Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Announcing the 2020 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules  (Read 24046 times)

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Announcing the 2020 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 11:02:18 PM »
It's about time I joined this madness so I'm in.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 01:03:06 PM »
Rules question :

I want to make an entry that is a wrecked version of a model that I previously made. That initial model was a scratchbuilt and then resin cast item in multiple parts. 95% of the model was scratchbuilt with a small number of commercial parts used with agreement.

Can I resin cast another copy of the item from my original molds for the basis of the competition entry, with extensive further scratch building? Will this count as starting before the deadline because the molds and original model are a few years old?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
Right, I'm in. I've been wanting to do some ruined abbey bits for my English countryside scenery and that fits nicely into the theme.

Can't promise anything earthshattering or novel but it should at least look nice!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Rules question :

I want to make an entry that is a wrecked version of a model that I previously made. That initial model was a scratchbuilt and then resin cast item in multiple parts. 95% of the model was scratchbuilt with a small number of commercial parts used with agreement.

Can I resin cast another copy of the item from my original molds for the basis of the competition entry, with extensive further scratch building? Will this count as starting before the deadline because the molds and original model are a few years old?

Let me consider this for a bit and get back to you.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »
Sure I'm in, I've always wanted to do one of these since I saw last year's amazing builds! Do tell me if I've done something wrong as it's my first go.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
Been thinking on this for a few days...and yes...my ongoing Mortal Gods and Clash Of Spears projects are going to need some scenery...been ages since I built anything from the ground up as it were...so I’m in....just need to decide what with now lol
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »
Rules question :

I have given this a bit of a ponder, in fact more than necessary as the answer is quite obvious: a basic concept of the competition is that all participants should scratch build something, from scratch, being allowed to start at the same time and be able to finish the work at the same time. So I rule No to your suggested approach.

I hope you can come up with another project.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
I have given this a bit of a ponder, in fact more than necessary as the answer is quite obvious: a basic concept of the competition is that all participants should scratch build something, from scratch, being allowed to start at the same time and be able to finish the work at the same time. So I rule No to your suggested approach.

I hope you can come up with another project.

Hmm OK.

Not sure that I see the logic in the argument there.

You are saying that I can't copy and modify parts that I have made previously, but I can use parts from models that others have made previously and I have bought?

It strikes me that working from something I have created is a lot more challenging than buying a model and using parts of that in the competition.

Ok, that's the ruling. I'll see if there's another project that inspires me. If not, then I guess I'm out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:17:43 AM by Brandlin »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
Yes that is the ruling. It has never been an issue so far. You should, in fact, you should *all* be aware that since we have progress threads during the competition prep time, the creative effort that goes into the project will have an impact on how people vote.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
Yes that is the ruling. It has never been an issue so far. You should, in fact, you should *all* be aware that since we have progress threads during the competition prep time, the creative effort that goes into the project will have an impact on how people vote.

More creativity gets better votes - I entirely understand that - it makes sense, and would certainly affect my voting. I'm all for it.

By your own rules...
The vast majority of the piece should be scratch built, and only 0-25% can be commercially bought items or figures.
and
Conversion of commercially-bought items is allowed also e.g. as long as it is a major 'refactoring'.

You are ruling that using casts of ANY parts that have previously been created is illegal.
Using up to 25% commercially bought parts is OK. 

That defeats your own intent that you want to see more creativity not less.

As an example. Your ruling means that I can buy a GW 40k Rhino kit as a basis of a model and significantly butcher it and modify it to create a wrecked version. But I cannot take a model tank that I have previously scratch built, take the time effort and skill necessary to take a cast from it, butcher and modify that until only 25% remains and use that as my entry.

I am very surprised that your ruling is not a moderate "as long as it's less than 25%", or "as long as the cast parts have significant and major remodelling." or some such, rather than just a blanket "No" without discussion.

Anyway - your competition, your rules.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
Well, I could have been moderate and you could have asked me to consider the 25% rule.

I will let you base your contribition on a cast, if it can be considered no more than a quarter of the total build.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
25 have put their names down,hopefully at least half will make it through,could be a big year for the BSC :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
I think I forgot to stake a claim: back after a railway hiatus and in too.

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
As I'm in desperate need of more terrain I think I feel obliged to sign up!

I think I'm going to attempt something frozen...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »
Excellent chaps,the more the merrier   :D