Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fernando's do BoB  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
Fernando's do BoB
« on: May 09, 2020, 10:22:42 PM »
Ever wondered what Fernando's Enterprises, Sri Lankan painting operation extraordinaire, would make of BoB? Having despaired of ever painting my figures myself, I took the plunge...and was very impressed. These are all Fernando's medium quality (figures are mainly mix of Copplestone and Siberia, bases are Big Red Bat). Mfl.  I know some of the uniforms are distinctly 'BoB-unlikely' but I'm not going through the rigmarole of sending these to the other side of the world and having them just painted khaki!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:34:56 PM by Nogbad »

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Fernando's do BoB
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:40:55 PM »
They're lovely.

I particularly like the irregular edged bases. Very cool.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:10:08 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 11:10:15 PM »
and some more
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:05:34 AM by Nogbad »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:19:05 AM »
Beautifully painted! Great job.
Yes, there are errors in uniforms, but not so many.

I agree with Mark - the coasters seem very interesting and practical.

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 04:09:16 AM »
the irregular bases blend with the table/mat much better than straight edges. worth a look.
 I'm not that bothered about uniform inaccuracies (looking at photos of the war, I wouldn't say uniform conformity was one of its strong points) but one of the obvious drawbacks of getting someone like Fernando's to paint is that there's much less room for maneouvre than if you paint them yourself.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:17:05 AM »
There are just some things that are impossible in principle)))
For example: the Russian shoulder strap never has a fringing of the outer edge (except for cadets of military schools).
Or the Turkmens never wore too colorful bathrobes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:18:49 AM by cuprum »

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 04:41:08 AM »
I didn't know the Turkmen were so dull but I'm afraid if someone is willing to paint the sort of garish stripe patterns I could never do myself, I am not going to say no, I want mud brown please!
The RCW was about the only major 20th century conflict in which thankfully everyone wasn't wearing khaki or grey so I certainly wanted to exploit that distinction.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »
Turkmens did not wear too colorful robes. But the Uzbeks and Kyrgyz had them - but did not have large fur hats)))
These are tribal differences.
I agree with the fact that this war makes it possible to use many colorful uniforms. But this topic is still little studied in fact ...
I can help with the choice of colorful (and historically reliable) color options, if necessary.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 05:13:30 AM »
Nice work! I've used Fernando for many years and have only had one or two issues. It really pays to send them as much detail as you can. I see that they have re-opened for business but I am  having difficulty finding a way to ship.  Whose bases did you use? They look a bit like Simon Miller's from his BigRedBat shop. 

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 05:14:43 AM »
Oh well, I'd like to think these particular Turkmen are more in touch with their expressive, artistic side.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »
Nicely done...I love Fernandos ..I paint everything now that I;m retired..but in the past...nevzer a Problem,,

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
Wonderful figures.
Love all the color.
Sometimes we forget we are playing with toy solders.
They don't have to be perfect to enjoy playing games with them.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »
Those look great Nogbad.  I bet you're pleased.   I hope to see them featuring in some battle reports when that's possible.

Personally, I'm glad we have Curprum to point out our mistakes.  If you painted your Napoleonic Redcoats in Green or gave your Waterloo French 1805 Flags people would be queuing up to tell you what was wrong.  I remember one particularly long and bitter online exchange about the colour of the French Guard Chasseurs à Cheval trumpeter's hat.   lol   

It's nice to get things right though and having knowledgable people to educate us is a good thing.  Lots of periods have seen improvements in accuracy since wargaming began.  Gone are the ECW troops in Rugby jerseys and Ostrich feathers, the Carthaginian Pikemen at Zama and the Tricornes of the AWI Redcoats at Guildford Courthouse.  It's  good to improve.

The colourful bathrobe troops do look good, even if not quite accurate.  Maybe your BoB battles can take place in a made up central Asian land where they do wear those.   ;)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 12:17:53 PM »
Hey people! I was not going to offend anyone.   :?
These are just toy soldiers - everyone has the right to paint them as he pleases.
But aren't you curious to know how things really were?  ;)
You don’t need to read a hundred books and collect information scattered through various sources - I have already done this and am ready to share this information with you  :)

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
No offence to me at least.  I was being serious.  I repainted the Grey Budenovkas on my civil war Bolsheviks and added the letters I missed off on my banner.  lol

It is genuinely great to have people with good knowledge and who are willing to share it.  It's annoying to find out you did something wrong but there are no painting police to arrest you and most people won't know anyway.  Please keep pointing out the mistakes.  You are always helpful when we ask first.  :D