Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689623
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Announcing the 2020 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules  (Read 24051 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Announcing the 2020 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:50:28 AM »
Build Something Competition 2020, a.k.a. 'The Potato Cup'. *)

The theme for the BSC2020 is:

Wreck and Ruin

GENERAL RULES

A child board has been set up in the Workbench section and all build threads must be started in this. A dedicated Gallery has been set up just for hosting contest images so please post your photos here:

Gallery for BS2020

You can then add them to your build thread - any questions regarding this just let me know.

The official start date is 01:00 GMT Saturday 4th January 2020 and all applicants must notify their intent to take part on the registration thread by Saturday January 25th, 2020. They will then be listed in the registration post. The list of entrants will be in alphabetical order (no favoritism). Please let me know if your username is wrong.

YOU CAN START YOUR BUILD THREAD IN THIS SUB-FORUM DIRECTLY.

Please name your thread according to this pattern:

BSC2020 <member name> <build title>  - for example, 'BSC2020 Hammers French Cat House', where Hammers would be the user's forum name and 'French Cat House' would be the object being built.

If you change your mind, if Real Life intrudes or if you realise after some contemplation the theme is not to your taste - just let me know and I shall remove your name.

One entry per member (no joint contributions).

Finished entries must be submitted no later than midnight Sun 9th March 2020 and the voting will start shortly after. That should allow for plenty of time to build something.

The build threads of the entrants should include as many progress shots as possible, including sketches, sources of inspiration etc. NO PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED ENTRY SHOULD BE POSTED ON THE THREAD - painting in progress is not allowed, only primed entries are permissible on the build threads - if you are unsure then please ask. I would however turn a blind eye to small details which have to be finished before assembly (for example a pilot and controls in an enclosed cockpit).

Final entries must consist of either one photo OR a photo-montage of the finished piece. No photo manipulation will be allowed apart from cropping, white balance and contrast within reason. Again, if you are unsure then please ask. You may include one separate figure in the final entry photo to indicate the relative size of the entry.

Photo size should be 1000x1000 pixels and sent as a jpeg to 'bsc2020@tsome.com'

Depending on the number of entries, voting will take place in one or more group, and then, again depending of the number of entries, the top one or two entries of each group will advance to a final vote.

A NOTE ON BIAS AND CONDUCT

I (Hammers) will, most likely be entering a build myself. I've done so in the past and I can pretty much prove the rules were not bent in my favour. I did not win, see, except once, and therefore it  doesn't count! . :D

While everyone is allowed, as per usual, to comment in progress threads, please keep things encouraging and constructive.

Although winners will be voted by the members collective of the LAF, if there is any sense of foul play the judges’ decision is final, although we would hope that it won't be necessary given the friendly nature of the LAF.

THEME RULES

The entry must include something that ties in with the theme of 'Wreck and Ruin'.

The theme should be interpreted as including all sorts of objects fallen into severe disrepair, be it crashed vehicles, blitzed buildings, ancient ruins and ships thrown onto reefs.

Ruined things often poses more challenges to the modeller than its well maintained counterpart and in this competition we want to see out participants excel in this. You may enhance your (de-)constructions with little embellishments like nesting animals, skeletons or firemen, if you like.

Although we have in the past seen some quite remarkable entries you should not think of this as a diorama contest! The entries should be practical gaming board props or gaming pieces. So rid yourselves of thoughts of fancy walnut veneer bases or artful backdrops.

Remember that the competition is run within the confines of the Workbench board: you have to build something. What singles out the Build Something Contest is that it is about construction of something new. The vast majority of the piece should be scratch built, and only 0-25% can be commercially bought items or figures. The rest must be handmade. If you have any questions either ask them here, to the above buildsomething email or via pm, but please label your email/ pm Build Something 2020.

The entries should be based for placement on a game board. You may enter up to three individual bases. There is no limit to base size, nor the shape of the base, but remember that the larger the build, the more difficult it will be to detect details in the posted picture.

There is no minimum or maximum limit of figures in the entry as long as they are an integral part of it. The traditional single, individually based miniature for size indication will be allowed.

Any period or setting is allowed as long as it fits with the theme including sci-fi, historical, pulp, fantasy etc.

Just like last year, any amount of 3D printing is allowed but we ask you to be especially diligent in including images from design steps (3D design files) and of part printouts in the your progress thread.

Conversion of commercially-bought items is allowed also e.g. as long as it is a major 'refactoring'. Another example could be a plastic aeroplane kit: adding a couple of extra parts to the kit would not be sufficient to qualify, but having some of the parts from a sprue on an entirely new build would be fine. Again, if in doubt, please ask.

It's not possible to cover all the eventualities, so please use your common sense and play fair. :D

Good luck, and happy building to all - and don't forget to REGISTER YOUR INTENT and START A THREAD.

Post any rules queries and comments as replies.

*) The name 'The Potato Cup' comes from an early run of the competition where a number of items where offered to the winner, among them a raw unpeeled potato. The winner picked the potato. Well, we thought it was funny at the time...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:11:12 PM by Hammers »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Announcing the 2020 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »
I’m in :)  And thank you Hammers for the hard work setting it up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:10:00 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »
I'm in.

I also googled "French Cat House" (It's a little hot here, I read it as "French Cat... house") as I had no idea what a "French Cat" was... there's actually some cute cat beds, etc in that search lol.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »
Well 'Wreck and Ruin' works well with either Necromunda or Age of Sigmar, so I'm in  :)
Now I just have to come up with something, that I can actually finish in time   lol

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 05:29:52 AM »
count me in

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 07:21:23 AM »
Sounds big! Sign me up.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »
Yeah, why not. I could do with a little something extra for this years Salute board  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
I’m in - could do with some terrain for my Game of Thrones project

:)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »
yes I should be up for this
I have a little unexpected time on my hands :'(

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Wreck and Ruin?  When I am about to embark on building more terrain for a post-apocalyptic Pulp Alley Vice Alley campaign?  PERFECT!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
I'm in.  I have an idea that'll work with my current AWI projects.  I just need to decide how to add the ruined aspect to it.

-Elroy

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
I suspect I will have a go at this. Now I just need to decide which theatre of operations it should fit into. Mediterranean? Northern Europe? The Far East?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »
Will most likely get on board with this - need to concentrate on one idea!

Online tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 06:44:00 AM »
I am in!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com