Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lovercraftian wargaming?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Striga86

• Student
Lovercraftian wargaming?
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
Hello! Which ruleset would you gents recommend for some mythos wargaming? :)

Offline Porthius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
    • Miniature Minds
Re: Lovercraftian wargaming?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:09:13 AM »
Hi Striga86, Strange Aeons is a specifically Lovecraftian themed game which is well regarded. I would also suggest Pulp Alley which offers lots of flexibility in designing characters and creatures. It has additional Horror rules which you can use to model the psychological effects of fighting hideous eldritch beings on your investigators.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »

I'd agree with both of Porthius's suggestions and add the Achtung Cthulhu tabletop game for platoon level WWII fun.
 (There's also 'Unaussprechlichen Culten', also by Uncle MIke, a 'play SA as a Lovecraftian cult' option. Sadly this was a kickstarter only game, but perhaps there's  someone willing to part with theirs out there.) 

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
7TV:Pulp from Crooked Dice has a range of HPL inspired horrors and heroes.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=115086.0
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
Dust 1947 has a Mythos faction - if you don't mind a slightly larger scale and pulp ww2 - that said, a lot of the mythos creatures would be fine for 28mm.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 03:04:47 AM »
I like Songs of Fear and Faith by Ganesha Games.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=182
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
I have Fear and Faith, and I like it. Someone already statted a bunch of Lovecraftian entities, and they are available online, I think at Board Game Geek. Flying Lead is the same game system with military and police engagements in mind, if you need additional rules and stats.

Another option is Savage Worlds Showdown, the skirmish miniatures rules for the Savage Worlds RPG. The showdown rules were available for free at one point (not sure if they still are). They don't include Lovecraftian entity stats, but you can get those from Achtung! Cthulhu (as it is dual statted) or the Savage Worlds Realms of Cthulhu supplement.

I did up stats for the old Battleground World War 2 rules at one point (inspired by their tongue-in-cheek troll supplement).

Over in the BRP forums there is a BRP Warhammer 40K conversion. I haven't downloaded to see what part of it is inspired by 40K and what part by BRP (as I just found out about it). A conversation I read suggested that it took miniatures concepts from 40K and used BRP for combat resolution, but don't quote me on it. If so, though, it could be adapted to Call of Cthulhu stats.
Scottish-born Canadian-American software manager, database analyst, game designer and writer.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »
How big of a game are you looking for? Will there be GOO's stomping around, or just ordinary cultists and a couple of wizards or aliens here and there?

My first pick for skirmish would be Strange Aeons, all the way. It features solid mechanics that are very easy to modify. If you want to play with larger units as well as vehicles, aircraft and big, big monsters, then consider Pulp Alley.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
There's also 'Unaussprechlichen Culten', also by Uncle MIke, a 'play SA as a Lovecraftian cult' option. Sadly this was a kickstarter only game, but perhaps there's  someone willing to part with theirs out there.

Actually Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten is available as a .pdf from Uncle Mike's Worldwide. Check it out!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out Mr Peabody, I was clearly having a hard-of-thinking moment (seems like it's been going on about 30 years  o_o). Very glad to hear that it is in fact reafily available as it's huge fun :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 08:20:09 PM »
I've rather fancied getting Strange Aeons but haven't gotten round to it. I've been putting some Lovecraft groups together for Fistful of Lead though. The Core rules or Galactic Heroes with the Tales of Horror supplement have everything you need. You can recreate some pretty nasty Mythos creatures with traits.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
Another vote for Strange Aeons here.

For Mythos stuff in other settings Carnevale and Draculas America (with the Forbidden Power expansion) have very strong Lovecraftian overtones.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
For my project of the coming years I am considering a number of rulesets. See https://pijlieblog.blogspot.com/2019/07/mythos-wars-reading-and-watching-list.html][url]https://pijlieblog.blogspot.com/2019/07/mythos-wars-reading-and-watching-list.html[/url] for my list so far.

As I am planning to start in the present day period I am leaning towards Spectre Operations, obviously with some modifications for the Mythos creatures.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
I would vote for Strange Aeons too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »
Slightly late reply, but you could try Perilous Tales. It’s currently in beta and looks like it has some Cthulhu stats:

http://planetsmashergames.com/perilous-tales/

Solo and coop - seems neat!