Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39693 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »
Excellent additions to your force.  :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
Lovely work Kayote as per usual  :-*

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »
They are very nice additions to your army - and great work on those shields!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
In general, when playing skirmish games I prefer round bases to square.  Also, I do not like to mix rounds with square (or rectangular) bases in the same warband. 

In Saga, for both aesthetic and game play reason, I prefer to mount cavalry models on pill shaped bases rather than large rounds or oval bases.  As for the latter, the one exception I've made is mounting my Age of Magic forest goblin spider riders on 40mm rounds.  For the spider riders, the rounds best fit the shape of the spider models' overall footprint.

In the past I've used 50 mm and 60 mm rounds to make Baggage (vignette) models.  Rounds are ill suited for models that have a long, roughly rectangular footprint like a wagon and draft animals.  Years ago, when I assembled the wagon from Gripping Beasts' Baggage kit, I mounted it on a homemade pill shaped base that I constructed by attaching a Renedra rectangular base to two pieces of Renedra rounds. 

The DIY Renedra pill base turned out okay, but a couple of years later when it was time to base a Victrix Gaul chariot, I needed another pill shaped base.  This time, instead of piecing together bits of Renedra bases, I made my own pill shaped base by cutting it out of a large, wooden circular base made by Litko

My Muslim warband's Baggage models will be a bit more traditional than the story-themed Baggage/vignette models I made for my Briton and Pagan Rus warbands.  Since I dearly love camels each will include at least one camel accompanied by some men on foot.  In my mind, the layout of each camel procession should fit nicely on pill shaped base, so it's time to crank out a few more wooden pill shaped bases.

According to the Book of Battles, a Baggage model's base must be no smaller than 40 mm x 40 mm, and no larger than a 100 mm x 50 mm rectangle.  The pill shaped bases I have in mind measure 3 inches x 2 inches (roughly 75 mm x 50 mm), so it meets the requirements.

I begin with a Litko 3 inch (1.5 mm thick) wooden base.  Using a pencil and ruler I drew a center line.  Next I added two parallel lines, each 1 inch from the center line. . 

Then I sketched 4 curves to give each end a nice rounded shape. Then used a hobby saw to cut along the two parallel lines in order to remove the semicircle pieces of each side.

Finally, I used a hobby knife and sand paper to round the corners that were created by cutting away the semicircles.

Below is a mock-up of my first Baggage model for my Muslim warbands.  In keeping with the Almoravid drum theme, this first Baggage model will be my drum section. The camel is made by Perry Miniatures. The foot models are Gripping Beast. The plastic drums and arms come from the Perry Miniatures' Afghan Tribesmen kit.

The base is a bit crowded, so I'll likely evict the horn blower and use the extra space on the base to add some interesting terrain features.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:43:45 PM by Koyote »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:24 PM »
Lovely idea for the baggage section.

On the subject of bases have you looked at the offerings from Warbases, they do a nice range of pill bases for very reasonable prices.

Online mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2021, 10:19:17 PM »
Looks great! Now you made me realize that I never painted baggage markers for my own Moorish army! https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125573.0

And I *do* have a couple camels I could use. Time to get creative...!  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2021, 01:06:19 AM »
On the subject of bases have you looked at the offerings from Warbases, they do a nice range of pill bases for very reasonable prices.
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely keep this in mind.

It looks like Warbases has a 100 mm x 50 mm pill bases, which is the max size for Baggage, but as the length decreases, so does the width.  As such, the pill base that I desire (3" x 2") is not available.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:41:02 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
Looks great! Now you made me realize that I never painted baggage markers for my own Moorish army! https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125573.0

And I *do* have a couple camels I could use. Time to get creative...!  lol

Mike Demana
Thanks, Mike.

You have painted yourself a handsome Moorish Warband. I can see you poured a lot of love into it. The patterned robes and hand painted shields are quite nice.

And except for that guy who wouldn’t stop complaining about the Jomsvikings, I’ve enjoyed all of your podcast episodes thus far.

What kinds of configurations have you been using when playing Moors?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »
Oh rotary tool, where have you been all of my life?

I bought an inexpensive mini rotary tool (aka electric dremel) for $19, plus a pack of Tungsten Carbide Rotary Burrs for $15, on Amazon.  And boy oh boy, did it work great!

Previously, I used a pair of snips and a hobby knife to remove this camel rider's saddle and carve out the hollow beneath the rider to fit it onto the Irregular Miniatures' camel.  Cutting through white metal with hobby knife is a chore that quickly destroys the blade and is hard on the hands.  The task was made even more difficult by the fact that I had to get the knife into a curved hollow to remove material in a U-shape. 

The rotary tool let me accomplish in minutes what had taken me 30+minutes of snipping and careful carving.  It also let me do a much better job of shaping the U to conform to the camel's back.  I still used the snips to remove those sections that I could, such as the rear of the saddle, but after that, the only tool I needed was the rotary tool.

-

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2021, 04:03:44 PM »
Woah! got distracted a moment and BAM! what a lot of excellent conversions here!

Online mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24:42 AM »
What kinds of configurations have you been using when playing Moors?

Thank you for your kind words about both the army and the podcasts! Nice to know folks are listening to it.

Here's my configuration for my warband:
• Mounted Warlord
• 6 mounted hearthguard with javelins
• 8 foot warrriors
• 8 foot warriors
• 12 levy with bow

If you'd like to read my battle reports for the handful of games I've played with them, check out my blog:
Most recent, vs. Vikings: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/12/viking-raiders-bedevil-cordoba-again.html
Tale of Challenges: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/12/tale-of-challenges-first-of-saga-games.html
Vs. Pagan Rus: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/11/tangle-in-terrain-with-pagan-rus.html
Ambush scenario: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/11/feast-of-saga-at-dragons-guildhall.html
First game, vs. Last Romans: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/11/moors-beat-back-night-raid-by-rumani.html

Hope you enjoy the accounts and photos! And thanks again for the kind words...

Mike Demana

Offline TheABG

• Student
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »
"Here's my configuration for my warband:
• Mounted Warlord
• 8 foot warrriors
• 8 foot warriors
• 12 levy with bow"

That's very HG heavy. Have you tried Moors without HG? I use 4 points of warriors and 2 levy. Mounted  warriors hit as hard as HG but aren't as fragile.

Online mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:18 AM »
No, I like the fact that I can charge with them instead if shooting isn’t working out. Plus, if I can make the target Exhausted on my charge (Torrent of Iron), HG can take raise armor to 6 and take zero casualties.

Plus, I haven’t lost with this build yet, soooooo...😁

Mike Demana

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2021, 02:21:17 AM »
I finished the 4-pack of Warriors that will, depending upon my build and the scenario, hang in the back and generate an extra SAGA die. Since they may spend much of the game just standing around, I figure they might as well look like the belong in the rear of the warband's formation -hence the flag, drums, and aged champion.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2021, 03:14:31 AM »
Excellent work as usual. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;