Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm IDF with Tavors?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
28mm IDF with Tavors?
« on: May 09, 2020, 11:54:14 PM »
With Mike Bravo Miniatures gone AWOL I'm wondering what the other options for the Israel Defense Force are. Specifically figures armed with Tavors.

Mongrel Miniatures figures come with Galils. Stan Johansen Miniatures do have Tavors, but I'm not into the sculpting - nor the price with international shipping.

Spectre Miniatures does one mercenary with a Tavor (maybe a few more), not much to make a force out of.

And that's about it as far as I'm aware. Which is a shame, particularly in that the figures could be used for a number of foreign forces as well (which is what I'm wanting to use them for).

Any ideas, or is this something I'll have to wait another decade on to find figures for? Or if someone has that set of figures I ordered that never showed up from Mike Bravo maybe put a comment in. ;)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
Re: 28mm IDF with Tavors?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »
I believe White Dragon Miniatures in their Courage in Conflict range will be bringing out modern IDF.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »
Tagore, but possibly not the right scale...

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/tavor-arms

I suspect they are too chunky for modern gamers, but I suspect my Space Opera rebels in a Galaxy far far away might find a use for them.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
Currently holding out for White Dragon IDF. I have his Brits and they're very nice, slightly chunky compared to other ranges but allows for painting them that much easier.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 04:07:20 PM »
Yeah, the Anvil Industry figures are unfortunately aimed at the 40K crowd - which is a pity as they have so much stuff which is just unusable unless you're using the bits for larger scale figures.

White Dragon May be what to look out for then. Their proportions will be the main concern - as my existing figures are mostly Empress, which tend to be tall, but with a skinnier profile. If its just a squad of guys with Tavors though then their guns being a bit larger may not be so obvious.

If I could get a hold of the loose guns though I'd be looking at sculpting up the figures themselves. But gone are those days - and I'm not involved with 3D printers. :/

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:24:47 PM »
Find a drawing and I'll take a look if you just want guns.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
Crivens Rich, that's be great! :D

Would this be suitable?

https://victorcg.artstation.com/projects/0qd6K

If you could do me a set of those then I'd go ahead and sculpt up some female Ukrainian soldiers with them, and be right chuffed of course.  ;)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »
Needs to be side on and a line drawing ideally.  I did have a quick look but I don't know which model of tavor

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Ideally I'm looking for the FORT-221,  based on the Israeli CTAR-21, though any of the standard models would do.

There's differences in the below images (barrel length, muzzle brake, pic rails, sights), but the base gun's the same. You could possibly mirror the two sides for the majority of the details - as they're designed to be ambidextrous (and most are too small to notice the difference at 28mm anyway - barring perhaps the charging handle).

Offline Corporalslim

• Student
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »
Shipways have a couple of IDF sets and additional sets of just Tavors but, as usual, they're not cheap.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »
How long do you want them? 
Note this is important as heroic guns are far larger than 'scale'
Warlord's for example are by my calcs generally around 1:45 ish scale.
What I've done in the past is draw it so it's in proportion then scale it to suit.

Small things like the trigger, catches and the hand guard details are highly unlikely to print anyway. 

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 12:41:49 AM »
Do you mean physically on the model? Going by Empress' figures their AK-74 is 1.8mm long (943mm), and Steyr AUG is 1.6 (790mm), so a CTAR-21 at 640mm would probably come out around 1.26mm long. Or there abouts.

Empress is what I'm using for most of my moderns. They're not "true-scale" like Spectre, or Heroic like The Assaut Group. They seem to be around 1/52nd, or a smidge bigger. Though its probably better, and simpler, to err on the larger side of things where necarry - for the sake of the gun's not being too short for potentially anatomy issues with any sculpts. You probably know more about how Empress scale things than me - though you may just stick to contracting for their vehicles.

With how short the barrels are at least breakages probably won't be so much of an issue as is a concern with the smaller scale guns out there. Really just a nub with a muzzle brake attached. :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:44:23 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »
Do you mean 12.6mm or are you looking at 1:300! lol

I only do vehicles for now :)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 11:29:42 AM »
Started on it before work.  No pics yet but later  ;)
The barrels will be fragile, so it might be a case of overscaling them a bit. 

The other thing I've done in the past is increase the xz scale by 20%. This makes them chunkier but  not longer, it's not obvious.  Can sort that in the slice  and try both ;)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 03:25:47 PM »
Sorry, I meant foot. I thought we were talking about 1/1 scale here. I'm looking for reenactment props/ something to carry to look threatening when the power goes out and we're fighting over water in 1-2 weeks. ;)

Have you designed guns before, or has it been all vehicles and artillery? There's good work in doing the masters for scale weapons from what I've heard.