Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pygmy & gorilla Help (crossposted)  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Pygmy & gorilla Help (crossposted)
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
Here is the situation - I have this idea for a Wood Elf army for Warhammer Fantasy that uses pygmies for wood elves and gorillas for the dryads, and I need assistance finding models for them that are not outrageously expensive. Anyone with ideas please post them, as I have drawn a blank - also, if you recommend a model, please link them.

Wood elf glade guard - Foundry Pygmies - I have one set of the archers with funny hats. Are there others to use?

Dryads - I want to use gorillas, but I don't of many that would fit on a 25mm square base besides Foundry, and they are just too expensive to field in two units of 12.

Glade Riders - what the hell could I use for pygmies as cavalry? the Wild Riders I can get away with lions or leopards, but the glade guard have bows and spears...

Treekin - I think I will use either hippos or some really big gorillas - but hippos and rhinos seem like an amusing option.

Treemen - I am going to use the Reaper King Kong and an elephant for the second one.

Waywatchers - these guys are super scouts with very lethal bows - any super camoflauged pygmies out there?

I am also trying to cut some costs here - all Foundry would be cripplingly expensive. Any love for me from the community here?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:32:55 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
Re: Pygmy Help (crossposted)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
Hi Sinewgrab,

Kallistra might help, under the 28mm fantasy range they do pygmy infantry, command and cavalry, (also some artillery, but i can't see that fitting in with your wood elves list)

at...

http://www.kallistra.co.uk/

hope that helps

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pygmy & gorilla Help (crossposted)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:47 AM »
Here is the situation - I have this idea for a Wood Elf army for Warhammer Fantasy that uses pygmies for wood elves and gorillas for the dryads, and I need assistance finding models for them that are not outrageously expensive. Anyone with ideas please post them, as I have drawn a blank - also, if you recommend a model, please link them.

Wood elf glade guard - Foundry Pygmies - I have one set of the archers with funny hats. Are there others to use?

Dryads - I want to use gorillas, but I don't of many that would fit on a 25mm square base besides Foundry, and they are just too expensive to field in two units of 12.

Glade Riders - what the hell could I use for pygmies as cavalry? the Wild Riders I can get away with lions or leopards, but the glade guard have bows and spears...

Treekin - I think I will use either hippos or some really big gorillas - but hippos and rhinos seem like an amusing option.

Treemen - I am going to use the Reaper King Kong and an elephant for the second one.

Waywatchers - these guys are super scouts with very lethal bows - any super camoflauged pygmies out there?

I am also trying to cut some costs here - all Foundry would be cripplingly expensive. Any love for me from the community here?

It's pretty easy (but a little fiddly) to "cam-up" standard figures using teased-out string fibres for grass and Woodland Scenics etc foliage glued to them, with some fine cotton tied around to look as if it is securing it to the figures. I've done this with sci-fi snipers etc in the past and it looks pretty good.

Otherwise you could go for some extreme body paint camo as used by the cannibals in the second POTC film.

Shame that the Foundry figures are too expensive for you, as they are my favoutite Pygmies, but the Kallistra ones are very nice and have you tried the EurekaUSA website, as they have some pygmies too, including one riding a giant ant, which just might fit your requirements:

https://eurekaminusa.com/product.aspx?id=1762&cid=196

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »
Conquest has zombie pygmies. Not sure if that would be useful or not.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »
It's pretty easy (but a little fiddly) to "cam-up" standard figures using teased-out string fibres for grass and Woodland Scenics etc foliage glued to them, with some fine cotton tied around to look as if it is securing it to the figures. I've done this with sci-fi snipers etc in the past and it looks pretty good.

Otherwise you could go for some extreme body paint camo as used by the cannibals in the second POTC film.

Shame that the Foundry figures are too expensive for you, as they are my favoutite Pygmies, but the Kallistra ones are very nice and have you tried the EurekaUSA website, as they have some pygmies too, including one riding a giant ant, which just might fit your requirements:

https://eurekaminusa.com/product.aspx?id=1762&cid=196

That is quite a good idea - I had never thought of gluing flock to them. And I have to agree that the Foundry ones are beautiful, but $20 american for 7 figures is a bit pricy for me right now.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »

If you're looking to save money, you could just use a standard figure base with tall grass/dense foliage on it and have an arrow (or blowpipe made from small tube or dowel) just sticking out, giving you Waywatchers that are so well camouflaged you can't even see them  ;)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
If you're looking to save money, you could just use a standard figure base with tall grass/dense foliage on it and have an arrow (or blowpipe made from small tube or dowel) just sticking out, giving you Waywatchers that are so well camouflaged you can't even see them  ;)

lol What a great idea! Similar to the "Invisible Frodo" using only a base with no figure on it.

Alternatively, if you have some spare heads, you could just have a bush on the base with a head sticking out of the top.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
I can't speak for outside Australia but the Australian Museum in Sydney used to sell absolutely ideal gorillas for the scale you require. They were rubber so you had to seal them properly. They were only .50c AUS each. I still have half a dozen.

So, maybe try your local museum gift shop?

Eureka Miniatures in Australia also sell some very nice metal monkeys (not chimps) that would be in your price range.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
Clack Cat has a smallish gorilla in one of their ranges that should fit nicely on the desired bases.... I'll see if I can find the link when I get home.

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »
Hi,

I am assuming the above post means "Black Cat"! If so thanks for that and the Gorilla is here: http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=145%2C145&CAT_ID=145&P_ID=605&btnProduct=Products...

If you want pygmys we have some of those too! They are here: http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=117&CAT_ID=117&P_ID=606&btnProduct=Products...

Thanks

Jo:)

As you guys like to be on the board where we can talk to you, can I get a comparative shot of that gorilla with another model, like one of the pirates? I need to get a better idea of it's size.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:06:39 AM »
Mega Minis has a pack of 9 apes for $USD8.00, he is great to deal with. Ebay for Pygmies in bulk.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:25:25 AM »
Hi,

I am assuming the above post means "Black Cat"!

Thanks

Jo:)

:-X Thats what I meant.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 05:16:40 AM »
See this post for pictures of the army!

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12424.0