Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:57:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm Mongol Army for Warmaster - brand suggestions wanted  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Ivan_Itchianus

• Schoolboy
10mm Mongol Army for Warmaster - brand suggestions wanted
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
Hi all,
I'm thinking of assembling an approx. 2500 point Warmaster Mongol army on 10mm. For maximum variety, I want to use different brands.
So far I've decided on Pendraken, Magister Millitum, TB Line and maybe Irregular (pending some samples). I know Old Glory made them too, but I can't find any pictures of those. Does anyone have pictures of OG Mongols? Are there any other compatible brands you could suggest? Kallistra is too big, unfortunately...
Thnx

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: 10mm Mongol Army for Warmaster - brand suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
That sounds like an interesting project. Who are TB line?

Offline Ivan_Itchianus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »
https://www.asterwargame.com/collections/tb-line?page=1

Pendraken has bought their moulds and is in the process of cleaning them up and re-issuing series.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
There's a lot of variety in those MM steppe nomad ranges - it might be worth looking at some of their mamelukes as well, OK they're civilised looking but I reckon they would fit nicely for richer, post conquest Mongols. Steppe nouveu (how do you spell that?) riche if you like.
Warmaster's great isn't it?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
I think you will find that a number if these ranges aren’t really compatible when it comes to the size of the cavalry. Infantry tends to be much more compatible between the manufacturers.

The Pendraken mongols are lovely figures, but they have been deliberately sculpted with small mongol sized horses and as such the riders are also a bit small. They work great together, but will look very small alongside some other ranges.

For the other manufacturers I don’t have mongols but do have figures from their other ranges
TB line - very detailed figures. Some of the larger 10mm cavalry.
Magister Militum - generally quite small horses, riders tend to be quite chunky
Irregular - tend to be mid sized. Normally fit well with Pendraken cavalry, but not the PD mongols
Kallistra - nominally 12mm, the cavalry is similar sized to TB line
OG - normally mid sized, so close to Irregular.

So from the above, I think you really need to stick to a single manufacturer for cavalry based armies like the mongols. You can probably mix OG and Irregular together, but these are probably the oldest and least interesting of the figures.

I went with Pendraken, and really like their Mongols. https://fantasticalarmies.blogspot.com/2017/07/mongol-cavalry.html

Offline Ivan_Itchianus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
So far I've been happy to combine OG, MM and PD and Steve Barber figures for the Second Afghan War, and MM and PD for an Medieval Italian army.
So do you think this is a specific size problem with the Mongols sculpts?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
Pendraken mongol cavalry are definitely smaller. Than other Pendraken cavalry.

Not all the ranges from a manufacturer are consistent in sizing, either which is unfortunate.

I’ve definitely seen more difference in cavalry sizes between manufacturers compared to their infantry. Most of the ones I’m referring to above are Arab ranges.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
I hung my nose over the TB Line from their launch but never committed to an international order and eventually went with Kallistra. When the Pendraken were released I ordered to add to my force but they really are incompatible. Ebay relieved me of the Kallistra and I went solely with Pendraken as although smaller are neater sculpts to my eye.

The TB Line have a certain charm and I am eagerly awaiting their re-release so I can finally lay my grubby mitts on some but I do envisage creating a second army to be used separately as I do not think they will mix too well.

The cavalry comments are spot on as of course the scaling up of a larger beast only amplifies the difference in size.

Now, if only someone would do a good extensive Ming Chinese range
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline shedman

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
So far I've decided on Pendraken, Magister Millitum, TB Line and maybe Irregular (pending some samples). I know Old Glory made them too, but I can't find any pictures of those.

Having originally gone down the same route as the O/P and bought samples from  Magister Millitum, Irregular, Pendraken and Old Glory I ended  up going solely with Pendraken

Offline Ivan_Itchianus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »
These are all very helpful comments, thank you!

I'm seriously considering sticking with just Pendraken now.
Although I'm quite fond of MM as well, I must admit I find their figures a bit too droll at times. One thing still bothers me slightly, though: as I'm just conforming to the ever popular Warmaster rules, thus ensuring plenty of opposition is available at our local club, I'd wish those packs were with 12 figures or multiples thereof, but they contain 15 figures. Oh well... :? More for the lead pile!  lol

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
Pendraken will do custom orders if you want specific numbers, but i think it will be cheaper to buy - full pack rather than custom order 12 figs.

You can use the spares for command stands, or just put 3 figures on a base as they are light cavalry! Then you get 5 bases out of a pack.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »
I use the Pendraken Mongols as Huns, in a very mixed army drawing on everything but Kallistra (just too big). I think they look very satisfactory, since Huns on ponies are a hard stereotype to get out of one's head.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
I'm the odd guy out here in this discussion but I have a Kallistra Mongol army and think they look great. I have an opponent army too - the Sung using various Kallistra ranges like Koreans and such. No not exactly Sung but they work.
Our group plays To the Strongest rules for the battles and the Mongols are tough to beat. The poor Sungs usually take it on the chin. Fun games though.

I have Pendraken cavalry for their WW1 ranges and basing it off those and Kallistra, yeah they would not be compatible size wise. I'm very happy with my Kallistra stuff though.

Offline Ivan_Itchianus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Kallistra if you ask me, they're nice figures. It's just that they're of an unfortunate size to combine with the 10mm stuff we tend to buy at our gaming club.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:26:57 AM by Ivan_Itchianus »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Kallistra if you ask me, they're nice figures. It's just that they're of an unfortunate size to combine with the 10mm stuff we tend to buy at our gaming club.

Absolutely agree, they are great figures and come with convenient bases which I
also use for all my 10mm figures, Pendraken, Newline etc.