Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 112972 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
There were such high hopes for the wizard...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
You can blame me. I was playing the NPC army of Ridraffa, and I thought I could walk him out from the defences just one turn to get a spell within range. Then the ogres tore him to pieces with all the missile weapons they had and I should have thought about.
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
What game system are you using? I mean, I'd guess some form of WFB? And how are you running the campaign?

This is fascinating.
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
I'll try to answer that without it turning into a long essay! So a kind of bullet point attempt.

The system is WFB, 8th ed but with various (modified) campaign lists originally part of internet forum campaigns ('Animosity', 'Treachery and Greed' etc from around 2008 to 2014) and so not really just made up by me.

Most of the players run strong 'theme' armies, so not power gaming. We had a player who was big on that, but he ran the undead, which technically everyone else could have ganged up on, so I wanted him to. He left and so the undead are now one of the many 'NPC' forces.

Strategy, allies etc are as important if not moreso than size of armies. The NPC rulers' armies, of which there are many, are very strongly themed, and many arose from the story. For example, I had to build and paint an entire, nearly 200 model, flagellant/cultist army in robes, then later build a 50 strong mob of the same guys, who had lost a battle and been turned into zombies!

The campaign rules are very heavily modified Mighty Empires - changed over the decades, with ideas from other systems added in, and always interpreted by the GM. Players can ask to try anything, but whether or not it is possible, and what it costs in time and money, that's for me to work out, and them to worry about!

There is one GM (me, also the story writer, photographer, army painter, model and scenery maker, etc etc) and 6 players (some close geographically who can play the rare games, some too far away and so stand ins command in tabletop encounters).

The players are effectively roleplaying one character each, who happens to be the ruler of a realm or 'other' form of force. They can die, and several have. It can then take their new character, whether or not connected to the old one, a while to establish themselves, or perhaps they just take up where the last one left off if they were in a right old pickle!

It has been nearly 6 years running. I think. Battles when we can, maybe 5 a year, due to the preparation involved, my mad detail for all the stuff in between, and the fact that we are all working, family peeps with busy RW lives!

My photo technique has developed over time, the campaign reports being a visual record. I started hiding bases about half way through and wish I had thought of it from the start!

A long and ever more complicated history recorded in battle reports and many a connecting story, plus thousands of photos like the ones you have seen, which can be viewed on the Oldhammer Forum at ...

http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2889

or on my own web site (always slightly behind but the blog part almost keeps up to date) at ...

https://www.bigsmallworlds.com

Photobucket wrecked many a forum thread with my campaign, but the people at Oldhammer rebuilt all the photos with a technical trick for which they could never understand how grateful I was and am. But I built the website of my own to try and ensure against such a disaster happening again!

Oh, and recently a member of this forum, who I have met but once in the real world in an entirely unconnected capacity, has just become a new player with a character that might become the biggest bane of all to the poor men, halflings and dwarfs of Tilea. Hopefully. The clue is, most of his forces are underground right now.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 12:50:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing! A lot of character in these pictures, keep up the great work!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 12:54:09 AM »
Great work, and very inspiring  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
A very pleasant afternoon spent 'shooting at the butts' in Terrene. The halfling militia prove their prowess before their lord, Lucca Vescussi of Verezzo.

(If you look down the rank of shooters a little way you can make out the infamous Roberto Cappuccio, aka the Pettirosso, who was once an outlaw but now serves the philosopher Lord Lucca.)

(Is it insane to say the pic below is my favourite one of this batch?)

An then they assemble in rank and file to listen to their lord ...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:45:03 AM by Padrissimus »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
Lovin‘ it! Thank you for sharing. Brilliantly inspirational on several levels.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Thanks Rick W.
------------------------------------------

"There! In the trees. I see something!"

The mounted crossbow of the Compagnia del Sole scout ahead on the journey to Campogrotta.

"There!"

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 01:26:50 PM »
 :o :o :o.  I just stumbled across this thread and I am in awe of your attention to detail, dedication and fortitude in this project. Lovely pictures and really enjoyed the last 'foggy' one with the undead horsemen riding. Thanks for sharing.

Legionnaire.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
There is a vastly silly amount yet to come. Thanks for commenting so kindly.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:52 PM »
The Great Hall of Karak Borgo, where King Jaldeog (the Short) holds court ...

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 01:26:10 AM »
Outstanding! Your photos are very atmospheric.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »
This is superb. Please keep it coming!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:37 AM »
Thank you Swordisdrawn and Ragbones. Very kind of you.

Remember the earlier pictures of the 'cruel cleansing pf Palomtrina'? Well the local dedicants went a tad too far, even for fanatical cultists, and as a consequence the Disciplinati di Morr's Admonitor decided that the Palomtrinan shepherd ought to be punished. And so he was.

Here the shepherd is blessed in the hope that Morr will allow him passage into the eternal Garden.

And here is his final moment ...

(I hope you noticed how the blessing priest stepped back and clasped his hands in prayer - not an easy thing to convince lead miniatures to do!)