Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Sort of battle report p.9) Warhammer assorted-ness.  (Read 25073 times)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: (The Halflings are coming P3)Warhammer Empire army.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »
So despite my plan to work on the castle over xmas weekend being ruined by the being ill and sleeping for most of it instead....
I've managed to make some progress, the octagonal tower now has a roof/platform and the crenelations have been roughly added and I've managed to knock a gatehouse together, the passageway and door is so there's something to see through the portcullis, even though it probably won't be visible, I'll know. Also I had to take the photo of it like that as I forgot to take one before gluing the levels together.

The castle now has two wall sections and three towers, not sure this is progressing to any sort of plan.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2023, 09:41:43 PM »
Loving the look of the castle very keen to see more.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2023, 01:12:49 PM »
Yeah it's slow progress, the main problem is stopping myself going too wild with plans and distracting myself from just building the parts. :)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:18 PM »
Looking great.

If you are planning on cutting a lot of the same angle I found making up a jig out of wood was really handy.  Alternatively you can get a mitre box for set angles.  Closer cuts just minimises the amount of gap filling later!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2023, 04:40:18 PM »
Cheers, I might need to make a jig later for some of the wall sections, though it's subject to remembering or not.  ;D

I do have a cheap mitre box that provides lovely straight cuts (used to get the crenelations into sections), but only if you cut across the gap at an angle, it came free with a hacksaw.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2023, 03:56:12 PM »
Kinda cycled back to what I started on a while ago and more importantly I've actually finished a unit of Kerniggets of the realm, only 6 but they can form a lance and that'll do for now. I also made a custom movement tray and still need to make another for a unit of ten which can be used for an expanded knight of the realm unit or the questing knight battering ram that's still to paint.

Also after taking advantage of Nick's sale there's a quickly built and painted evil Chloe the necromancer.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (Knights of the realm P4) Warhammer Empire army.
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »
Those look excellent! That generation of Bretonnian figures was my favorite and you did a great job on them.

I find the notion of a necromancer named Chloe hilarious! But then, why not?

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2023, 05:43:50 PM »
Cheers, I've had those figures stashed since they first came out, so rather quick work for me.  ;D

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2023, 06:41:45 PM »
Finished up some more foot knights using the Fireforge something or other set.

First up the unit with shields finished and then half the two hander unit, the rest are built and undercoated just having a break from creating unique colour combinations. This leaves me with a spare frame from the box but I can't face adding anymore to these units.

Can't remember if I said earlier but I'm considering these to be units of knights errant who either can't afford horses yet or have been made to walk to teach them some patience.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2023, 06:59:35 PM »
In some sort of demented tribute to the BSC I've started on something that could have been entered in a different year.

Finally getting round to building a small river, only three sections 8" each, and of course it needs a bridge. I've gone for a early medieval/Romanesque style so there'll be nothing to stop anyone falling off the sides. The water needs a few of the gaps repainting and a bit of blending between colours done but that's basically how it's going to stay.

Edit: I've just realised that people used to throw votive offerings off bridges so it could fit in this years theme.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 07:02:52 PM by voltan »

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: (Bridge of doom WIP P4) Warhammer assorted-ness.
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2023, 10:27:11 AM »
Great work on the construction but for me that is very bright blue.  I would be tempted to give it a green wash to subdue it a bit.  Most rivers are silty and gungy as anything with weed and various things floating about giving a slightly dirtier look to the water.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2023, 03:53:25 PM »
Cheers and, Yeah, when I grabbed the pot I thought it was going to be darker, for some reason I thought it was the old marine dark blue that I've never found a good replacement for, I have been considering putting a wash over it all to try and tie it all together but couldn't decide which to use, I think I'll have to experiment with one of the straight sections I made.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2023, 04:00:14 PM »
Well, I'm not entirely happy with them but they're done and more importantly I got to try out a couple of new techniques that I can do better in the future.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2023, 04:03:21 PM »
Works well  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2023, 07:39:33 PM »
Slight delay in replying, but cheers. ;D

Anyhow, my order from Northstar arrived yesterday so today I quickly threw together 3 ogres to make a legal unit (when added to the 2 ogres from Knightmare) and chucked some paint at them. There's the usual mild insanity of a wargames atlantic sprue, with some arm combinations labeled and some not, the sword combination needed the right arm shortened by 3mm or so  and angled to make it fit. Apart from some minor gripes it's a pretty good kit, just have to figure out what to do with the other 6 of them now, do I want a second unit armed differently or a massive unit with a rank bonus!!!!

Also I finished painting the greenskins from that magazine whatever it's called, I forgot already. Had the idea he'd be good as a black orc boss and so tried to get a darker skin colour.