Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Congo Campaign - Encounters in Hostile Lands  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
Congo Campaign - Encounters in Hostile Lands
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:22:47 AM »
Follow the link for the latest game in our Throne of Thunder campaign.

https://haroldsrevenge.blogspot.com/2019/07/encounters-in-hostile-lands.html

Here are a few photos to whet the whistle...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Congo Campaign - Encounters in Hostile Lands
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »
Can't speak to the rules but looks like a lively game.  And nice terrain - jungle trees are on my list, I have the materials scattered about and just need to work on them.  And the other 374 gaming projects lying about!  :o

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Thrilling stuff! There seems to be an awful lot of extra rules randomness intervening in the game (Not having played this campaign I do worry a bit that it introduces too much chance, and takes things out of the hands of the players a bit more than is desirable - I don't know, what do you think?), but I always approve of the appearance of elephants on the table.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
Random events certainly do happen and you may need to adapt to the situation when playing. But I don't think the frequency takes too much control away from players. With thoughtful use of activation cards and totem cards (that act as boosts to an activation), there's actually a good deal of control possible. However, I think a player needs to approach the game accepting that it is a story driven game, not a straight up Wargame.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:55:39 AM »
Thanks, Calumma.Still not having actually played the game yet, that was one lingering concern. But I am looking forward to giving it a go at some point. It certainly reads like it would be a fun game to play. Time will tell.

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »
Every game we have played has definitely been fun - win or lose. In fact, the worse things get on the table, the more entertaining the game becomes! Whilst the rules could be used for straight up 1 vs 1 encounters, I think they shine when fighting isn't the main objective (although sending your pygmy warriors to prod the opposition is always worthwhile). I think that the main criticism I would have is that some of the scenarios have a relatively short number of set turns (just 5 in the last game). I know this is to create the balance within each scenario (ie. don't win by eliminating your opposition, work towards the actual main objective), but some objectives can seem very difficult to achieve in the allotted time. No reason why you can't modify things to your liking though.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:42:36 AM »
Fantastic looking game ! I would have loved to play on such a setup.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
Splendid....! Love the final photo particularly :D

Doug

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. We did enjoy the game and I do like putting a bit of effort into the terrain set up. The nice thing about Congo is that games are set in one of two main environments; savannah or jungle. This means you can get all the basics together for each board and then modify a few items for to make each adventure (scenario) unique. This time the focus was on trees, last game it was ruins, next time it will be rocks and crags.

The final result doesn't really show how close this game was btw. Dan's white man column was ahead on points right up until turn 4 (out of 5), when my witchdoctor managed to leg it off the board. If I hadn't been lucky and pulled the elephant token out of the bag who knows what his Askari would have done with those loaded muskets!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
That is a great read and a really good looking game. Nicely done.