Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:26:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: North African Bersaglieri - First Bolt Action Project  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
North African Bersaglieri - First Bolt Action Project
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:21:55 PM »
Hello everyone. Just thought I'd share some pictures of my current WW2 project. Going for 1000 points of Bolt Action Italian Bersaglieri in the sand. I'm fairly new at the game and at this point have just been collecting whatever I think is cool. I have plans to do Finland, Hungary, and these Bersaglieri, but for the first bout I will stick with the Italians.

All of these pics are a WIP. Hope to post more when they are done.

I like the Warlord models but I am finding some of the metal Italians to be really hard to clean and prep before priming. Despite taking grit paper and files to many pieces there's a lot of residue and grainy surfaces on these metal minis. They must be older casts I am guessing? I think I might have also "double primed" on some spots unintentionally but so far they're looking okay I think.

I absolutely loving the l6/40 and Semovente da 75/18 I am have put together. They are resin and metal models from Warlord games. They're much better casts than the infantry and were very easy paint jobs. While the rest of my forces will be Bersaglieri, I think I might run these as just regular tanks in Bolt Action.

Finally, the Perry CV35 is pretty cool. Not sure I'll use it much, but I just wanted to have one. Will work on that probably as a side project later on!

I plan to run 4 units of 7 Bersaglieri per squad, all with tank grenades, machine gun, the basic upgrades. One of those will have Motorbikes, which I have minis for in the lead pile.  There will also be a light and medium mortar, Anti-tank gun, and Elefantino Gun. Most of my forces are infantry and Bersaglieri are expensive to field in a game, so it won't be a big force. I hope they defend North Africa well!

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Re: North African Bersaglieri - First Bolt Action Project
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »
An excellent start

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:38:31 PM »
They look splendid. I hope you post more pictures.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:53:10 PM »
Thanks chaps! I work on them daily although slowly, so I will have more photos soon!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:39:52 AM »
So I finished the first Squad of Bersaglieri , the l6/40 and the Semovente complete. Here they are!

You can see on the fellow on the far right that the arid terrain beneath him appears a bit darker. I originally used Citadel colors and texture paints:  Armageddon Dunes followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade, then a dry brush of Tallarn Sand followed by a dry brush of Ushabti, which turned out looking alright - but it was too dark looking for me.  So instead, I figured why even bother with the wash?  In the end I just did Armageddon Dunes and then a straight up dry brush of Ushabti Bones, and it turned out looking much better.

I have no Italian decals for tanks nor really intend to get any, so I gave the l6/40 an Ancient Greek Hoplon shield decal - just a Scorpion. Fitting for desert combat I think.

The grass tufts I wanted to use from warlord were way too big for infantry but I had some smaller ones from other companies so I used those instead. The larger rocks are just pebbles that get stuck in my shoes or dragged into the house and are left on my doormat.  I just wash them and use them on all my minis. They're painted Karak Stone then dry brushed over with Ushabti as well.

I'm going back to painting a few ancients before I continue because right now spray priming conditions are not very good, and I use Vallejo Desert Yellow to prime my Italians. I'll continue these Bolt Action guys again very soon when it is the right time!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:44:24 AM by Wiegraf »

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:55 PM »
They look excellent!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
Very nice.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
They do look rather good. Nice job.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 03:10:22 AM »
Looking a bit dusty!  Great work on the figures and the vehicles.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:16:57 AM »
Both tanks and infantry looked splendid
Keep em coming sir
Good moaning

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »
Looking good!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
Splendid work!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 05:14:26 AM »
Thank you everyone! Glad you like them so far.

I got in a mat from Cigar Box Battle Mats and did up some desert ruins and sandbags.  It adds a lot to the aesthetic and I don't have to take pics on a wooden island counter anymore!

I think my basing method stands a little different from the mat itself. The Cigar Box Battle Mat was much lighter than I anticipated but it is really well done for the desert. I think I may add some more lighter dry brushing to them to help them stick in better!

I have the next batch of lads primed up and ready to paint, but I am still working on some Ancient Italians first. It seems I paint a lot of Italians, be it in the ancient time or modern

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 05:52:44 AM »
I think your basing looks fine!  As a fellow Italian player, well done!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »
Thank you Sinewgrab! May your Italians always destroy the foe!

Finished another squad and nearly completed the elefantino!

Just need to work on that gun’s tires they removed and varnish the lot of these lads! Then back to ancient Italians for a bit!