Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW1 Naval Campaign - War is Declared !  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
WW1 Naval Campaign - War is Declared !
« on: April 30, 2019, 05:42:18 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2019/04/ww1-naval-campaign-war-is-declared.html

Evening fellow Naval Gamers (all 3 of you),

Every Easter is Naval Campaign time at Yarkshire Gamer and this year the old Jutland Collection gets another run out with a few new models.

The Campaign has both a Tactical Tabletop element and an Abstract Political element which affects ship deployments etc.

So with my own TV channel (Yarkshire TV) I continue my rise to global media tycoon with the launch of my own Newspaper T'Yarkshire Ferret. The Ferret will bring you the big stories of the Campaign whilst the blog will bring you the in depth battle reports.

Pop down to Yarkshire Gamer blog for a full AAR of game one and get a Ferret in your Letter Box !

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: WW1 Naval Campaign - War is Declared !
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:09 PM »
Well - I found it really inspiring stuff ! Thank you!

I’m just starting on my first ever Naval project and have opted for WW1 (no rigging to super glue my fingers together and limited air power so I can cope with the technicalities!). Have acquired several rule sets including General Quarters 3 but having trouble making a decision which to use (“I used to be indecisive but now I’m nit so sure”) . What persuaded you that these were the rules you wanted to use? Keen to hear the opinions of those who know a lot more about this than I do!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »
Cheers Sparrow, I struggled so much to find a set of rules I liked that I wrote my own ! Been using a home brew set for WW2 for over 25 years and converted them to WW1.

General Quarters seems to be the favoured set to begin with. It's always best if you can try a few sets out to see what you like but that depends on where you live and if you have any keen Naval Gamers nearby. Good luck with your search

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
Thanks Ken - really appreciated! I tend to write my own rules as well but, at present, know too little about WW1 Naval to make this practical....I feel some heavy reading coming on!

(Love your ships by the way! What colours do you use for your decks?)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »
Cheers Sparrow as for deck colours, I did a tutorial a while back on the painting process so Full details on the blog,

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2015/11/12400-ww1-wtj-naval-from-box-to-table.html

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »
Ta muchly!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »
We use General Quarters 3 for WW2, and its WW1 offshoot Fleet Action Imminent for WW1. For us it hits the sweet spot of enough complexity to make the game interesting, but not so much that it takes forever. I really like the way the rules encode most of the complex stuff into the charts, and that there are no damage points; ships take damage to their various systems.
We've also used Naval Thunder (which is OK but you will have ships exploding left right and centre), War at Sea/Age of Dreadnoughts (Ok but not very historical) and and old homebrew set (also OK, but it uses points and is a bit too bloody).                               

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 05:26:40 AM »
Thanks Steve - v much appreciated

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »
Born in Wakefield myself, I can only support your choice for T’King.

Champion.  :D
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
Apologies everyone, my mistake the book we are using is not on WV but avaliable below,

https://www.odgw.com/forums/store/product/78-north-sea-campaign-digital-download/

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 05:53:26 PM »
Nice AAR and lovely painted models.

We started assembling fleets for ww1 wargaming last month. So at the
Moment I‘m full into painting ships and reading the GQ fleet action imminent rules.

This aar is really inspiring.

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
Thank you. I enjoyed that. :-). Your miniatures are first rate.

I suspect there was a bit of a flap at the Admiralty after the loss of the Fearless.

As you say, there are not a lot of naval gamers or game reports, so please keep them coming. ;-)