Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ever Used Tiered Stands For Your Spaceship Games?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Ever Used Tiered Stands For Your Spaceship Games?
« on: August 20, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
They are often made of cardboard, which would be the absolute cheaper route, though they can be found made of acrylic, wood and other materials.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Square-or-Round-Cardboard-Dessert-Pastry-Cupcake-Display-Tower-Cake-Stand/302195508210?hash=item465c4183f2%3Am%3Amk5yutIBhYvuYpgOhubg6tw&LH_BIN=1

This acrylic one allows about 10cm for each deck, but other products will differ of course:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Cake-Stand-Birthday-Wedding-Party-Cupcake-Display-Holder-3-4-5-6-7-Tier/172619413316?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57921%26meid%3D021a6c4eaa064456b862fb0acb503877%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D303155543727%26itm%3D172619413316%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&var=471439072569

There are even square ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jusalpha-4-Tier-Square-Acrylic-Cupcake-Tower-Stand-Cake-Stand-Dessert/163328633886

Once you have your interior floors, one should be able to add hull supports (stanchions?) around the edges of each floor, minus hull plating to allow access to each deck, right?  Or the hull plating could open out on a hinge of some sort?  Or each room could slide out?

Perhaps the second tier could be placed as the bottom deck, to create a lower “cone” effect as well?

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/deckplans.php

QUESTIONS
Anyone ever tried making something like that?  Was it easy to use for gaming, once finished?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:35:46 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: Ever Used Tiered Stands For Your Spaceship Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »
Sir, you think of the darnest things! If I wasn't thinking of it before I am now.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
I think I may have seen something similar on a thread a few years ago. But I thought that was someone who built theirs from scratch and didn't take the obvious path that you have provided for the rest of us to follow
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »
I have many moons ago.
It just depends on how much room your after .For more role play games then you could easily tweak the Happyland and ELC space rocket play set's. Or for more space for skirmish level games. You could take a look at preschool wooden playsets as there's a few rocket themed multi level sets already in cake stand format with a cross shaped frame work of  rocket silhouettes .Which you can pimp out and add additional levels too .
You should be able to find a 2ft one for around £30.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:59:46 AM »
This is a great idea!

Did anyone else think that the square one could be used for a pyramid  interior or a temple?

Dan! Your killing me! I can't  do any projects or anything else for that matter right now! My game room is stuffed with boxes and furniture as we remodel  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:06:32 AM by War Monkey »
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
 ;D should have actually answered the actual question.
Multi level games are fun and a little out of the norm(which is part of the fun.)There's two main draw backs/ pit falls.
Detail verse access. (Or sausage fingers and broken bits.) .
And the most common killer of multi layer and multi side boards is C.B.A.. Most gamer's are put off multi layer games as you keep having to get out of your seat to move things on the other side of the vertical support.
The best solution is to use a cake base with a swivel, underneath the board/terrain.That way everyone stays comfortable throught.Plus its quite useful as a suspense element.(GM turns the board round adds the nasty stuff you've just walked into then turns it back to face you.Much more interesting in a game than having individual items place one after the other in your line of sight.)
As for a pyramid it works two(GW did a multi level pyramid themed board game "Curse of the Mummies Tomb" .Infact multi layering is a staple component of children's toys.The dolls house is a multi layer toy .Theres plenty of board games done on multiple layers(even Star Trek had a multiple layered game.)
In short its very much a doable concept .What makes or breaks them is all round table access.
If you wanted to push the boat out you could bulid a board very similar to your rocket pics. Having the whole gaming area rotate with in the cutaway rocket model.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Did anyone else think that the square one could be used for a pyramid  interior or a temple?
Dan! Your killing me! I can't  do any projects or anything else for that matter right now! My game room is stuffed with boxes and furniture as we remodel  ;D

Exactly, my friend.  I’ve seen old Pulp spaceships of Aliens with all kinds of craft, so pyramid would make sense.  Pyramids, not for goauld any more!

As for not being able to do your projects yet, just let me know when you get your soaceagain.  I may have a few new things for you.  :)

Dan

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »
Thanks my friend, it's going to be awhile we're  remodeling in order to sell this place, the new place we're  looking at will offer me a large game room or the opportunity  to build an addition on for a bigger living area. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink Bob's  your uncle)  :D

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 11:09:21 PM »
Check this blog of a scratchbuilt rocketship.

http://warinabox.blogspot.com/search/label/spaceship

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 12:29:46 AM »
Braz

That’s incredibly close to what I was proposing/suggesting.  Uncannily close!

Dan

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 01:27:22 AM »
Dan,
        How are you?  I miss your posts on TMP.  I wondered how this fit into
Pulp, b7t now it makes sense.  Cool idea.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 01:53:40 AM »
Dan,

You are hereby ordered to create a miniatures game - in minute detail - inspired by the movie Silent Running.  No, worries.  You have until Friday to get it done.

Failure to perform means forfeiting all your miniatures to a charity of your choice.  I have the power.  Don't believe me?  Hmmph.  Just ask me.    >:(

;D

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »
Dan,

You are hereby ordered to create a miniatures game - in minute detail - inspired by the movie Silent Running.  No, worries.  You have until Friday to get it done.

Failure to perform means forfeiting all your miniatures to a charity of your choice.  I have the power.  Don't believe me?  Hmmph.  Just ask me.    >:(

;D

Friday?  Maybe Friday next year.  :)

Forfeit my miniatures?  I don’t think you want to go and do that.  The moment you come through the door my dogs will smother you with affection and you’ll completely forget what you came to do.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 11:05:18 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
I would think a better idea would to design one based off the TV series "The Starlost" all most like Silent Running but way more larger!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Oh and by the way, I have always wanted to build a ship something like that as well, plus a spaceport of sorts using a tier system for small ships, the landing pads would extend out at the corners if I were to use a square, kind of like a square fort with the towers in the for corners looking top down as on a map.