Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:48:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 4 Progress Report  (Read 11377 times)

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Re: Mirjeki's Old World project
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:30 PM »
There's a little banner telling me off for not posting in over 120 days, oops! Now I feel bad.

Anyway, here's a new blog post with a (sort of) battle report of the first mission in a new campaign I'm playing with my partner:

https://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/2021/02/nemesis-crown-turn-1-battle-1-empire-vs.html

We played an Empire vs. Orcs & Goblins game. I was playing Empire and Laura was Orcs & Goblins. I won, but it was a close call! We're doing a map/territory based campaign so no the Empire controls 2 regions out of 9. The winner will be whomever controls all 9 regions. There's an exponential increase in power so hopefully it won't end in a stalemate that takes forever, but we'll see.

Here's some pics from the blog post:

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 06:24:43 AM »
Good to see you gaming and blogging again mate! Looks like it was a fun game. Good idea on the campaign.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 10:25:52 AM »
Lovely seeing these old school miniatures being used. I’m repurposing my empire and orc armies for Saga age of magic.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »
Great stuff, I hadn't seen your thread before.

Are you still using whfb 5th edition?

Very evocative games, your terrain is great. The warhammer old world has such a nostalgic pull for me, I worry about the release of the Forgeworld old world thing, it could end up quite expensive. 

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Great stuff, I hadn't seen your thread before.

Are you still using whfb 5th edition?

Very evocative games, your terrain is great. The warhammer old world has such a nostalgic pull for me, I worry about the release of the Forgeworld old world thing, it could end up quite expensive. 

Yeah I mostly play WHFB 5th edition - it's what I started with when I got into miniatures back in the 90s and it feels the most 'old world' to me because I have fond memories of it being brightly coloured and filled with hopeful characters.

I like quite a lot of the later stuff too, but the narrative started to spiral into a mess of grim miserable people being mean to each other endlessly which I find a bit boring. When getting back into Warhammer Fantasy I decided to stick to the rules & background books where good guys are good and try to help each other and the land of Bretonnia is more Excalibur than Monty Python.

I'm tentatively excited about the new Old World that GW are doing - but then I've always been a bit of a foolish idealist. My main concern is that they'll release the entire thing in a new huge scale and so it'll be completely incompatible with any of my current models. This is what they did with the new Necromunda so I need to reign in my excitement a bit.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
I quite like thinking of Bretonnia in the sense of the movie Excalibur and dislike the idea that the Lady in the Lake is merely a manipulative Wood Elf using Bretonnians as a cat’s paw. GW really went off track in my opinion with their oppressive, omnipresent grimdark.

Whilst I find it interesting that the Old World is making a comeback, I fear you may be right on figure scale. And I think that the stuff we are seeing in the Total War pc game series is going to be foreshadowing some of what is coming, ie Kislev and Cathay. I am pretty sure the success of the Total War Games has been what is really behind the return of the Old World. Although I suppose rank and flank games that are doing well, ie Kings of War, Oathmark, 9th Age have their share in the return as well.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
I quite like thinking of Bretonnia in the sense of the movie Excalibur and dislike the idea that the Lady in the Lake is merely a manipulative Wood Elf using Bretonnians as a cat’s paw. GW really went off track in my opinion with their oppressive, omnipresent grimdark.

Whilst I find it interesting that the Old World is making a comeback, I fear you may be right on figure scale. And I think that the stuff we are seeing in the Total War pc game series is going to be foreshadowing some of what is coming, ie Kislev and Cathay. I am pretty sure the success of the Total War Games has been what is really behind the return of the Old World. Although I suppose rank and flank games that are doing well, ie Kings of War, Oathmark, 9th Age have their share in the return as well.

Yeah the fiction definitely seemed to nosedive after a while. I like a bit of grit with my fantasy, but a little goes a long way. Making everything miserable and everyone deceitful and out to get each other doesn't allow you to like anyone in that world. The Lady of the Lake 'reveal' was just one in a long list of terrible decisions that was made about the Old World. Did you know they also had the Dark Elves end up being 'good guys all along' in the end - even though they'd spent the past 4000 years raiding, butchering and torturing innocent people?

I was telling Laura about The End Times fiction last night and she said it sounded like someone that really hated classic fantasy just wanted to tear it apart for their own satisfaction. Sorta reminds me of The Last Jedi...

I saw the trailer for TW:WH3 and I liked it. I'm really enjoying the Total War: Warhammer series and I'm glad we'll be getting to play as our favourite Polish-Lithuanians in the 'not-Earth' that is The Old World. I'm certain that the Old World revival will include Cathay (and it's already confirmed to have Kislev), which is interesting, because it's also more or less confirmed to have Bretonnians, Wood Elves & 3 factions of Empire as well - so it looks like it'll have a broader scope than I initially thought it would.

The thing that's allowing me to hold out hope that they won't change the scale is that they still have a lot of Fantasy models available - and presumably some masters of OOP molds. I feel like it would be a good driver of sales for the existing Empire, Wood Elf & Dwarf models (or Freeguild, Sylvaneth & Dispossessed Duardin as they're now called) if they were to keep it to the same scale as old WHFB.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »
No, I was not aware of the Dark Elves “good guy” reveal. I was pretty disgusted with the End Times fluff so did not read all of it.

I agree completely with the comparison between End Times and Last Jedi.

Cathy is already confirmed for the pc game so I am pretty sure we will see it on tabletops, same as Kislev.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Re: Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 3 Wood Elves vs. Bretonnia
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 10:14:46 PM »
Next battle report in my Nemesis Campaign is up! This time it's Wood Elves vs. Bretonnia.

https://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/2021/03/nemesis-crown-turn-1-battle-2-bretonnia.html

I'm going to start a Mordheim skirmish campaign soon as well, so watch this space for some grubby street fights in the future.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
Great stuff mate! For the Lady!

Thanks for the shoutout. Sorry I can not leave a comment on your blog... I seem to not have an appropriate account in order to do so.

Keep having fun and sharing it with us all!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »
New battle about to be played today! Bretonnia vs. Vampire Counts!

Can Sir Tristan redeem his honour by saving the good people of this farmstead or will the evil forces of Count Gulthias capture them for his own nefarious purpose?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
For the Lady! Wishing good fortune to Sir Tristan.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 07:33:59 PM »
The blog post is done. It was a very tense battle in places, but it was good fun! It's always enjoyable to have a narrative objective to work towards rather than just 'kill each other'.

https://darkspacemessages.blogspot.com/2021/03/nemesis-crown-turn-2-battle-1-bretonnia.html

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 3 Bretonnia vs. Vampire Counts
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »
A brilliant read! Great job on the blog. Thanks for the nod. Looking forward to more!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Re: Mirjeki's Old World project - pg. 3 Bretonnia vs. Vampire Counts
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
A brilliant read! Great job on the blog. Thanks for the nod. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! Those skeleton spearmen are lovely - you did a great paintjob on them.

I'm gonna have to finally paint the rest of my men-at-arms spearmen now that I've added another 5 to the army. Doing these battles is a good way to keep up the hobby motivation at least.