Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another AZW Project in Progress  (Read 3841 times)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
Another AZW Project in Progress
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:53:13 PM »
Finally after a mere 40 years procrastination I have a Zulu Wars force in "proper" progress!

Previous unpainted attempts all still sitting in the cubboards somewhere...
Mikes Models 15mm
Esci plastics 20mm
Minifigs 25mm (1979??)
A Call to Arms 54mm
(even in 1/6th scale)

and finally BTD in 28mm and as I have gotten older have realised that buying and hoarding figures is pointless, so having pretty much completed my rather large LOTR collection I have started my first proper historical foray and BTD Brits Infantry and Arty under way....

Obligatory bare metal Zulu pile (couple hundred, will need same amount again)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Another AZW Project in Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
Very nice sir...welcome to themadness

Offline Sapper

• Student
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 10:33:18 PM »
Hi

Be careful - think what the madness can lead to !  In 2011 at Colours, we put on an AZW demo game .  It portrayed the British firing line at Isandlwana on a CORRECT GROUND SCALE, and with figures on a 1 to 1 ratio !!  There were nearly 4,000 Zulu figures (representing the first wave of the Zulu centre) and four full sized companies of British Infantry (400 figures)!

Sapper

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:31:17 PM »
Welcome to the fray. May you soon be 'Washing the Spears' (well, maybe with an ink-wash :) )

With that many scales, you have relieved some of the guilt I felt yesterday when (finally wargaming AZW in 15mm) I stumbled upon my 1/72 collection in a box  :?

Good luck!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:13:12 AM »
Those BTD redcoats looking very nice. Good luck with the rest of your project.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
:)
Thank you all and please remember your considerable share of the responsibility, due to my daily intake of the superb material on this site !!! :D

Still a way to go, as all will need fancy tufts etc added to bases and I will buy sabot movement trays for them.

I looked long and hard at choosing which range to buy and decided that BTDs, despite being around for quite a while (and the dodgy helmet) seemed to bring an excellent balance of price  and quality. It's a pity they don't do any cavalry, but I have decided on empress for that, plus a few infantry specials from redoubt.

The zulus I will purchase almost exclusively from BTD, but still unsure of the NNC.

I will also get some rorke's drift terrain, although the individual buildings are priced quite expensively for what I think are simple structures that could be done in foamboard (unless I can pick them up used).

I have a few uniform questions that I will post separately, I'm certain the knowledge is on this board as my google-fu has let me down.

Finally I believe it is Nick Collier (?) to whom I must doff my hat on the extensive BTD ZW range that were quite clearly a labour of love given the variety!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
hello

thanks for posting...i had the same stance...after more than 30 years...after having built up core of Zulu/British armies out of ESCI, Tarzan Airfix, WW1 German Airfix conversions and Minifigs i landed, becoming old, at 28mm ..Foundry, BTD ecc....so your post encourage me  :)...as you also have among your lead pile i suppose all the goods from BTD can you please tell me..or better post/send a pict of those 2/3 packs of what i imagine are very useful spare types..labelled British Infantry Personalities..whose picts  are present on BTD site?

thanks

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
Italwars do you mean

and

I took photos of all for just this reason..

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
thanks so much Londoncalling for be so kind to post picts of the minis...your answer and picts very welcomed..and at the right momemnt as BTD is offering a 30% discount on AZW 's British plus the favourable exchange rate £/Euro and a very honest 5£ only for international postage ... ;)

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
Fascinating project to follow! thank you for sharing your slide into Colonial gaming  lol! I too have recently succumbed after far too many years vacillating
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
About to paint up:
BTD rocket crew - would these chaps be in artillery blue or infantry ?

Quartermasters - all in dark blue including cuff braid, collars, cap, no red stripe on trousers ?

Any advice appreciated :)

BTW I have also spent much time reading http://www.1879zuluwar.com - awesome resource there. I suppose I should be crossposting there as well, button and rivet counters have nothing on those guys. Serious knowledge !

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 12:00:25 AM »
About to paint up:
BTD rocket crew - would these chaps be in artillery blue or infantry ?

Quartermasters - all in dark blue including cuff braid, collars, cap, no red stripe on trousers ?

Any advice appreciated :)

BTW I have also spent much time reading http://www.1879zuluwar.com - awesome resource there. I suppose I should be crossposting there as well, button and rivet counters have nothing on those guys. Serious knowledge !

According to the Osprey British Forces In Zululand 1879 the Rocket battery at Isandlwana had one RA bombardier and 8 infantry privates from the 24th foot. Plus the RA officer commanding the battery, Major F.B. Russell. The plate shows him wearing the blue braided patrol jacket rather than the tunic. So a mix of uniforms.

Quartermasters definitely no red stripe! Should be a double white stripe, and white edging around the collar
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:12:31 AM by vodkafan »

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:11:52 PM »
According to the Osprey British Forces In Zululand 1879 the Rocket battery at Isandlwana had one RA bombardier and 8 infantry privates from the 24th foot. Plus the RA officer commanding the battery, Major F.B. Russell. The plate shows him wearing the blue braided patrol jacket rather than the tunic. So a mix of uniforms.

Quartermasters definitely no red stripe! Should be a double white stripe, and white edging around the collar

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but would this uniform information be the same for NWF Quartermasters?

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »
Londoncalling, if you ever decide to part with your Mike's Models, please let me know. I started my Colonial collections about 35 years ago with Mike's Models and they form the backbone of all of my armies, including those of the AZW. I'm always looking to augment the forces of Her Majesty or those of King Cetshwayo.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but would this uniform information be the same for NWF Quartermasters?

I haven't got any specific info on quartermasters on the NWF. I suspect that it would be though, as they were not front line troops .