Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm IDF with Tavors?  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm IDF with Tavors?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »
I did the Lanchester SMGs and shotguns, plus the EM2s... If that counts lol

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »
For one of your weird WWII projects I take it? :)

It was funny in one of Forgotten Weapons recent videos where there was a comment from one of the British armourers after firing the EM2 called it a load of dreck. So much for the alt-histories. Still, they looked cooler than the FN FAL. :P

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 05:06:27 PM »
It was more about the rounds than the guns.

Anyway the Brit SA80 wasn't much better!
Anyone who has fired it will recognise:

"Rifle fires one or two more rounds..."

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
Yes the Lanchester was to arm my Dieppe Naval Shore observation party.  I needed two lol. Only did it because it was cool  8)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
It was the 7.62 version they were testing (something about the 280 ammunition being held at a different site and there being too much paperwork involved to pull even a few rounds from the system).

I believe in the discussion the critisms were over the trigger and overly complex internal mechanisms. Rather than having a bar running from trigger to the firing mechanism, they instead just made the system so convoluted that it took up the whole space instead. Though it was also said that the early FN Fals also had their issues, so they would have been sorted out if the thing had gone into production.

Tsk, and I still have friends who swear by the A1 SA80. Thing is they either manned a gun in the back of a truck all day, or were in the artillery, so never had to use the thing much.  ::)

Anyway, well I think we'd both rather collect figures which are cool rather than your run of the mill infantrymen. Which probably isn't great for finding storage for any of this junk. I'm turning a two level house in a bungalo right now so I can fit more terrain in a box. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:47:28 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
It was the 7.62 version they were testing (something about the 280 ammunition being held at a different site and there being too much paperwork involved to pull even a few rounds from the system).
Imagine firing an original M16 rebored for 7.62mm X 51mm.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 06:35:27 PM »
They only went for the 7.62 model as that's what the Americans were forcing on them. The plan had been to use the intermediate 280 catridge. It was politics which killed the project - with Churchill preferring the Fal, and the Americans insisting on the calibur - only for them to abandon it and go with the M16. Forgotten Weapons did mention that about 2 of them did see combat trials in the Malayan Emergency IIRC.

Still, for anyone doing alt-history WWII games they really aught to be using the EM1 (the FG42 based one) - if that (even then you'd be ignoring the whole process of deveoping a firearm). Eyes up Clockwork Goblin with their EM2, AKM / RPK armed models. * :P

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
How is that?

What sight?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
That's already much better than what I'd find acceptable. :)

The handguard has a series of angled cuts in it. Not sure how they would appear at this scale, but they're present on all the models of Tavor I've seen if they're doable.

If you're looking for sights then a red dot would work. That first link I posted has a 360 view of the Fort-221 which may be useful.

https://victorcg.artstation.com/projects/0qd6K

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
 lol no chance.  You are already down to 0.1mm in places.  The slashes would need to be pretty large to show up.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
Looks like the 'slashes' would be invisible at more than a few feet anyway.

I could use a few of these myself - though what I really need are AK-12's and other more unusual Russian weapons for my mob wars games!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
That's fair. The handguards would be mostly covered up by the figure's hands anyway. :)

Just to reiterate here, thanks for all the work Rich. I'm floored that you'd even consider this. This has been an idea I've had in my head for years, and so far badgering the odd company to help me out's gone nowhere.  :P

Radio Dish Dash's Ultracombat figures look like they have AK-12s. Though at 28mm just replacing the upper handguard on a figure with an AK-74 with some rails may be sufficient. Some of the Spectre figures probably have AK-12s as well.

Meanwhile I completely forgot that I wanted to make a few figures armed with bullpup AKs. They'd be a hell of a lot simpler for me to make than a Tavor of course (just do them like the real thing by cutting up a plastic AK's receiver. Hmn, if I had many of those left now that Warlord's no longer selling those Wargames Factory spec ops sprues).

(OK the last one's made be a non-state arsenal, so they at least tried to make the thing not look like so much of a bodge. Don't get me started on the craft produced ones out there... :P)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Cheers for the tip on Ultracombat. I'll have a little look at them  :D

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »
The magazine angle on that last one looks a bit odd (for a Bauhaus Corporation magazine angle of odd).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
I'm assuming that the Groza is chambered for 9x39, Vepr is using 5.45x39 and IPI Malyuk (last one) is the 7.62x39 variant. So they all have different magazines.

The AK 103's chambered for the same round as the Malyuk. If you can picture the initial part of the magazine being cut off due to the firearm's body then it may appear to have a more pronounced curve than it actually has perhaps.