Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689532
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Paraguyan Project  (Read 9107 times)

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
Re: My Paraguyan Project
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2021, 08:55:39 AM »
Very nice project so far. South America is quite an interesting theatre, WotTA and WotP are both ones that have my interest as something to dabble in in future. I recently picked up a copy of It's Getting a Bit Chile which I'll likely run a test game with at some point before jumping into a project.

Keep up the good work  :D

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
Nice additions to the collection 👍

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2021, 09:45:08 PM »
Thanks guys!

I have another thing done, the second, and final for now, Brazilian gun.

This one is firing and I did the guys in the dark blue uniform, mostly because I was trying out a new way to do really dark blue with GWs contrast paints. 

Anyway I'm pleased with how it came out.  I have three more horses to paint and then I'll be out of stuff I have primed right now.  I'll have to get back to cleaning and spraying some more figures tonight.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »
Nice additions to the collection 👍
When can we expect your first triple alliance stuff, Keith???  ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »
I finally managed to get a game in.  We did the opening of the Battle of Estero Bellaco at Historicon/Fall In last night.

We managed to play through it twice with the Paraguayans winning both games.

I still need to do a few more units before I have complete forces to do the whole battle.  I have to order some more figures from the Perrys and now that the command figures are out it is a good time to do that.  I'm hoping that I can do a bigger version of the game at Cold Wars.  I'm actually hoping that we have Cold Wars at this point too.

I'll probably also run it at the winter Bushy Run Games day.

In the first game the Paraguayan cavalry did the lion's share of the work, pretty much smashing all opposition down without getting smashed themselves with some fantastic rolling for saves.

The Uruguayan infantry did not last long against the onset of the Paraguayans in either game, getting ridden over by cavalry in the first game, but then done in by infantry in the second when the infantry charged past the cavalry in their enthusiasm to get to grips with the enemy.

There weren't too many figures on either side so the games lasted about an hour each.  Still I think everyone had fun which is the point.

The redoubts are a little large for the artillery pieces.  In my reading of the battle the guns should not have had any kind of defensive works at all probably.  I wanted to give them a little something in game terms to reflect them having more troops than I had for the game.  It added a little scenery to an otherwise featureless battlefield.  I won't be using them the next time I run the game.

Carnage was pretty heavy on both sides in both games, which was a nice reflection on how the actual battle went with massive casualties on both side.  It was pretty touch and go who was going to break first in the earlier game.  In the second game the Paraguayans had things in hand more but they still suffered incredible losses, they just managed to spread them out over their units in a more (game terms) tactical way.

The marshy ground did a pretty good job of breaking things up from a maneuver perspective and really gave the left flank Paraguayans something to think about on their trek across the battlefield.

We used Black Powder for the rules.  It worked pretty well.  I gave everyone pretty standard stats.  The Paraguayan cavalry had an extra attack over the Brazilian cavalry and had a special rules for their bolas which never proved effective and wasn't even used in the first game.

To reflect the Paraguayans attacking and being a little bit more enthusiastic in this phase of the battle I gave their commanders a leadership of 9 and the allies a leadership of 8.