Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My 3D Printing Adventure  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Hami

• Librarian
My 3D Printing Adventure
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
I have been hooked on 3d printing since my cousin introduced me to it a year and bit ago. Since then i have been busy designing and printing various different terrain to be used in games and rather than making several posts to display my work I thought I would just create this one and keep up dating this as I print more and more.

I mainly play Bolt Action games fighting in Normandy and Zombie games with the Old Man and Nephews. So I thought i would design a few buildings that can be used is both Zombie and ww2 games.

I have other designs on this forum like my normandy farm house ( http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118422.msg1492410#msg1492410 ) which my old man painted.

I am NOT a great painter, sadly this job normally falls to the old man who is much better however since coming back to the UK i thought i would try and do it myself so please excuse the paint job.

Bellow is a small ruined corner piece of a building with some scatterable ruined walls / corner.

This is the Ruined Corner.

The Scatterable ruins

Offline Hami

• Librarian
Re: My 3D Printing Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
So I had a small amount of plastic left over before putting a new reel on, so I test printed part of my Hesco Project. This will be used in my Spectre Operations and Zombie games.

This is based on the product that that Hesco provide and is used a lot in modern defences, PBs, FOBS, MOBs, check points etc.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
When I was out the country with work I managed to find some time in the evenings to work on my Normandy Project.

The finished product will be a normandy Style Village / town before and during fighting.

This is the project so far, these prints are just of the printer so need some tidying up etc.
Majority of them will have floors etc put in.

There is more to come o_o

The roof part failed towards the end hence why the top part is missing.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »
This is not only a very nice and impressive model, but also a very clear print! What kind of 3d printer are you using?

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
This is not only a very nice and impressive model, but also a very clear print! What kind of 3d printer are you using?

thank you,

These where printed on a Prusa i3, on draft mode (0.2mm - quick print option) otherwise they would along long time to print.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:30:34 PM »
Looking good hami! Looking forward to getting some street fighting in with you!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
Just getting into printing myself.  Impressive stuff.  What print volume do you have?

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 08:06:56 AM »
Just getting into printing myself.  Impressive stuff.  What print volume do you have?

I have printed all the above buildings on 0.2mm layers, 10-12% infil. This is the fastest way of printing things. I have tried 0.15mm - 0.1mm layers for these designs but rather a 12 hour print it exceeds 20 hours.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
My old man asked me to design the Abby like building from The Vengeance of the Lichemaster (Skaven) game.

I managed to find the original card designs online and this is what I based my design on.

I have also designed an intact version of this building which I will print at a later date.

I thought I would stick with the stone design I created for my ww2 stuff so that I could acquire this building from my old man to use in my Normandy Street fighting Bold Action games.

All I am missing now is the perimeter wall and tower, which is currently in-hand.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
That last one looks even nicer than the previous ones. Out of interest, how do you do the flagstone and brick walls? Do you have a "3d texture" which you can map onto an existing piece or do you add them one by one?

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
That last one looks even nicer than the previous ones. Out of interest, how do you do the flagstone and brick walls? Do you have a "3d texture" which you can map onto an existing piece or do you add them one by one?

i use AutoCAD for all my designs, i have not yet ventured into the 3d modelling software as yet. So i have designed a template (which took a few hours to do) and then I basically place this on to my design, do some minor adjustments and amendments to the overall design and then export it as a .stl file then print.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
I have printed all the above buildings on 0.2mm layers, 10-12% infil. This is the fastest way of printing things. I have tried 0.15mm - 0.1mm layers for these designs but rather a 12 hour print it exceeds 20 hours.

Sorry, I meant how big a volume can you print to?  My own is only 20cm x 20cm x20cm.......these look big models?

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 11:52:47 AM »
All my designs are for 20 x 20 x 20 as this is the capacity of my printer as well.

Most of designs do not exceed 18cm as this gives you space to brim if you think it is required.

I have started brimming a-lot of mine as there is nothing worse than 80% through print the corners lift (I have a few prints where that has happened).

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
So after a few days of convincing my 3d printer to stop turning my prints into spaghetti half way through, I have managed to get it working again and finally finished the Monastery complex.  Everything you see is based on the design that it can be used with any of the previous prints.
The external walls are now 30mm high rather than the 50mm high walls on the farm complex.
The gate has been reduced to 20mm in width and a door added (this can be used in Farm complex as well).

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
Ooooohhhhhh, very cool!

Why not let it print for those 20+ hours?  Do you have to babysit the printer the whole time?  Just wondering how this works.