Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My new workbench/railway table/storage unit  (Read 703 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
My new workbench/railway table/storage unit
« on: January 06, 2020, 09:32:57 PM »
In my Build Something Competition 2020 thread I had hinted at a bigger project taking up my time.
It started with this:

But now it's this:

In spite of the appearance of the pic, it's not skewed! It;s just the perspective.
The top level is used for paint stations; the second level is used to store a railway table. To use it I can just remove the paint stations and peer down, or relocate it at the top.
There's a work surface on rails which slides out one side (well, the rails are in place, the surface is still to come). And it's on castors.
The lower level will hold a number of wooden boxes for storage - I have a couple, but it can hold a dozen.

This was a step up from my older painting table (an edge is seen in the foreground), which was immobile, and which blocked the centre of the room it was in. This one can be stored to one side, and can be wheeled out if needed. It's my first real woodwork project, and I made a few errors (nothing serious, though - at any rate it hasn't collapsed yet), so I'm pleased.
It still needs cleaning up, sanding and some wood stain.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My new workbench/railway table/storage unit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »
Are you using the old GW paint stations or did you create your own? I have often thought I should have bought more than one when I did.  It would be interesting to see a picture of the workbench fully loaded.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: My new workbench/railway table/storage unit
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:27:29 AM »
Are you using the old GW paint stations or did you create your own? I have often thought I should have bought more than one when I did.  It would be interesting to see a picture of the workbench fully loaded.
Two old workstations (thanks to wife!). One of them had its 'shelf' replaced as it eventually split. But I've had them for years now.
They are not too hard to replicate.
Loaded: it is already (no pics yet), but that's only the temporary overloaded 'look' until I sort out the room and clear the old table.
Unfortunately all this will be interrupted by a week-long trip later in January, and a work overload to make up for that!
Still, will try to progress a little over these 2 weeks.