Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Shadow-Grave  (Read 21905 times)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Professor O's Ghost of Shadow-Grave
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
lemme know if you do!

one thing to keep in mind though is that from the middle of a tile it takes.more steps to get to the edge in one direction than the other ... i wish id thought of it earlier  o_o

could have been fixed by stretching the hexs more that way (11 rows instead of 13)

might redo it    :o

forgot attach ... guy on pic is 32 mm base
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:56:08 PM by scatterbrains »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2020, 04:51:01 AM »
Train of thought:

Wake up in middle of night thinking "fool of a Took, if you used a square grid you could just count diagonals as a 1.5 inch move and call it a day!"

later that night ... 'yeah but i dont like how crowded it gets on a square grid with bigger bases and potentially 8 minis surrounding 1. and its cool that a troll can cover 3 dots and a giant can cover 7... it just loooks cleaner'

after morning coffee kicked my scrawny butt: 'of course! theres nothing wrong with the grid! why would you even think of even changing its shape! YOU HAVE TO STOP THINKING SQUARE!'

and so there it is ... i massacred my by boy with a pair of scissors!

from now on im playing on a hex table ... this one is 37 inches from opposite corner, just 1 inch over 3 feet ... and hopefully i can finally sleep properly this week.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:57 AM »
Wow. This is a really neat project to try. Given the time and if I can locate the material.... And to answer your question from earlier.. No the dots are not distracting at all. Maybe use a darker shade of green rather than black?
I should be painting right now.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
Wow. This is a really neat project to try. Given the time and if I can locate the material.... And to answer your question from earlier.. No the dots are not distracting at all. Maybe use a darker shade of green rather than black?

It really is neat to try! Don't know if the tiles are easy to find in Europe or America ... they are certainly very common in Asia. And yes I started painting the dots in grey, brown and green now and they look good enough!

Today a friend came by and started a ranger. His name is 'Erb ... because he found some herbs. Here's a picture of the HEX board in action for scenario 2 (the infected trees). Not measuring was great ...

Now our rangers are going to meet up and head out to the Beacon Tower. It seems we're going to need a lot of elevation ("into the boulder-filled maze known locally as 'the Scree'. [...] large rocks cut line of sight down to just a few yards in most places) so I just put together some cardboard hills with the usual printed paper textures and added the hex grid to it! Lemme know what you think.
The big ones fit together like Russian dolls.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
Plenty of great stuff in this thread. I particularly like your adventurers.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2020, 05:16:30 AM »
Those hills are great! East to store and very useful. Wow, I think I will use your technique.... well give it a try when I can. Looks very good. Rocky bits and the dots/ distance markings do appear to make it so much easier . What do you do for the fractions in movement ? Round the number or place the model between marks?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »
Those hills are great! East to store and very useful. Wow, I think I will use your technique.... well give it a try when I can. Looks very good. Rocky bits and the dots/ distance markings do appear to make it so much easier . What do you do for the fractions in movement ? Round the number or place the model between marks?

Thanks for the interest Corporal! I'll do a step by step when  I make the next hill ^.^!

I just round the number, this time we rolled a dice to decide wether to round up or down for this mission. It might be a bit difficult to manage with figures halfway between dots? It's not perfect for sure, only 6 axis where the distances are “true“ but it was amazingly quick and no trees fell over!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
Plenty of great stuff in this thread. I particularly like your adventurers.

Thanks a lot Rick! I've been in a terrain building mood more than painting these few weeks but hopefully I'll have more adventurers painted up soon!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
really nice combo of stuff terrain-wise.
kind of missed why you went to the hex shape bit - will come back to that later when brain kick-starts again.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2020, 05:17:15 AM »
really nice combo of stuff terrain-wise.
kind of missed why you went to the hex shape bit - will come back to that later when brain kick-starts again.

Thanks Bloogard, the reason I went hex ... I'm still not entirely sure myself. I tried to sum it up to myself and failed ... It just feels right. On a square table, movement would be in a straight line and faster from North to South, and in a slight zig-zag and slower from East to West. It becomes much less noticeable if the play area is round or hex shaped because you no longer think about it in those 2 directions...

Other than that, slow week this week, halfway through painting 5 Oathmark Goblins, and about 90% finished the hills I want for the next RoSD mission. Hopefully will finish stuff on my days off Monday Tuesday ...

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2020, 10:37:30 AM »
well, tbh, I'm always a fan of hexes whatever the reason, so more power to you. As mentioned, table's looking really good.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
we should start a hex fan club  ;D

Anywho finished off the hills, here they are in storage mode with room to spare inside for some scatter terrain, and spread out on the table:

Tomorrow 5 goblins to finish and some board gaming at a friend's place.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
I'm a bit of a fan of these types of builds. Simple effect,and useful.
I'd love to see you just increase the versatility of these buy applying a little interior detail so the upturned larger hills could function as caves or dungeons.

Mark

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »
I'm a bit of a fan of these types of builds. Simple effect,and useful.
I'd love to see you just increase the versatility of these buy applying a little interior detail so the upturned larger hills could function as caves or dungeons.

Mark

Excellent idea ... I think it could still be managed! Probably not this week though ^.^

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »
Goblins!

Cool models, need to find a more efficient way to paint them though! And struggled finding focus tonight, light must not be as good as last time I took pictures.