Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695385
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 529
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1465 Burgundian St. Andrew's Cross Colours?  (Read 781 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
1465 Burgundian St. Andrew's Cross Colours?
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Hi everyone!

A quick question this time, I'm plotting some painting for my Burgundians, but I've gotten a bit indecisive about colours!

I'm using Jean de Haynin's Mémoires as a source and he makes this description of Charles (then, Count of Charolais)'s personal guard:

"Ceux des archers du comte de Charrolois estoient de drap my-parti de noir et de violet, les archers de corps ayans une croix Sainct- Andrieu de deux bastons nentelleux dedans un fusil, et un C et I) ès deux costez dudict fusil, tout d'orfèverie"

My understanding of the passage is this translation:
"The archers of the Count of Charolais had parti-coloured cloth of black and violet, the archers of the body [his personal guard] had a cross of St. Andrew made up of two knotted batons, in a fire-steel, with a C and I on either side of the fire-steel, all in gold"

So my question is, have I understood the passage correctly? And in terms of the colours, it says "all in gold" but I'm not sure if this includes the Cross of St. Andrew itself, other retinues are explicitly said to have white crosses, but in this case I'm not sure if it should be gold (with the rest of the ornamentation), white like the other retinues at Montlhéry, or red, as a 'default' colour?

I've hastily put together some mockups in MS Paint to get across what I mean:

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:12:03 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: 1465 Burgundian St. Andrew's Cross Colours?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 07:45:35 AM »
According to Montlhéry 16 Juillet 1465 Louis face a la de Bien Public, Christian Delabos, Philippe Gaillard the cross, for livery purposes should be red.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
According to Montlhéry 16 Juillet 1465 Louis face a la de Bien Public, Christian Delabos, Philippe Gaillard the cross, for livery purposes should be red.

Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I've got a copy of the book but wasn't able to track down the text with that in! (The illustrations certainly back up what you're saying though!)

Do you know which bit of the book that gets described in? (If you've got a page number that'd be amazing)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I've got a copy of the book but wasn't able to track down the text with that in! (The illustrations certainly back up what you're saying though!)

Do you know which bit of the book that gets described in? (If you've got a page number that'd be amazing)

Yes, no probs on page 18, under illustration on the top left: "Archer de coys de Charles, comte de Charlolais" or in English, Archer, Charles Count of Count of Charlolais body Guard.