Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone make 28mm Martian Tripods?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Anyone make 28mm Martian Tripods?
« on: January 14, 2020, 10:48:30 PM »
Does anyone make Martian tripods in 28mm ideally in an “HG Wells” style?

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Re: Anyone make 28mm Martian Tripods?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »
The Ironclad Miniatures Tripod has that water tank on legs look and listed in their 28mm range...

https://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3335727-Steam20.html

Description says...

“Martian tripod
This is a 11 piece kit, it stands 200m tall. supplied unpainted. assembly required.”

So I’m guessing that’s 200mm or about 8 inches tall?

Wells mentions Tripods are about 100 feet high, so that’s around 30 metres so in 1/56 around 540mm!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
Thanks Captain. I had seen the Ironclad one. As you say more like a water tank on legs so more VSF than alien. I am after something more alien looking.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
Minifigs do a nice one in their Great War of the Worlds range.

http://www.deartonyblair.co.uk/2013/11/great-war-of-worldsminifigs-styleupdates.html

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:03:02 PM by The Dozing Dragon »

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »
If you're into paper ones, you can wait and check out the upcoming 'Little Wars' Paper Soldiers Series book from Helion & Co.

You could copy and make as many as you like!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
Warning: commercial interest!  :D The sleek one in the 18mm Martian Empires range (modelled on the statue of a Martian tripod in Woking) is a mere 240mm high... it depends how big your Martians are! https://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/empv09---martian-cephalod-tripod-16093-p.asp
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »
check out the tripods for the 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' - I bought up several a couple of years back for a 28mm game (still in planning)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps

@Eric the Shed - I initially had the same idea but I can’t seem to find anyone selling them at moment. The game appears to have been sold and the new owner hasn’t got up and running yet.

@Fighting 15 Ian - That tripod looks good but do you have a comparison photo with it next to a 28mm figure?

@Dozing Dragon - Thanks for picture and link. Looks good. Didn’t know about that range. Like the Martian infantry  :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 12:10:06 AM »
I take from whats been said so far it's more jeff Wayne than the 1906 rendition of a tripod.You have in mind.
I'd recommend going with 15's recommendation/product as it's sounds the closest to what you had in mind.Even if its not a 100% on the money its definitely the closest and as such the easiest to tweak. Also at 24cm its pretty much as big as is reasonable navigable on a table top before its footprint becomes a hindrance to gameplay.Its the one thing that gets underestimated when planning a tripod model
I'm sure 15's will post a comparison picture .But in the meantime here's a picture of one of my VSF tripods  in terms of height its a little shorter than 15's tripod(I'd have to check just how much shorter))  .Its more to illustrate the footprint issue with a 31mm figure on a 25mm slotta base for comparison.
If you've an illustration of the sort of thing you've mind that might be helpful(even a back of fag packet scribble.)
As long as it's not that weird metallic Cadburys flake legged thing with dandruff the BBC went with.
I might even be able to come up with a speed build for one.
For ease and genre crossover I'd say 15's would still be my choice

Mark.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:20:01 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:17:37 AM »
that is an impressive tripod :o :o :o :o :o

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks for posting that picture Mark. Great looking model.

I have a 28mm WW1 British army and inspired by the War of the Worlds sequel plot line Great Martian World War (i.e. a second Martian invasion) I have been musing over fielding a Martian opposition to them of ground troops and maybe a tripod or two.

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »
Tin-Soldier.com (Reviresco)) makes one that has adjustable legs.
At full extension it is 9.2 inches tall. Look under their Victorian
Sci-Fi range.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:22:49 PM »
I'd totally forgotten about Tin-Soldier's .Is it the one that's reminiscent of  mosquito & diving mask ?
Here's a bit more of a context /sizing shot.The tripod and steam carriages are the ones I made a couple of years ago for DragonBait miniatures .
The other two I made for Graven Images well over a decade ago.
Your musings on the WW1 setting sounds interesting not only because I've the one or two WW1 vehicle.But it was one of the few aspects of the BBC version I quite liked(I know its set a little earlier but close enough in look.)
Personally I don't think you need to go masive with Walkers.Just so they're bobbing above the roof tops of your existing scenery looks pretty intimidating.Without constantly worrying about their centre of gravity being to high to take the inevitable table nudging that middle age spread brings in the form of your mate's.

If you really do get stuck for a commercial kit . I'll have a little spare time to come up with a uber easy tutorial ,after the York show( even if it's just card)) .As I've been toying with idea of building an opposition for mine to ages.
From a visual stand point keeping a riveted texture for human items only.Would instantly define both sides
Just see if you can find the odd image or sketch that's roughly in the ball park.

Mark.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:47:25 AM »
I see you also have the monolith british walker! It looks pretty nice.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
Pegasus Hobbies has a couple of tripod kits. A little rich for my pocket.
A quick musing amidst last nights insomnia EBay has about a dozen different brands of mini camera and phone tripods around the £2 mark Add a couple of large plastic spoon bowls overlapping for a armoured hull and you'll be able to knock up three fairly resilient. 20-25 cm walkers for £20.

(The british walker is Graven Images cast by Steve at Monolith but still me. Non the less ;))