Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 11:16:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696066
  • Total Topics: 118738
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WIP table for Crimson Dust  (Read 6407 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
WIP table for Crimson Dust
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »
Well I've spent the last month and a half building my table ready for Horizont in Esbjerg, Dk for my Crimson Dust rules, so I figured I'm always enjoying your guys photos so I'd show some of my own. This is my tabel so far, its only half completed yet and the buildings have only had the base coat and no details have been added, but I hope you get the idea.But now on to the table:

As you can see there's a lot of open space to be filled yet, but it'll come.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:18:09 AM by dijit »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: WIP table
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
A GOOD START!

Keep the photos coming....

:)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
Indeed, it looks very promising. Let's have more of it!  :)
per aspera ad astra

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »
nice... I like that curved hill/rockface... may nick that...  :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll show more progress here as i finish more stuff and figures (I've got some finished they just need basing now). I'm still trying to work out ways of breaking up the open flat expanse of sand - any ideas?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WIP table for Crimson Dust
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
Well my brother came over for the weekend, which gave us chance to try out my board and the half finished Crimson Dust rules. Crimson Dust is a sci-fi skirmish game using mutliple D6 rolls to establish the results of shooting moving, etc. Its also a turnless game with players activating models or using a leader groups of models in sequence, being turnless means you can keep activating the same model whilst your opponent for example activates all of their models, as opposed to variations of 'I go - you go'. Anyway here's some pics of the game and my still half completed table, you'll notice theres two more buildings for the earlier photos and the others have more colour (and highlighting which you can't see) and the beginings of bits of vegation around them - though none of them are fully completed yet. I'm also in the process of making more 'incidental cover', random stones, bushes, long dry grass, etc. Taking a bit of inspiration from the Firefly sets.

Alistairs troops prepare to storm the central building, whilst my troops prepare to give covering fire.

the same time but viewed from my side of the board showing my two snipers on the hill behind and my assault troops moving to secure the objective and take on Alistairs troops at close range with SMGs.

A picture from towards the end of the game, showing the buildings as fully accessable. I managed to secure the objective only to be pushed off by Alistair's assault. Meanwhile one of my snipers downs two of his troops, one with a head shot killing him instantly (thats why he's no longer on the board), whilst the other gets so badly wounded he does nothing but scream in pain for the rest of the game (near the left most corner of the middle building).

A good and interesting game, that was certainly a lot of fun and showed the rules well, though as its still being play tested there's a few things that need modifying in the light of the game.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:36:09 AM by dijit »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
Hey and hello,

Looking good on the table for sure. Any chance of seeing closer pics of the terrain itself. I am eager to see the layout close up and personal. And is it possible to get a quick explanation on how each was built and what from? But looking real good, keep it going. :-)

Grimm

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:42:46 AM »
I'll try and get some close up pictures taken tomorrow. the buildings are built from Cork board, whilst the domes are expanded polystrene balls cut in half (which you can get from most 'girly' hobby shops, i.e. where they sell weird paints, and beads and stuff), whilst the circular sections are lengths of drain pipe cut to size. Once glued together I've then filled any gaps with filler, and painted it with textured paint by adding sand, PVA glue and filler powder to waterbased wall paint. Quite simple really. The base boards is just thick polystrene insulating boards cut to size, being as thick as they are and then with gaffa tape around the edges they're quite robust. All the grass, which I have to say is quite effective is made from sisle (sp?) string as in Fichtenfoos tutorial:
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/making-tall-late-autumnwinter-field-grass-from-jute-twine/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:24:02 PM by dijit »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
Well here's some more pictures, up close and personal:
We follow Sergeant Mclaud as he leads Troopers Brians and Jenson on a typical days patrol as the they search a small village on Zeus 3.

Here we see a wider shot, showing more of the buildings typical the wastelands of Zeus 3. In the foreground is a very rusty moisture condenser often essential in these parched lands.

Outside the village the search a wady where a weapons cache is thought to lie hidden. Royalist rebels often choose to stash their weapons on the edges of the villages as typical of many insurgents.

Later that day they storm a small holdsted where the leader of the local rebel group is thought the be hiding, after this shot was taken a farmer was shot dead and due to unrest Mclaud had to withdraw his troops. In the foreground of the picture can be seen Sanberry bushes a hardy bush that provides much of the fresh fruit in these regions. Also in the behind Mclaud can be seen another moisture condenser.

The moisture condenser is built from bottle caps and superglue caps with bits of electrical wiring as piping. The rust effect on the condenser and barrels (which is very effective) is taken again from Fichtenfoo's site. Basicly spray the item rust coloured then spray again with hairspray attach salt to the still wet hairspray where you want the rust, spray and paint the item as you want it (don't use too watery paint) then rub off the salt letting the rust colour show through and giving a rough texture to the edges - perfect and easy. Thought not quite as good as Fichtenfoo's yet.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:32:23 PM by dijit »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
That's a really good-looking table. The condenser is an excellent example of using rubbish to build an effective piece of terrain, as are the pine-cone "bushes". They would also look great in a VSF etc jungle. I've got something similar in the garden which would look ok.

You should have hours of fun with that set-up  :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »
Well here's a few more pictures. the first one shows the board as modular showing an alternative layout instead of the earlier 'P' layout.

Here's a few pictures of my latest building showing its construction

and without the roof:

As I think I said its built from cork flooring tiles on a hard board base and with hardboard roof, the circular section is drain pipe and polystrene supports around the walls.

And just to show something else I'm working on, my third fully finished scuplt, not too bad considering it's only the third one I've done:

And here's another I'm currently working on. I don't know if I'l ever do anything with them or whether they'll just stay 'green' so I can see what I've learnt in retrospect:

Hope you like them
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:20:48 AM by dijit »

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »
Looking very nice dijit. I especially like the rows of bushes and other small pieces of scenery, they give a lot of atmosphere to an otherwise quite empty table. Not the empty is a bad thing. It looks very nice. I defenitly wouldn't mind playing on scenery like that...
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
Great sculpting work!  Although the bodies look a trifle small for their heads.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »
Great sculpting work!  Although the bodies look a trifle small for their heads.
Well i'm glad its not just my eyes that are funny! I thought the same thing. The bodies I've measured to be 28mm to the eyes and used hasslefree heads. I'm not so if its because the shoulders aren't broad enough, or the heads are a little bigger. But either way I'm still learning so hopefully I'll get the proportions better next time - practice makes perfect as they say.

Looking very nice dijit. I especially like the rows of bushes and other small pieces of scenery, they give a lot of atmosphere to an otherwise quite empty table. Not the empty is a bad thing. It looks very nice. I defenitly wouldn't mind playing on scenery like that...
Hopefully when I've finished it won't be so empty, I'm planing a few more buildings, and perhaps so sort of mechanical/factory type thingy or maybe solar collectors, something to give the village a reason for existence. When/if I expand it I'll hopefully add an oasis too. Then a few palm type trees too. I'd really like to go for the tight packed slightly chaoitic look for middle eastern towns and villages.

Offline Spicker

• Bookworm
  • Jakob Spicker
    • My Picasa Pictures
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
Looks great so far... can't wait to see the finished table at Horisont.

Side note: Perhaps you could be lured to Esbjerg to give a little pre-demo game to the local club?
"...Smith suspected that she now saw him as a contemptible, worthless eunuch, or, in the parlance of women, a friend."