Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: extra small space ships painted.  (Read 2663 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
extra small space ships painted.
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
After my first game of a billion suns I cam to the conclusion I really like the game, but I'd rather play it with more and much smaller scale ships than the GZG ones I have. So like any good wargamer I started a new project  :D

For now these are just CAD files, but hopefully some prints soon. Aiming for about 1cm per mass of vehicle, so thats 1 to 3cm for the ships. These first few are frigates and monitors. I started of with the frigate and am trying to do a digital kitbash, where I mainly use parts from the frigate re scaled and moved around to form the other ships.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:53:57 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: extra small space ships CAD
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »
Looking good so far!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
Looking good Tim! Would love to play that game with you guys some day :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:15:01 AM »
From our conversation during and after the game last Friday, I just knew you wouldn't be able to let this one be and have a go at it yourself... :D

Looking great so far; but they'll be tiny! It'll make the space whales all the more intimidating of course...

And am I right in detecting a slight BFG influence on the rightmost ship there? ;)

Keep 'em coming. Any ideas yet on basing? the traditional hex-flightstand might be a bit too large?

That would be cool. From what I took away from the game, it'll only be more intense and interesting with more than two players... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
Looking good so far!

Thanks mate!

We should do a big multiplayer game of this! The rules seem build from the ground up to account for more than 2.

From our conversation during and after the game last Friday, I just knew you wouldn't be able to let this one be and have a go at it yourself... :D

Looking great so far; but they'll be tiny! It'll make the space whales all the more intimidating of course...

And am I right in detecting a slight BFG influence on the rightmost ship there? ;)

Keep 'em coming. Any ideas yet on basing? the traditional hex-flightstand might be a bit too large?
That would be cool. From what I took away from the game, it'll only be more intense and interesting with more than two players... :)

So many ideas, so little time, but I think the first prints of these are about ready! The rightmost ship is actually inspired by a background ship from Mekton Zeta, an old mecha RPG.

If  I actually see this trough as far as I'm hoping to I'll do some satellites, facilities and krakens as well to go with the scale.

Basing wise I'll probably print something as well, I realized yesterday that I should have given all of them a large round plug on the bottom where I can drill a hole for metal wire. I'm thinking of doing a base I can glue to a metal washer or coin for stability, and have arcs of fire and ship class on the base as well.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
Ace!

I love tiny scales - looking forward to seeing more of these.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
Facilities/space stations are an absolute must, yes. As well as freighters and utility ships. For some reason, the later category is the most interesting to me.

...I'm thinking of doing a base I can glue to a metal washer or coin for stability, and have arcs of fire and ship class on the base as well.

That would be a great idea. Would do away with those post-its at least lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
Facilities/space stations are an absolute must, yes. As well as freighters and utility ships. For some reason, the later category is the most interesting to me.

Yeah I'm definitely planning to do utility ships for each fleet as well, they are a central part of the game! In fact I think if either of us had jumped in a battlegroup of 2 medium utilities and another of 1 light in the first round, that player could have doubled his score by the end of the game! They are essential to the missions and very cheap to boot.

I've done the design for the gunship, these little buggers carry the same auxiliary weaponry as frigates or destroyers, but nothing else. So I used the same turrets to show this.

Since the light utility ship shares much of its stats with the gunship I might use it as a base for that.

The first prints of these ships have come out and they turned out quite nice I think, hopefully, I'll get some paint on them this week.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: extra small space ships CAD, first prints!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »
Well, couldn't stop myself so here are the first test prints. The bases need some work but I think the idea is solid. They are glued to 1 eurocent coin so they are very bottom heavy and stable. the stand rods are metal so not fragile at all.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
Awesome! 8)

Just what the doctor ordered! They look like they will meet all the game's requirements.

Great work! :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:49:39 PM »
Awesome! 8)

o_o Now I want to try those rules, too, but they are not due out until 2020?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »
o_o Now I want to try those rules, too, but they are not due out until 2020?

There was an open call for playtesters about a year ago now, which has filtered down to a small group. I believe the final version of the rules are due next month, after which Osprey will probably manage to make it worse in many ways. They have a habit of doing that of late.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
slapped some paint on them, I also re-did the bases to make the text more readable and all of it a bit easier to print.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: extra small space ships painted.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Teeny tiny  :D 8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
Re: extra small space ships painted.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
 Bases and mini-ships look amazing painted up. Wow!