Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: UPDATE 2/6/20 - Reliquary (pg. 3) - My adventures in Late Antiquity  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: UPDATE 24/4/20 - My (long overdue) adventures in Late Antiquity
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:53 AM »
Two new blog posts today!

The first one is a discussion on the persistence of stereotypical narratives in wargaming, particularly "the Dark Ages" and "the Fall of Rome", that scholarship is quickly leaving behind: https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/04/wargaming-late-antiquity-part-1-decline.html

The second one is an update on my painting so far! https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/04/painting-update-bacaudae-soldiers-and.html

There's some pictures below, too:

I'm also starting to consider what rules to use, and so far have settled on Pulp Alley... probably not the traditional route but there will be more on that later.

Has anyone used Pulp Alley for Ancients/Medievals? I like the idea of getting a different experience than the typical pitched battle.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
Nice work and a very good read on your blog.

I agree that the Western Empire didn't so much fall as assimilate. Very much in the same manner that even after 476 C.E the "barbarian" invaders often formed the elite of a particular society and pretty much left the rest of society alone. After all, they had invaded/emigrated to enjoy the riches of Roman society and why would they do anything to ruin things?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »
Nice work and a very good read on your blog.

I agree that the Western Empire didn't so much fall as assimilate. Very much in the same manner that even after 476 C.E the "barbarian" invaders often formed the elite of a particular society and pretty much left the rest of society alone. After all, they had invaded/emigrated to enjoy the riches of Roman society and why would they do anything to ruin things?

Thanks for the kind words - and for reading!

Yes, you've summed it up very neatly there. There's much more to the story, and I think it definitely has a place on the tabletop.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
I would imagine that the wolf would still inspire something in romans of that era. So I can under stand going for it over, the Chi ro.
Also I think most folks who fallow history are starting to lean to the migration assimilation  vs the invasion displacement narrative. I see the coming of Saxion Briton, in the same vain of the Dane Law and Norman conquest. (while some times being very bloody, it was mostly a change of who gets to live in the big house)  lol
I mean take my family name. It as Saxon roots, but according to family history and DNA testing aside from some German and Scandinavian added over the past 150 years. I am supposedly a 2 way mix between folks from South East England, and Northwest England.
Which goes into what I know about are family because my moms family moved from northern England and my Dads family moved from Briton in 1642 to Virginia colony from Suffolk.  So if the Saxons murdered all the males, the Paternal DNA link would have degraded or disappeared.

"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
I also like the idea of the bacaudae, seeing as how the old order was upset, more and more Peasants, Surfs, Plebs, what have you turned to banditry to survive.
 I would go for assassin but, the armor and doesn't give of the skulking in the corner vibe to me.

And I was thinking that this might work out pretty well for Pulp alley. Looking forward to seeing were you go with that Idea.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
I would imagine that the wolf would still inspire something in romans of that era. So I can under stand going for it over, the Chi ro.

Yes, I am playing around with the idea that the soldiers are in the employ of a Roman official of some kind :) It's fun to think about.

Also I think most folks who fallow history are starting to lean to the migration assimilation  vs the invasion displacement narrative. I see the coming of Saxion Briton, in the same vain of the Dane Law and Norman conquest. (while some times being very bloody, it was mostly a change of who gets to live in the big house)  lol

I mean take my family name. It as Saxon roots, but according to family history and DNA testing aside from some German and Scandinavian added over the past 150 years. I am supposedly a 2 way mix between folks from South East England, and Northwest England.
Which goes into what I know about are family because my moms family moved from northern England and my Dads family moved from Briton in 1642 to Virginia colony from Suffolk.  So if the Saxons murdered all the males, the Paternal DNA link would have degraded or disappeared.

Fascinating family tree! And yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head :)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
I also like the idea of the bacaudae, seeing as how the old order was upset, more and more Peasants, Surfs, Plebs, what have you turned to banditry to survive.
 I would go for assassin but, the armor and doesn't give of the skulking in the corner vibe to me.

And I was thinking that this might work out pretty well for Pulp alley. Looking forward to seeing were you go with that Idea.

Yes, it's an interesting idea to bring to the tabletop. The problem they posed was that their actions disrupted the flow of revenue, so the response was quite heavy handed. I will have to read more about it!

I'm quite excited to give Pulp Alley a go, I'll be sure to share what I come up with!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: UPDATE 29/4/20 - My (long overdue) adventures in Late Antiquity
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
Well, here's another update!

I've written a couple of posts since my last update here. I've gone from this:

To this:

And managed to paint a couple more fighting men:

You can read all about it here: https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/04/painting-and-building-update-christian.html

I haven't built much in a while, so it's good to get back into it. I have a big building to finish (a deal from a very long time ago!) so this is a good warm-up. Looking forward to having it finished, although I recognise doing a full interior is quite ambitious!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: UPDATE 4/5/20 - My (long overdue) adventures in Late Antiquity
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
Some more progress on one section of the interior:

More to come but that's enough for now :) Full blog post here: https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/05/building-update-sanctuary-interior.html

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Another update in and quite happy with the results:

I've been hanging onto the "Hellenistic Sacrifice" set from Baueda for years, so it's nice to finally get some paint on the plinth. I'll likely use the additional jugs inside, too. It's a lovely kit.

Some more progress shots and a bit of discussion here: https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/05/sanctuary-building-update-interior.html

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Another update in and quite happy with the results:

I've been hanging onto the "Hellenistic Sacrifice" set from Baueda for years, so it's nice to finally get some paint on the plinth. I'll likely use the additional jugs inside, too. It's a lovely kit.

Some more progress shots and a bit of discussion here: https://inclitvsrex.blogspot.com/2020/05/sanctuary-building-update-interior.html

That is ace  :o

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pulp Alley will work for just about any genre of gaming, depends on what sort of game you are after.  I’d also recommend checking out Fistful of Lead and Tribal.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pulp Alley will work for just about any genre of gaming, depends on what sort of game you are after.  I’d also recommend checking out Fistful of Lead and Tribal.

Thanks for that, Nick. I've noticed over the years you've had quite a lot of experience with Pulp Alley so I'm happy to hear from you on this :) I have a copy of Tribal here but not yet familiar with Fistful. I think I'll try Pulp Alley first, but I've got about 4 or 5 rulesets bookmarked (including this one, now)  lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
That’s a cracking build  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/