting quality, I go for my gut instinct. "Something" that makes me prefer one entry over the other. And that goes straight to personal preference in theme, composition, humour, etc.
I (as others) might be biased subconsciously against GW, hopefully not "just because it's GW", but because it's limited in theme (it's basically either WHFB or W40K) and a bit "too" familiar - in other words, my imagination will easily be captured by a Steam powered automaton wrecking havoc on a zombie horde and less so by a squad of marines.
But this thought process is the tie-breaker. The competition being clearly stated as a PAINTING competition, I go for technique first (albeit, as stated, based on personal preference), and all other factors second, and I have more than once voted on GW entries without flinching.

That being said, I think a mono-manufacturer round would go against the grain in the spirit of the competition, especially (but not only because) it will automatically limit the theme and therefore will be more "boring" to watch ;)
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 04:28:27 AM »
In reference to my earlier post about space marines. It's just one of those common things where you're just too exposed to it and look for something different. Space marines are pudding paste really, it's not just a general distaste for GW products on my part. I sure have a fair number of things from their ranges. But the point is the less common is more intriguing because of the fresh difference invoked when I'm not having to see those non-beaky blue-butts, so they're a little more likely to not get my tiny vote.

As far as that GW-themed bonus round goes. I'd have to say no to that. Like others have said, it causes a trend. They make a wide variety of things and that would make match-ups for voting worse. Bretonians and Tau really aren't a good match for voting upon. Something more broad that involves the use of miniatures with a similar theme but of different companies is the sort of thing a bonus round should be. Like for example, 'Bonus Round X: cultists'. There's a fair number of different styles and manufacturers of those guys that the contestants could chose from.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

former user

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
guess there is some prejudice involved
but it is also about the miniatures themselves
with the many different styles, not many are sculpted in an overall "roundabout" fashion
many, especially those from the middle period, sport a strange static frontality, and it's hard to tell a good story with such miniatures, no matter the paintjob

and since the theme is always important in the contest....

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »
I sometimes feel prejudiced against GW products , not sure why .
 :?

I just remembered why I feel prejudiced  :-[ its just that everytime I finish buying an Army a new ruleset/Codex comes out with new figures leaving me with the choice of finishing the painting or shelving the project.
One day I will finish my Old School Sisters Army , as I only have to do another 500 points to get them to 2000 . The pile of Valhalens will be painted as a Sci Fi army , but the rest I will eventually sell .