Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690494
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The King - new Netflix film  (Read 13040 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The King - new Netflix film
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
Or the black french princess and if i remember there were some literally black knights in the series  lol. Although to be fair that was more like an extravagant stage play adaptation, not a period drama per se. At least thats the way i tried to explain it  lol

True and ditto  lol lol lol

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »
Or the black french princess and if i remember there were some literally black knights in the series  lol. Although to be fair that was more like an extravagant stage play adaptation, not a period drama per se. At least thats the way i tried to explain it  lol

Ummm, that is literally exactly what the Hollow Crown was. A television adaptation of a series of Shakespeare plays.
As such why anyone would be surprised by non-traditional casting and inauthentic costumes is an ongoing mystery to me.

Likewise I'm pretty sure The King isn't a documentary, so it seems bizarre to criticise it for telling a different story than the history.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
Ummm, that is literally exactly what the Hollow Crown was. A television adaptation of a series of Shakespeare plays.
As such why anyone would be surprised by non-traditional casting and inauthentic costumes is an ongoing mystery to me.

Likewise I'm pretty sure The King isn't a documentary, so it seems bizarre to criticise it for telling a different story than the history.

And who has critiziced The King?  ???
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:55:46 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
And who has critiziced The King?  ???
On LAF? No one. Yet. ;)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:29 AM »
Incidentally, the mounted knights crashing into the formed infantry line may point to the death of Hotspur rather than the later French campaign - those particular shots and the ensuing scrum could depict the battle of Shrewsbury rather than Agincourt.

Casting-wise, I was mildly amused to see a Franco-American actor as the King of England while an Englishman plays the French dauphin.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 01:23:31 AM »
I once shared an office with a Welshman called Chichester and an Englishman called Morgan. Very confusing.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 08:11:00 AM »

those particular shots and the ensuing scrum could depict the battle of Shrewsbury rather than Agincourt.

I'm quite sure of it. There's no way that they would have left out the stakes surely? Not to mention the archers (though they were certainly present at Shrewsbury in great numbers???)

Incidentally, the mounted knights crashing into the formed infantry line may point to the death of Hotspur rather than the later French campaign

Who was slain at Shrewsbury as one of the main protagonists in the rebellion.

EDIT: Then again, he is being anointed and is clearly "King Henry" in the film so I hope they haven't got their timeline mixed up(?). going to have to wait and see :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:38:26 AM by Atheling »

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »
It seems to be in the same style as the Outlaw King. Which could use some improvements but i enjoyed it very much and welcomed it as a step to the right direction.
I have to say that i have my doubts about the cast. Especially the twilight guy....

Pattinson is actually a great actor. Twilight just was a project where nobody gave a damn and therefor nobody even bothered to try :P

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Agree with you  entirely about Pattinson - looking forward to the Lighthouse

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
Gonna no dee that?  lol (that joke will apply to a very small but select bunch of LAF members!!) lol

Actually that the lighthouse looks good too. So much quality stuff coming off the streaming services now. Love the look of The King, the acting ability is there, the costumes, scenery etc and the basic storyline.....but it's soo easy to screw it up for us.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
The movie has been presented at Venetia Festival. Critics have been lukewarm, at best. Currently it has a 71% approval rate on Rotten Tomatoes, which is not bad but neither is brilliant. Of course, it may have something to do with being a Netflix production. Critics are somewhat ambivalent, as if a streaming network producing movies is some kind of heresy.  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
The premiere has been announced for November 1st on Netflix.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to the UK but I hope so!!

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/new-movies/timothee-chalamet-joel-edgerton-and-david-michod-on-filming-netflix-movie-the-king/news-story/05ac5a44641c5805dd79f4752e419c45

The armours in this pic are looking, well, to put it politely; incomplete:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:54:50 PM by Atheling »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
But an awesome haircut  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »
But an awesome haircut  ;)

Yeah, very much the opposite of mine  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »
lol

For a king of England, Timotheee also has a very French face  ;)