Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Picture scrolling  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Picture scrolling
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »
It drives me nuts that a vertical scroll bar for wide posts is contained ONLY at the very bottom of the post.  This makes viewing a stack of pictures very difficult, as one must review first the left half of the pictures, then go to the bottom to scroll right, then go back through and review only the right half of the pictures.  Is there any way to change the forum settings such that each picture has its own vertical scroll bar?

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Picture scrolling
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
I agree...there must be an easy way for people to post their wonderful works so that we don't have to scroll. >:(
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »
I never have to scroll since getting a modern monitor. When discussing picture sizes a few months ago I was told I was behind the times because my old-fashioned monitor couldn't show an 800 pixel-wide image on the LAF without there being a scroll bar. So I got a new monitor.

I'd like to be as helpful as possible and not post pics that are too big for other people's screens (when I had my old monitor I never posted anything that caused a scroll on my own screen, I thought that was just being polite). I'd like to continue to do this but since I realised I was such a backward caveman and came out of my cave I found I had no idea what was a good size for everybody else. It would be nice to know what resolution the "Average LAFer" uses and what their screen can cope with, as I have no wish to be the cause of annoyance to others, but as it is I'm totally in the dark as to what is the right size. With my new monitor, nobody's pics are too big for my screen any more.

I agree about it being annoying (even though it doesn't affect me any more). Since the LAF changed format last year, one downside has been the way the forum treats wide pics. The old LAF did it differently I'm sure, but I can't remember what it did.

By the way, don't you mean horizontal scroll bar? A vertical scroll bar scrolls up and down the page, not left and right.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »
800 pixels wide for photos - maximum.  No need to change any settings on this or any other forum.  Posters just need to lean correct, er...Posting Picture Etiquette ;)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
By the way, don't you mean horizontal scroll bar? A vertical scroll bar scrolls up and down the page, not left and right.

Er, of course you're correct.   ::)

I have a very modern, and extra-wide monitor at work.  But for whatever reason, instead of showing more of a wide picture, it shows exactly the same portion of the picture as does my old, narrow monitor at home.  The wide monitor merely stretches that visible portion of the picture.  I've tried to change the settings so as to show more picture without stretching, but I've been unable to so far.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
I do not have a small monitor.  However, I do other things on my computer than browse the web, so I like to keep my browser no more than 900-1000 pixels wide.  Telling someone to upgrade their equipment is unhelpful, IMNERHO.

I would be content with either a scrollbar /above/ each image, or maybe an auto-resize down to 800px on the images.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »
I didn't tell anyone to do anything, Froggy. Where did I say that? I was asking about folks' monitor sizes so as to ascertain the maximum picture size to post to prevent scrolling. Not being able to see other people's monitors (I can only see mine, which never gets scroll bars), I had no idea how big pictures can get before it becomes a problem.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:06:18 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:08 AM »
I posted in pique, and you have my apologies for any offense.
I believe my point still stands, though.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:41:31 AM »
I never have to scroll since getting a modern monitor. When discussing picture sizes a few months ago I was told I was behind the times because my old-fashioned monitor couldn't show an 800 pixel-wide image on the LAF without there being a scroll bar. So I got a new monitor.

I concur. Modern monitors do wonders for avoiding the scroll-bar. However if the internet browser isn't full screen I need to use the scroller.

Of course what Froggy has suggested would be useful for those who still see these bars.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »
The question still remains; can anything be done about it?  Presumably the Prof reads these "About Forum" posts.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:08:21 AM »
The question still remains; can anything be done about it?  Presumably the Prof reads these "About Forum" posts.

Sure, the Prof did read it and will check it. He is a bit busy at the moment, almost on the way to airport. More later, maybe first tomorrow. Please be patient.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
Sure, the Prof did read it and will check it. He is a bit busy at the moment, almost on the way to airport. More later, maybe first tomorrow. Please be patient.

I can be patient.  Thanks.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »
I can be patient.  Thanks.

Thanks. Now I'm in Germany and unfortunately still too busy. My family. Let me check the settings and the forum software next week as soon as I'm back in Russia again and I will get back to you with the results.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
bad news, currently no way to change that. There is a mod for the SMF forums, for auto resizing of the big images, but it works only with the new beta version of the software. And I don't want to go with a beta version. So one day we will have a solution but unfortunately not today.

You could try to use to switch off the left panel of the forum using the button on the top (see attachment) while looking at the pics, that would help to see more.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
Thanks for looking into it.  I hope you'll keep the problem in mind, should it become possible to fix it in the future.