Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27087 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2021, 01:16:19 PM »
Inso: Thank you, I am glad you feel I did him justice. I was definitely inspired by the art work on the old plastic "Space Dwarfs" box set and the crispness of the sculpt suited that bright and colourful style well. Having said that, his fearsome expression and sinister long coat would also go well with a more modern grimdark approach. Maybe I need to paint another version...

Moriarty: Thanks, I am relieved you like what I have done with your volunteers!

As for the bases, to be honest I thought it would be a shame to squeeze such unique creations inside the hull where they would be barely seen. I also thought the bright summer grass flock would suit their colourful uniforms.  I have magnetized the mortar so it can be dismounted from the carrier and set up in a fixed position, allowing the crew to be displayed. It does mean that when the mortar is within the vehicle you will not be able to see any crew but the weapon is quite big so I don't think it will look too empty. I had better finish it off to find out.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2021, 04:16:10 PM »
The SHODDY Self-Propelled Armoured Mole Mortar (SPAMM) and it's crew have been fully processed and are ready to dish out some damage!

Just in case you were in any doubt as to whether this was actually 40k please note the skull.

The mortar can dismounted and used in a static position.

Next up, my father has dug out an ancient blister pack from his lead pile which is inspiring a trawl through my bits box...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:18:47 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2021, 03:02:45 AM »
Who is selling these cheap tanks again? Asking for a friend with a problem.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »
Hi Palaeomerus, I got mine from ebay. There seem to be several sellers and the price fluctuates. See here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Plastic-Military-Playset-Toys-Car-Tank-Sand-Table-Model-Layout-/164247450605?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
If your friend does find a SHODDY solution to his problem please do post a picture in this thread!

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
AH, found some that will ship to the US. The key thing was looking for "sand table" tanks instead of plastic or party favor as I was doing. It says mine I mean my friend's should be here by mid April.

Thank you! These will most likely be facing off against some Tehnolog Brone Korpus tanks and robogear walker thingies eventually!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:09:55 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
You know you've spent over 40 years playing Ogre & GEV when the first thing that tank's profile brings to mind is the swept-back sensor tower on a Combine Mk. III.  :)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »
Now suddenly I'm imagining a tunneling ogre where the mast sticks up when it surfaces.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
"Death from Below" - witty dog :-)

See what you mean vis the space inside the tank. Still, the Mole Mortar being removable means you could substitute the weapon systems in the same hull :-)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2021, 11:53:36 PM »
Chief Lackey Rich - I had never come across that games system before (I have led a sheltered life) but looking into it I see what you mean about the resemblance. Having said that, SHODDY Industries has been driving down standards costs in the AFV market since at least 1938 and is still innovatively cutting corners in the 41st Millennium, so I would be surprised if they were not producing a line of nuclear armed budget cyber tanks in 2085AD.

Moriarty: I was watching Apocalypse Now on iplayer while finishing off the SPAMM and the the slogan seemed appropriate. As for other weapon load outs that is a good point and I have a few ideas. I would really like to mount a Shokk Attak Gun loaded via a tube from a trailer full of Snotlings like a Churchill Crocodile, but I imagine my scowling Squat officer would take a dim view...

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2021, 06:50:53 AM »
Thudd Gun, perhaps? Should be able to build one dismountable for use on a ground carriage? What are the dimensions of the tank well?

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
A Thudd gun is a good call, a suitably unusual (but classic) design and of course a good name. Are you offering to manufacture a vehicle mounted version? If you are it is a very kind offer. The opening in the SPAMM is approximately 3cm wide and 2.5cm front to back at its narrowest point, but don't worry too much about the dimensions, I am sure whatever shape or size the weapon system turns out to be the SHODDY engineers will work out some way of elegantly combining it with a chassis, even if it spawns a whole new variant!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2021, 03:49:13 PM »
I believe elagent and SHODDY don't go together lol ;D :D
Cracking work on this whole thread of madness keep up the SHODDY work :-* :-* :-*

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »
I'm sure that I can knock-up a Thudd-Gun-ish arrangement. If only I could remember where I left that stock of Valerie Singletons . . .

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »
Moriarty: I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I believe elagent and SHODDY don't go together lol ;D :D
Cracking work on this whole thread of madness keep up the SHODDY work :-* :-* :-*

Gamer Mac: Stung by your comments the SHODDY Head of Design is determined that the next variant to roll off the production line will be a sensuous coupling of artillery piece and chassis that will be at least at home in an Art Gallery as a battlefield. Probably more so in fact. For proof, here is a brief glimpse into the designer's "scrapbook of inspiration":

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:38:41 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
if that is your scrapbook for inspiration that explains a lot lol lol lol