Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (weird tree)  (Read 11733 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (Gnolls with guns!)
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »
Perhaps a Montero cap from the Firelocks sprue, and perched between the ears?

Hmm, that might work, with a bit of filing of the edges of the cap and the hair of the hyena ruff, and I still have almost all the Montero caps because most of my existing (human) firelock troopers got wide-brimmed hats.

I'll give it a shot this weekend and see how it looks.

I've also got two more werewolves to start painting up which might be enough for my planned "Werewolves of England" convention game in April as that'll take me to four werewolves and five demon dog things. Need to actually start planning that scenario and character builds for real instead of just batting around vague thoughts, I guess...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 03:34:51 AM »

Firelock gnolls! In this gunpowder fantasy world I'm sort of developing, apparently gnolls fill the roll of Croats, Irish, or Scots - wild shock troops from the frontier, with wildly varying equipment, from the ancestral GIANT CHOPPER right up to firelocks and infantry swords.

These guys still need a fair bit of greenstuff to clean them up, but I'm fairly pleased with them!

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:35 AM »
Great poses WL- amazingly natural considering the kit-bashing involved.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:29 AM »
Great poses WL- amazingly natural considering the kit-bashing involved.

Thank you, I'm very pleased with the two carrying their firelocks in both hands (#2 and 4 from left in the photo), and the one waving a cavalry sword carrying a carbine (leftmost). Big Sword Dog is straight from the gnoll sprue, no kitbashing involved, and rightmost dude is the one I'm least satisfied with, although it amuses me to think that if he and his sergeant both survive the skirmish they're currently in he's going to get a right reaming out for carrying his valuable firelock in such a slapdash way!

I might trim the GIANT CHOPPER down a bit, even by the standards of Scottish claymores and other big swords it's a bit over the top.

Greenstuff on these doggies this week, I think, and then on to painting them. I might now give in to temptation to buy an entire pack from NorthStar and do entire units of gnolls up, but we shall see...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 04:03:09 AM »
Meandering progress on various things this long weekend, including a Reaper war dog that might well show up in Weird ECW and a couple of housecats I've had for far too long that're finally finished. More on the blog.

http://www.warbard.ca/2020/04/12/dogs-cats-living-together/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »
Good stuff! Always nice to finally finish a long pending piece.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »
Nothing terribly "weird" about this update, but a pair of artillery pieces finally finished after finishing the crew for them at least a year ago.

Did the big culverin up in red and the little falconette in green, just because.

The eventual plan (when Warbases reopens) is to get a couple of custom cut sabot bases in 2mm MDF with slots for the crew's 25mm bases so the gun sits in the middle of the base and everything's at the same base height.

Blog thing with a couple more photos: http://www.warbard.ca/2020/05/15/17th-century-artillery-finally-finished/

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
This is a great idea with some fantastic execution

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
Great project.

I did something similar many moons ago. I bought a set of rules in the early 80s called Archworld.

I didn't really get on with the rules, but I never forgot the background. It was a Fantasy world, based around earth, where the Mediterranean culture was 17th Century, and it got less advanced the further North you went. Goblins, Dwarves etc lived in the mountains, Centaurs in the plains, Elves in the woods. As you hit the North, that was inhabited by Hun-esque barbarians.
It's USP was that a cabal of seven evil wizards, working for some Cthulhu like god, were constantly plotting to take over the world, and raising the Huns to sweep down on the civilised nations.

One Partizan show, I was asked to put on a game at the last hour, so I put together an Archworld game. My ECW army faced a combination of goblins and huns. It raised some eyebrows indeed. Pity it was pre-smart phone, I never took pictures. I've still got the Goblins and Huns, but the ECW got sold on.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 01:17:39 AM »
Now you've got me contemplating centaurs in 17th C kit...

I might need to hack up a Warlord cavalry trooper and his horse and see what I can come up with!

A friend sold me the "For King and Country" starter box for silly cheap (I offered $40, he bargained me down to $20 and "at least three painted ECW figures, whenever you get around to them") after he won it in a raffle and it then spent several years on his shelf totally unopened, so I have surplus Warlord plastics around the place...

Hmm.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
Oh, centaurs would look very cool in ECW uniform. Dammit... now you've got me pondering on all sorts of conversions. Do not need another project :D

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:17 PM »
I found this illustration from inside the Archworld rulebook really inspirational at the time. The perspective from the wrong end of a pike is great.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »
Awesome image, Nick, thanks for sharing.

Did up some quick scenery today, all five pieces done start to finish today because the weather was blah and who wants to leave the house these days, anyway?

Four bits inspired by the teleportation circles needed for one Frostgrave scenario, but generic enough to be used for all sorts of other things eventually, I'm sure, and a CD-based fairy ring of really gnarly looking mushrooms!

The mushrooms themselves are from Bad Squiddo and are really nice sculpts. That's a 28mm Frostgrave witch on a 25mm base behind the fairy ring; most of the mushrooms/toadstools are at least waist high on a human. Whatever sort of fairy comes out of a ring like this, it's clearly best avoided.

Couple more photos and some more verbiage over on the ol' blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2020/05/30/quick-fantasy-scenery/

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 01:05:33 AM »
Cracking stuff as usual - I'm nicking the fairy ring idea.

I was really struggling to find some decent witches - I tried the Westwind versions, but they were a tad too large to fit with the Warlord figures - HOW did I not think of that Frostgrave set ?!? Cheers for mentioning it!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2020, 02:29:01 AM »
Cracking stuff as usual - I'm nicking the fairy ring idea.

I was really struggling to find some decent witches - I tried the Westwind versions, but they were a tad too large to fit with the Warlord figures - HOW did I not think of that Frostgrave set ?!? Cheers for mentioning it!

Frostgrave Wizards II is the female magic users plastic set, and highly recommended. All of the Frostgrave stuff is very size compatible with the Warlord 17th C stuff, as seen elsewhere in this thread.

Looking forward to your version of the fairy ring, pretty sure Evil Giraffe and some of the other folk horror stalwarts have gotten there before I did!