Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34705 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
I've been reading a lot today about the Stonewall Brigade at 1st Bull Run. I've just come across a document that states Jackson's Brigade, the 1st Virginia, carried ONE flag in the battle. And that was the flag of Virginia. ONE flag! :-[
That ain't gonna happen. My debate was whether the Brigade had 5 or 10 flags, not one!  lol

Anyway, Don Troiani has painted a flag with every regiment in his Bull Run pictures, and I love him.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »
Here's a question for those who know a bit more than me. The Army of Northern Virginia in '62 ordered all flags but the Battle Flag (classic Reb flag) in each regiment to be put aside, and just that one carried. We know that order wasn't universally carried out, some still carried two or more. But back in July 1861, did the Confederates habitually carry two flags into battle? I'd presume the Stars and bars and the State Flag? Or did they have even more, all the company flags flying (I'm not doing that by the way). Or, was it the habit from early on to have one, the National Flag?

We gamed 1st Bull Run back in 2009. Here is a link:

http://new-wab.forumactif.org/t419-first-bull-run-salon-du-jeu-de-colomiers-octobre-2009?highlight=Bull+Run

As for Confederate flags, most units carried the state flag. Some carried a confederate flag but there were some confusion as nobody knew for sure how the stars and the bars should be disposed. You can see some of those flags carried by some units (don't take count of the battle flags....we had to use late war units as some painters defected on battle day)  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:16 PM »
The first unit is finished.

This is the 33rd Virginia Infantry, part of the (after to be called) Stonewall Brigade. Their dark blue coats at the Battle of 1st Bull Run caused confusion amongst the Union forces, and allowed them to approach and capture an artillery battery. I came across a set of 33rd V. trad. Toy Soldiers painted all in dark blue with white cross straps so decided to copy that. It looks suitably un-Confederate which is what I want to achieve with this 1st Bull Run project.

The figures are all Perry Mins. I chose their metal Confederates in Frock Coats as that uniform is right for this early period. The officer is actually a Union officer from their Iron Brigade pack. The Iron Brigade wore the pre-War uniform of Hardy Hats and Frock Coats, so this officer I thought was perfect for a Colonel of the 33rd wearing a pre-War regular uniform.

The flags are from Flags of War. The National Flag is right for this period of the Confederacy. The green flag is the flag of E Company 33rd Virginia, the Emerald Guard, all Irishmen. The flag of the State of Virginia would probably be more accurate, but I like this flag, and you see it flying in the Bull Run scene in the film 'Gods and Generals'.

Next I'm doing the 5th Virginia.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
They really look the part  :-*
Well done!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:09 PM »
I've found this range of Traditional Toy Soldiers that depict units from First Bull Run, and I'm going to use them as a guide for Jackson's Brigade.

They show the next regiment I'm doing, the 5th Virginia, like this:

I've got the Perry Miniatures metal Iron Brigade figures, wearing the early style Hardee Hat and Frock Coat, I plan to paint them to a similar scheme the Toy Soldiers have. The 5th Virginia also include the Morgan Guard, their Company K, who pre-war wore a AWI Continental uniform. It's not beyond the realms of possibility they had them on at 1st Bull Run, and the director of the film Gods and Generals chose to depict them as such, so I'm going to include a couple of AWI figures in the regiment!!

I came across this flag for the 5th Virginia (below). I'm not going to copy it, but I will give the 5th the Bonny Blue Flag as the National Flag, and the Virginia State flag.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »
Great start Nick. My favourite period of the civil war and battle.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »
 Well done on the 33rd Virginia. Those 5th Virginia uniforms are going to look really different, can't wait to see your finished unit of those!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
That's a grand start to the project. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
I've finished off one 5th Virginia to see what I think. I'm quite happy with it. The figure is a Perry Mins Union Iron Brigade figure.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 06:46:07 PM »
Neat painting and I like this powder blue grey! Cheers!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »
It's all coming along beautifully, Nick. Nice one.

I do like the different looks many units sported at this stage of the war. All sorts of oddities: What with zoauves still dressing like zouaves, kepis with Havelocks, rebels in blue, red shirts and some Confederates actually looking smart for a change, it all makes for a much more visually interesting spectacle than your average Civil War battle.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
I agree, that's what's inspired me. Got the figures for the five regiments of Jackson's Brigade bought from Perry Miniatures, and includes all the shirt clad, havelock wearing oddness.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »
I couldn't resist it. I came across this card game that illustrates all the units involved in Bull Run 1861 and i had to get it.

It's really good. These guys must have put in loads of research. Not seen how it plays yet, might never play it.

'Course, it's got controversial already. Four of the Stonewall Brigade cards I agree with, but they show the 5th Virginia in all Dark Blue wearing a kepi, like how I painted the 33rd above. I've started doing the 5th in grey with the Hardee hats...

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »
I had a look at theses cards when I was building armies for gaming 1st Bull Run. Lot of errors in my opinion. You should better search through Osprey books. I found also a lot of informations in a Military Modelling two part article titled Sunday picnic (or something approaching).

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club