Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 25mm/28mm high density foam  (Read 883 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
25mm/28mm high density foam
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
Not sure what the stuff is called, but I picked up a few offcuts of very high density blue foam at a wargames show a couple of years ago.

Absolutely great for so many uses, but where (in the UK) can I get more?

If I must buy it online what's it called?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: 25mm/28mm high density foam
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:38:58 AM »
Insulation foam is what it is mostly used for here in the US.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »
I think (in the UK) the blue foam is XPS and tends to be used for flooring, so the cheapest source is the supplier/builders merchant. Google XPS floor insulation and you can find quite a few suppliers of pink as well as blue 1200mm x 600mm boards.

Worth noting that floor insulation is frequently thinner (5-10mm) and therefore cheaper than the thicker cavity wall boards, and you can source floor insulation that has higher compressive strengths - slightly less damage from dings, dents and elbows. Probably worth a trip to your local Wickes/Jewsons/Travis Perkins to see what they have and its what you want.

You can buy blue 'craft foam' from this lot, as well as a wide range of other types - https://www.panelsystems.co.uk.
Excellent service and pre-cut into possibly more useful sizes (as opposed to a 1.2m x 2.4m sheet) but obviously the craft version is more expensive than straight insulation. 

Word of warning, I personally found it almost impossible to cut large sheets at home and end up with flush edges; boxing them in with wood would take me ages and cost a lot more than I planned, so I ened up with enough hills and cliffs to make the Himalayas - not quite what I set out to do.....

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:32:44 AM by Flinty »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 06:23:42 PM »
Thank you