Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sikh Workbench  (Read 55689 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Sikh Workbench
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »
That opens up a whole new bunch of possibilities...I’d discounted the Foundry range as perhaps too small. Definitely interested to see some photos of the two ranges together.

:)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »
Swing by the Iron Duke FB page and you'll see a post there that hints at a future Sikh Wars range from the Dooke.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 09:12:17 PM »
Swing by the Iron Duke FB page and you'll see a post there that hints at a future Sikh Wars range from the Dooke.

Read it yesterday, very exciting!

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »

On one hand this is really fantastically good news! On the other, I've got way too much going on so I will probably, much to my regret, have to be a bystander :(

I have still only painted up six on the IM range!  :-X Out of hundreds!

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
I saw that and went "Hurray.....oh bugger my wallet!"

Akula the ID and Foundry stuff look exactly the same scale, Paul Hicks tends to sculpt on the smaller side of 28mm so they fit really well together.

+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 08:28:00 AM »
That's good to know.

I used to have a lot of Michael's old Foundry Sikh War range when it came out and they where amazing. Never did find a set of rules that gave the game I wanted back then though.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
That's good to know.

I used to have a lot of Michael's old Foundry Sikh War range when it came out and they where amazing. Never did find a set of rules that gave the game I wanted back then though.

Steve

Hmmmmm..... that's a very good point, on a regimental level, in 28mm, what rules to actually use?

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »
Black Powder wrk well simply as they are so easy to mess around with until you find what works, givign the British Crack and Steady and the Sikhs Tough fighters etc. My chum Steve is keen to try field of battle which I know OB also uses.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
Just stuck a blog post up with photos of the based Gurkhas and Elephant if anyone is interested.

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2020/01/back-to-my-own-basing-for-bit.html

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
Nice job on those  :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:47 PM »
The upcoming Iron Duke range should give the period a welcome shot in the arm, as there have been few new Sikh Wars sculpts on the market since the 1990's.

I originally had high hopes for the Studio Miniatures range but that one quickly petered out and looks pretty much dead in the water now - it's nowhere near complete and I doubt it will be added to in the future. Then there was the stillborn Musketeer range Bill Thornhill briefly worked on some seven or eight years ago during his pre-Footsore days : a few greens were previewed but nothing came out of it and the figures were never released commercially. The 25 + year old Foundry still holds up rather well (I'm still very fond of it and I think the sculpts remain largely on par with most of what's on the market today despite their being 26 mil  rather than 28) and I have no intention of starting again and parting with the very large number of Foundry miniatures I already own, but I'll be following the Iron Duke rang's progress very closely and may well invest in a few units. 

Which reminds me I'd better put the Studio Miniatures Mk.1 figures I bought during their Kickstarter on sale in the Bazaar of Obscurities as I'm unlikely to do anything with them now. 

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 11:46:19 PM »
I am with you there Arthur, I had high hopes for Studio too, the Kickstarter stuff was really quite nice but the majority of subsequent relases were poor and were then withdrawn. I have 3 battalions of Sikh regulard which are nice fgures I will probably keep, I also have a British battalion which is nice, the Sikh gunners hold up well, the British gunners are just odd, with two absolutely lovely figures on that is poor and one that is awful, still I painted abttery and I am unlikely to part with it.

The Plastics from Perry's added to the Foundry I have and the Iron Duke releases should make for a really nice mix (I hope)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
From some of the posts on Facebook yesterday it sounds like it could be quite an extensive range planned.

Steve

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Mike is the kind of guy to ensure that any range he is associated with is both accurate and extensive so I agree and I am really lookign forward to these, just need to make sure that the finance department doesnt find out!

Online Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
Rogerc,

Love your new painted figures.
The painting on the Gurkhas is great.
Semper Fi, Mac