Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:14:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Russian Diary  (Read 14764 times)

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
Re: My Russian Diary
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »
With still not really a lot of games going on in my area, I decided to work on yet another project connected to my great Russian Empire.
At first I wanted to make some Cossacks for my World War 2 army, but then I decided that I wanted to stretch it a bit, and work on some steppe tribe for Saga.
I think this might be as far as I am willing to stretch the project, as I am not sure if it will have much to do with Russia beyond that point.

Warriors I made from Gripping Beast, and they are a bit underwhelming to be honest.
I do not mind old metal miniatures at all, but some of the sculpts seem kind of lazy. And on top of that the miniatures here are repetitive. But then again you got always the option to do something about that with head swaps, and extra bitz. In this case I decided to not put too much effort into it, as it is just line infantry.
So maybe I am the one to blame, but still would not buy them again.

Next up, the first squad of veterans, also made from Gripping Beast miniatures.
I decided that the only real difference between veterans and warriors will be that veterans have shields. I did not want them to look too different.

Same goes for the colors of the whole army, I decided on purpose to keep them very uniform, rather then mixing a lot of colorful differences into them. It is not historical correct, but I like the enjoy the look on the table a lot.

Second veteran squad is made up from Fireforge, which are of a way better quality. They are also a lot bigger, but it feels like as if they work well together. Even in mixed up squads.

The plan for this project is to go up to 10 points, so I can vary tactics a bit, but everything has to be on horses. No plebs on foot!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:14:54 PM by Seuchenhexer »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »
I like the light grey colour choice for the clothing. My tendency is to want to paint them in browns with the odd blue or red bit.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »
Thanks, I really do like the grey as well. Especially as there was no way I could add another brown to an army that is made of nothing but brown.

The third veteran squad of my tribe warriors. Full on Gripping Beast, with no modifications.

And to not just paint brown all day long, I also did the french hussar from Hot& Dangerous Season 2. Of course in more or less Russian colors so I can (in theory) use it with my Napoleonic War army.
But the fact that she is a juggernaut compared to everyone around her, and that her saber begs to be bent and broken off, will probably mean she never will leave the shelf.
Still a pretty nice model, and one of my favorites from the series.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:19:51 PM by Seuchenhexer »

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »

Another warrior squad for Saga, and more or less the last one as I now got my six points for playing well sized games.
Of course the warlord is still missing, as I just ordered the miniature in January.  o_o

This squad is made of the Fireforge miniatures, which are of much better quality and detail then the Gripping Beast ones. But they got a somewhat odd size, being even bigger then my Warlord Games stuff.
I hope mixing them on the table will not look to out of place.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »

With Sibirian Steppe Tribe project coming to an end I painted whatever was left, finishing one more veteran squad, as well as a replacement for the veteran, and the warrior banner carrier.
The one on the left is from the game Mortal Gods, and the rest from Gripping Beast.

And finally I could work on my two heroes.: warlord and drummer from Fireforge Games.

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2021, 12:09:03 AM »
I really like the way that you've themed so many different projects together - and its eminently sensible as all your basing and terrain should match  ;)

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 01:48:03 AM »
Thanks for the comment!

There is one more unit (of 12 camels) I have to do, so my Steppe tribe for Saga is finished. Sadly I have not received the camels from Warlordgames yet, so I had to work on something different this week.

For my Wolves from the East for Sharp Practice I had to do eight Cossacks. I got those from Perry Miniatures, but changed the hats, with some greenstuff, so they look a little more Siberian (of sorts). I also painted the remaining hats in the same color as I did with my Steppe warriors, so all in all it looks like as if they are from the same tribe. Just with some hundred years in between.
The flag is from GMB Design.

While I hope to get back to the Steppe tribe as soon as possible, I am also close not to finish the Wolves from the East list. Just the Opolchenie and the Jägers are missing. Which sounds like another order to be placed with Perry Miniatures.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2021, 09:37:31 PM »
Finally I finished one of the many projects that have been started in this thread!

First off the army I want am playing in Saga now (with not much new in the picture): being the warlord and bodyguards, a war drummer, three veterans and one unit of warriors.
When playing with a legendary warlord I just cut back on one of the veteran units.

Of course there is a lot of extra units I can switch through.

I also gave the warlord a new set of bodyguards, so she now has her war cat, and a pair of hunting dogs.
This was done because I just did not like using the normal veterans as bodyguards, as they kind of took away from the warlord standing out, turning them into what looked like a normal unit.

And last but not least the legendary camel unit that you can take as with the Mongols.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2021, 03:17:20 PM »
After finishing my Siberian Steppe Tribe (aka Mongols for Saga) I want to get my Wolves From The East for Sharp Practice finished next.

Officers and nobles on horse, from Warlord Games.
And as with all the armies in this thread, a fitting dog to accompany whoever will be in charge of the forces on the table.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2021, 01:15:33 AM »

Opolchenie from Perry Miniatures, the banners I got from the blog Pushing Tin.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »

Russian Jägers from Perry Miniatures.

And the (for now) finished army for Sharp Practice.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 04:10:27 PM »
After the adenvture into the dark ages, I wanted to get back to World War 2. I still got some vehicles in 15mm I have not worked on yet.

Captured German Hanomags, and Lend- Lease US halftracks for my scouts.

Plain and simple T- 70, with one being upgraded with a 45mm VT-42 L/66 gun.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »

A Object 704 from Heer46, and SU- 152 from Zvezda, still for 15mm.
I replaced the cannon of the Object 704 with a 1/72 KWK 39 L60, as the white metal one from Heer46 was not what I was looking for.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:32:23 PM by Seuchenhexer »

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2021, 02:17:19 AM »

A company of 15mm SU- 100 from Zvezda, with tank riders from Battlefront. One of my favorite tanks, as most are without a turret.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:32:37 PM by Seuchenhexer »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2021, 06:22:32 AM »
Very productive Suechenhexer!